Having effects swell in?

ConnorGilks

Experienced
Hey guys! :)

I've made some patches I really dig and I was wondering if there's a way to have certain effects (such as delay and reverb) swell in instead of triggering right away. The direct sound (or one of the rows) would be unaffected, but another parallel row with say chorus, reverb or whatever would only coming in slowly after a bit. Someone mentioned copying some blocks from other settings, but I'd rather know what everything actually does, and how to do it from scratch so I can learn more and recreate it later. Knowing the theory behind something is always more beneficial anyways.

Thanks!

Stick a volume block first in your side chain before the fx and tie the volume param to the envelope modifier. Increase the damp param on the linking page.

I actually do this myself. I have designated certain External Controllers for different effect blocks. I leave the effects on always but I use the External Controller to bring the mix or volume of the block up. I put a bit of Damping on the controller to fade it in. That way my effects don't just jump out of nowhere. I think this works really well for the Rotary Block in particular. It sounds a lot more smooth and natural that there is a bit if a fade in rather than it all of a sudden going 100%. I use this approach also on my Phaser Block.

Example. Phaser is on all the time. I assign External 6 (for example) to the mix parameter and put a 300ms damp on it. set minimum parameter to 0% and max to 50% and there you go. That should work for you.

Also for Delays sounds I would suggest assigning the External Controller to the Input Gain parameter rather than the Mix or Level parameter.

Great suggestions, guys.

+1 on envelope controller (if it has to be automated) and often I assign it to both input gain (when available) and the level to make the swell smooth.

Back
Top Bottom