Having to abort Scenes.. do I have options?

bryguy

Joined a new band, have an upcoming gig shortly and unfortunately my MFC needs to go in for repair.

So.. instead of dwelling on that, I figure I am going to try and use my old Ground Control Pro and see if I can get by while that process gets taken care of. I was (and still am).. a huge fan of scenes in 9.0. Seeing as I won't have my MFC and supposedly the GCP doesn't support scenes due to some type of extended messaging...

If I stack four presets with the exact same effects settings (obviously bypassing certain effects to make them different, can I get the "same" results and spillover between the 4? (I guess altering scene 1 in each to adjust for levels)..

I guess I'm trying to determine what life was like before scenes and whether there was something similar but just not as user-friendly.. obviously they introduced scenes for a valid reason, so I must be losing out on something.

Thanks for any guidance... perhaps it is just simple and I'm over-analyzing it...

..Bryan

The GCP will not send a CC#34 with a value? Hmmm. I like the sscenes but could live without them if I had to. You have plenty of buttons on the GCP so you should be fine. 4 presets and 8 IA's or something like that sounds fine. I cannot comment on the splillover question though. Sorry. I am sure someone else will chime in

Who said it doesn't can't do scenes? You just have to program the CC's into the gcp

Yeah, the GCPro can only send values of 0 or 127 for the CCs. Scenes require values of 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 to correspond to scenes 1-8. So, 0 will work, and I guess 127 will cause a recall of scene 8 (haven't tried that myself since my LF+Jr+ doesn't have this limitation).

Did you not have an Axe before v9? Before scenes a lot of people did as you're describing and just used different presets. It's what I did with my GCP. You can get the same idea but it takes a tad more work to get spillover to work correctly and get the levels right but there won't be gapless switching there is with the majority of scenes. It will still get the job done.

you could also use ia's to simply turn individual fx on and off within a single patch. set up 5 switches to send out 5 different cc numbers (1 to 5 is probably best) and then go into i/o > ctrl and make external controllers have the values 1-5. you can then use those 5 switches to mute and unmute as many fx as you want and also change delay and reverb levels as needed. so for a lead boost, you could unmute a drive block in front of the amp, unmute a null filter after the amp with a couple of db boost, increase the delay level (or switch to a different delay) and increase reverb level. use the others to bypass phasers, flangers, choruses, switch amps, increase input trim etc etc etc...

Thanks Bakerman, Muzza_Boogie.. i followed your advise and that will do the trick.. I also took Simeon's and set up the IAs for the effects bypass and will give those a shot after.
It took me a bit to get the GCP setup so that I could get things aligned, but I think I'm well on my way and much more assured.
Greatly appreciated folks!!! Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom