Headed to London for 3 Days with Family...

Scented Meat

Power User
...and none of us have been there. What must we not miss? Suggestions appreciated. I'll be with 18-yr old son, 11 year-old daughter, and my wife.

Tate Modern is nice. British Library. Science Museum. Natural History Museum. V&A. Anything else I can think up is not suitable for an 11 year old!

Tate Modern is nice. British Library. Science Museum. Natural History Museum. V&A. Anything else I can think up is not suitable for an 11 year old!

These are all places we've been considering, so thanks for confirming. Gonna be a busy 3 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, keep an eye out for organised criminal gangs, such as pick pockets and scam artists. They are EVERYWHERE in London. keep your wallet in your front pocket and keeps the kids in sight at all times. I don't want to scare you, but criminals do not discriminate between adults and children.

3 Rules:

- Look RIGHT before crossing.
- Heed escalator etiquette. (stand right / don't block).
- Mind The Gap!

Last edited:
Also - if you are thrifty like me: take the tube to / from airport (fast, clean, low cost). For that matter, take the tube everywhere.

There are so many things to do you won't get a chance to do all of them so just do what you can and don't try to see too much or you will get worn out. The museums are fabulous, especially the Natural History one (be aware that the Imperial War Museum is closed until some time in July). The main tourist spots are (obviously) really busy most of the time, for example shopping on Oxford Street but there are some neat little pubs and eateries tucked away down the side streets and these are often much quieter. Take care though and don't travel too far from the beaten path! Hyde Park is a nice open space and Speakers Corner is home to some colourful characters.

The Royal Observatory in Greenwich (pronounced Grenidge, not green witch) is different, you can stand astride the Prime Meridian which is the line that officially separates East and West, that might appeal to the youngsters? There are other attractions at the same place like the Cutty Sark and the National Maritime Museum all in an amazing location and you could easily spend a day there. Of course the kids may prefer to go on the Harry potter studio tour - Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

Just remember that London is not really representative of the UK, it is very cosmopolitan and almost a world of it's own like many large cities. You need to get out of London to see the real UK like rural Gloucestershire where everything is slower paced and far more civilised! Anyway, enjoy, hope it doesn't rain (too much!).

There are so many things to do you won't get a chance to do all of them so just do what you can and don't try to see too much or you will get worn out. The museums are fabulous, especially the Natural History one (be aware that the Imperial War Museum is closed until some time in July). The main tourist spots are (obviously) really busy most of the time, for example shopping on Oxford Street but there are some neat little pubs and eateries tucked away down the side streets and these are often much quieter. Take care though and don't travel too far from the beaten path! Hyde Park is a nice open space and Speakers Corner is home to some colourful characters.

The Royal Observatory in Greenwich (pronounced Grenidge, not green witch) is different, you can stand astride the Prime Meridian which is the line that officially separates East and West, that might appeal to the youngsters? There are other attractions at the same place like the Cutty Sark and the National Maritime Museum all in an amazing location and you could easily spend a day there. Of course the kids may prefer to go on the Harry potter studio tour - Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

Just remember that London is not really representative of the UK, it is very cosmopolitan and almost a world of it's own like many large cities. You need to get out of London to see the real UK like rural Gloucestershire where everything is slower paced and far more civilised! Anyway, enjoy, hope it doesn't rain (too much!).

Great advice, thanks! As it happens, we've already secured tix for the Harry Potter gig. The Royal Observatory and Natural History museum sound like good options. Will check them out.

All the museums are enormous, and contain more than your brain can absorb. The British Museum currently has an exhibition of early books. You can see the oldest book written in "English", even 'though I couldn't read a word of it, and really ancient copies of biblical book. It is amazing to look at something that old, and that important to our cultural history.

Where are you staying?

Back
Top Bottom