Headphone tone

Well, MrE and me seem to be having the same experience with headphones.

I think I believe what Cliff is saying. My only problem lies in the fact that I have to use cans to tracks often enough, and I can't trust what I dial in so much. Considering I'm not recording the guitar to reamp, I'm left with what I tracked. That's all i'm saying.

Trem said:
Stereo is awesome but i started using mono, because stereo is deceiving when building a patch and not real world how you would usually record anyway.
Woot! Someone who thinks like I do. :mrgreen: mono kicks ass and the sound is more "amp-in-the-room" ish.

Well if your creating your patches with the monitors, then have to be recording with headphones at times you know what it's going to sound like when you play it back.

Plus if you've recorded something you think is perfect there's no telling what when your going to mix down it's probably going to be changing anyway in your daw with eq and plugins or re routing it thru the axe for effects, unless you plan to change the patch and re record, i wouldn't do that, any serious recording i'd be running a dry signal in case you want to reamp i wouldn't worry about perfect tone for base tracks myself. That's the flexibility in the modern age we have now against the the old way nothings set in stone. All we have to worry about really is the performance, sky's the limit with tone and stuff after that. You can think you have the perfect tone, it all changes in a mix.

I thought the issue was the enjoyment factor of just playing through phones.

So, if it still sounds bad when you use headphones but also have a speaker sounding in the same room as you, then maybe you'll need to adjust the level of that speaker so that it sounds/feels better.
I've adjusted the level to the level I play live = to match the level of the drums.
Loud enough?

Cliff may be a clever guy indeed but another clever guy said: "use your ears"
And I did. And what Cliff suggested didn't work. As I said in the post you provided a link to.

There must be something going on.
It seems that the annoying frequencies in the sound of the Ax-fx are only apparent when using cans or IEMs.
Perhaps because they are projected directly in your ear canal unlike with monitors.
Since all speakers, headphones and IEMS are not perfect and certainly not equal, it's possible that some people don't notice this because these frequencies aren't
reproduced as good.
One thing that does seem to help is not to turn up the level to high when using headphones/IEMs.
It might not seem loud but the way I check is, when playing with the band, I still have to be able to hear my voice "from the inside" when singing (or shouting).

MisterE said:
So, if it still sounds bad when you use headphones but also have a speaker sounding in the same room as you, then maybe you'll need to adjust the level of that speaker so that it sounds/feels better.
I've adjusted the level to the level I play live = to match the level of the drums.
Loud enough?

Cliff may be a clever guy indeed but another clever guy said: "use your ears"
And I did. And what Cliff suggested didn't work. As I said in the post you provided a link to.

There must be something going on.
It seems that the annoying frequencies in the sound of the Ax-fx are only apparent when using cans or IEMs.
Perhaps because they are projected directly in your ear canal unlike with monitors.
Since all speakers, headphones and IEMS are not perfect and certainly not equal, it's possible that some people don't notice this because these frequencies aren't
reproduced as good.
One thing that does seem to help is not to turn up the level to high when using headphones/IEMs.
It might not seem loud but the way I check is, when playing with the band, I still have to be able to hear my voice "from the inside" when singing (or shouting).

Post a patch tot take a look at?

reproduced as good.

Ah, if you are talking about the high end yes but to me that's the axe itself, it annoys me thru a cab or speakers as well, it's less though speaker because it's not straight to the brain, but I curve the highs and lows on all my patches anyway within a range with parametric or filters yeah otherwise i couldn't take it.

And yea if you crank the phones to loud without doing that i think you damage your hearing, lol. There is also a sweet spot in phones, if the volume is too low your not really hearing the full bloom of the sound of your patch it has to be at a certain level, you can hear the sound open up at a certain point.
Under that threshold it gets duller. Too far above and it's too loud and probably not good for your ears, there's a sweet spot.

My headphones being plugged into a mixer, if i needed i have the option to turn down the highs or whatever i want with the eq knobs without affecting the actual patch or sound going out if i'm recording.

If i'm just jamming i usually just turn the tone knob on my guitar down if it's my ash/maple i use custom caps/darker pickups as well so i can get rounder tones, so without these specific variables i got going on maybe yeah i could see your point. The axe itself has more lows and highs than 'i' need, the highs are dog whistle thru any form of speaker i noticed that the day i got it. I don't like it really so i eliminate them and is why i only need to use a traditional cab and even still have to tweak with the highs.

Back
Top Bottom