Headphone Jack IEMs VS Actual FOH Sound

I think I heard the answer although it probably needs to be confirmed by FAS. The headphone out is not line level and the rear outputs are which means your not hearing the patch at full gain through the headphone out.

Solution, do what I do and get a cheap 1/4mono x 1/4mono to 1/8 strereo Y cable and write patches using the rear outputs in stereo. I even leave them plugged in all the time because I go direct to FOH via left and right XLR.

I think I heard the answer although it probably needs to be confirmed by FAS. The headphone out is not line level and the rear outputs are which means your not hearing the patch at full gain through the headphone out.

Solution, do what I do and get a cheap 1/4mono x 1/4mono to 1/8 strereo Y cable and write patches using the rear outputs in stereo. I even leave them plugged in all the time because I go direct to FOH via left and right XLR.

Great idea! i am going to do that, I do the same thing XLR to the FOH. Im going to have my tech make the Y cable long enough so i can have it in the front of the rack
. He also said it should be easy to just rewire those two outputs to a summed stereo input and replace that where the headphone jack is.. So if it works out he might do that in the future. If this is the case what exactly is the use of the headphone jack? obviously there is something in the chain to the headphone jack that is making the tone different. i thought the whole point of it was to edit patches as you would hear them going through the outputs..

so are we saying that the headphone out on the front does not send the full tone/signal?

of course the headphone out isn't line level, but that shouldn't mean that the sound is different (though multiple people are saying it is). hmm...

I had a similar experience. The headphone output with my westone um2's was alot harsher and the body and feeling I heard through a DAW and small monitors was completely different. I don't know if
it is due to an impedence issue with the headphones or what. I did notice that running out of the rear outs to a small mixer and using the headphone jack on the mixer seemed to sound better.

Yes. I haven't seen a circuit diagram but the signal flow diagram indicates this. It probably is getting amplified though.
Sorry, meant "signal flow" not circuit diagram. My bad.

Tho' I do think it's strange that folks are saying that the phones out differs from OUT1...
Will have to do some testing....

I just got mine yesterday and the headphone out sounds bad on both my old akg 2400df's and my sony mdr 7509hd's. The out coming from axe fx 1 and 2 to my crappy jbl studio monitors sounds amazing though...whats that about? I owned an rme 800 previously and the headphone out sounded the same as the monitors. Hopefully cliff is looking into this; the wall behind me is shared with another family :-/

Back
Top Bottom