Headphone Sound Disappointing. User Error?

guitaroholic

Inspired
My headphone out sounds really weak and thin for presets coming out, when compared to music through USB. Running them out of output 1 (or 2 with FXL) sounds much better too. Still a little weak but better than the front out.

I thought it might be the headphones at first (AudioTechnica M50x), but the USB sound is fine through them.
AxeFX presets sound better through the rear outputs, but front or rear I need to crank the output knobs to max.
For non-headphone sound I am running a Friedman ASC-12.

The next thing I guess I'll check is increasing preset volumes. I have my amp blocks set to -10 to -20dB, trying to get equal volume levels among presets, with the volume knob at noon so I can go up and down without crawling behind the cab to adjust that volume. This dB adjustment also brings my presets inline with most factory presets volume-wise.
The Friedman is set at around 20% I think and pretty loud for home already with the above settings (dB on amps and knob at noon).

Would a headphone amp like a Schiit Magni help?

I'm searching too for a solution. I work 200 km from home on weekdays. I rent an unit in a Motel.
That could be my chance to use and get familiar with the AX8 I will order soon.
Since there is no Headphone output from the AX8 (a shame), what can I do ?
Bring along a small amp ? What about the ones next to my motel unit ?
I thought about an headphone with some sort of an amp Inside it but I don't know which one will fit.
I'm not familiar with that kind of tool.

Again, I can't understand why there's no output for an headphone. For an unit of that quality, it's a serious miss.

On the road , I use a small cheap mixer. I had a little Mackie 5 that worked great , and an Alesis which is ok. Out of the the AX8 into mixer , along with music from my phone , and a set of in-ears or studio headphones.
It'd been nice to have an input for aux and a headphone jack for traveling , but I'll do whatever I have to , to get the tones from the AX8.

My headphone out sounds really weak and thin for presets coming out, when compared to music through USB. Running them out of output 1 (or 2 with FXL) sounds much better too. Still a little weak but better than the front out.

I thought it might be the headphones at first (AudioTechnica M50x), but the USB sound is fine through them.
AxeFX presets sound better through the rear outputs, but front or rear I need to crank the output knobs to max.
For non-headphone sound I am running a Friedman ASC-12.

The next thing I guess I'll check is increasing preset volumes. I have my amp blocks set to -10 to -20dB, trying to get equal volume levels among presets, with the volume knob at noon so I can go up and down without crawling behind the cab to adjust that volume. This dB adjustment also brings my presets inline with most factory presets volume-wise.
The Friedman is set at around 20% I think and pretty loud for home already with the above settings (dB on amps and knob at noon).

Would a headphone amp like a Schiit Magni help?

Is this a new or used unit?

Fwiw, I could never get enough volume out of the front of the AxeFX & I’ve owned both the II & IIXL+ with the same ATM50x.
I’ve since bought a APHEX Headpod 4 Headphone Amp & a pair of Sony MDR-7520’s which handle up to 4 or 5w something ridiculous and are super low impedance. So they crank, ear damagingly so. They’re closed backed, but still have a fantastic sound stage for closed backed cans. I highly recommend them, much much better than the AT’s, by far.
You can go right out of the AxeFX SPDIF into the Headpod too, or you go out output 1 or 2.
But, short answer to your question, imo, yes a Headphone Amp will make a night & day difference. However, I personally could never get enough volume & depth from the AT’s.

I have a newer XL+ and the volume on it is plenty out the front jacks. Some presets I have to turn up to 30 percent but most i have just sitting at 25 percent. I don't think I have ever had it over 35 or so, would fry my hearing.

Your headphone out should be better, I can't pick any difference between Axe and a $700 headphone amp. Maybe it's broken, contact support.

With my ATM50's and my XL, anything past around 10 o'clock on the output knob starts getting painfully loud.

So I got a little Mackie to mix iPhone playback and Output 2 to the headset. Sounds fine.
It's really the headphone out on the front panel that's lacking.
I wish the Output 2 Echo would copy the USB coming to Output 1 as well... that way I could control FRFR and headphone with front knobs 1 and 2.

If it's a new unit i would just have it fixed. The front headphone output really is good when functioning properly

I use a pair of comfy studio cans (AKG K240's) and I also find the front headphone jack to be slightly anemic. I've got a lot of equipment at my disposal to use, but my favorite solution has been my IBasso “D2+ Boa” portable headphone amp. Although I bought it for use with iDevices/IEM’s when traveling it has plenty of power for the K240’s and can input analog or USB digital - or both simultaneously. It also has an internal lithium ion cell, so no grounding issues. Out of production, but there are plenty of low-cost ($200-ish) headphone amps out there with similar features/specs.

Check out headfi.org to learn more.

My first experience with using headphones out the AxeFx everything sounded like shit. Patches were built in a room with cab playing loud so I expect it to sound like shit because with headphones I'm not hearing the room. Better just rebuild patch with different IR

I'm using the AxeFx II MKII with an AKG K601.
120 Ohm impedance.
More than enough power, if I tweak presets in a normal (volume)range.
No problems here.

I'm using the AxeFx II MKII with an AKG K601.
120 Ohm impedance.
More than enough power, if I tweak presets in a normal (volume)range.
No problems here.
So you're saying u can use the same preset you play when jamming and when u use headphones...and the sound doesn't degrade and still sounds just as good? How's this possible unless your preset is a shunt? Or your headphones are the best of the best!

“The right match for Mr. Frog is Mrs. Frog.”
What is great gain-structure and awesome tone and “plenty loud” is absolutely in the Ears of The Listener. Clean tone with punch and no headroom compression can be a Very Different Beast from metal shred with hot levels whose yellow LEDs are lit solid 100% of the time. Biggest sound Keef ever got in the studio was through a 10” Champ.

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

So you're saying u can use the same preset you play when jamming and when u use headphones...and the sound doesn't degrade and still sounds just as good? How's this possible unless your preset is a shunt? Or your headphones are the best of the best!

Read his first post!
He's mainly talking about the sound/volume of the headphone out!
It's impossible, that you/I have an identical sound when playing thru
headphones and/or playing thru power amp and a real cab.
So my answer is: No

Curious, Ralph - what kinds of music, fave amp/cab/etc?
Everything from crystal clean to evh juiced up marshalls. Sounds incredible through the headphones using my AxeFx II. I've used two different headphones - nothing too expensive. And it just sounds massive. I have to say that I also like listening to music with headphones. I like to hear every detail.

Back
Top Bottom