Headphone Output pop when powering down

Jzbass25

I currently use my headphones to play most of the time but I noticed powering down my axe causes a loud pop in my headphones, Is this normal and are there any ways to avoid it other than unplugging my headphones before powering the axe off? I tried searching around but I’ve mostly seen other threads talking about powering down pop with a power amp.

Thanks

This is normal behaviour and not unusual for audio interfaces. Best practice with studio monitors is you should always switch them off first, and then your Axe-Fx (or any other audio interface). For headphones, I have always kept the output all the way down however that said, I always take the cans off before I power down so I don't know if that makes a difference. Either way, it shouldn't cause your headphones any damage when the output is at a reasonable level.

Curious your getting any “pops” on the III

Mine has a “soft” power up where I can leave my monitors on and they don’t “pop” like my II used to do. Always had to power stuff off and then turn them on after the Axe booted before but the III has been great with solving that issue

Mine has a “soft” power up where I can leave my monitors on and they don’t “pop” like my II used to do. Always had to power stuff off and then turn them on after the Axe booted before but the III has been great with solving that issue

IIRC, the soft power up only applies to the rear outputs, not the headphones. I could be wrong though, I will have to check it out the next time I have headphones handy.

Try the same with headphone output (front panel), switch off the unit while having your headphones hooked to your ears. You should hear a decent loud pop.

Back
Top Bottom