Having a lot of trouble getting a TRS to TS cable

I think you are off base.

Just use an unbalanced cable or a balanced cable for the FOH connection.

The humbuster cable references are about guitar amplifier efx loops, not for FOH or stagebox connections.

Richard

I think you are off base.

Just use an unbalanced cable or a balanced cable for the FOH connection.

The humbuster cable references are about guitar amplifier efx loops, not for FOH or stagebox connections.

Richard
Okay, wow. Let's just assume I want to use the 4 cable method at some point. Now I got ground issues.
Can we now please put that topic aside and instead focus on the questions asked in this thread, not some smartass advices nobody asked about?

Hello everyone. I want to buy some TRS to TS cables for using the humbuster effect of the Axe to reduce ground noise on Output 2 (which is currently used as output for a second guitar).

However, I'm having a lot of trouble to actually find such cables.

I found two possible workaround-solutions:

A TRS to XLR cable, to connect directly to the FOH.
A TRS to TRS-jack cable.

If I use the first one, will the reduced ground noise effect work? After all, the signal is still symmetrical when reaching the FOH?
If I use the second one in combination with an ordinary Guitar cable, will it work?

Thanks in advance. I'm not that good with polarity and stuff and just wanted to go sure I don't spend money on something that doesn't work at the end.

The problem is, both of your workarounds depend on the gear you are using. There is no set answer yes or no as to whether they will break a ground loop. It depends on the nature of the ground loop.

The wiki and the manual have good information about the humbuster stuff.

TS to XLR and TRS cables and adapters can be found using Google. I searched for "TS to XLR" and got lots of options.

Okay, wow. Let's just assume I want to use the 4 cable method at some point. Now I got ground issues.
Can we now please put that topic aside and instead focus on the questions asked in this thread, not some smartass advices nobody asked about?

I'm thinking the AXE FX is maybe not for you. Maybe not your thing...:razz

So, do you actually have a hum problem connecting a regular TS-TS from Out 2, compared to XLR from Out 1?

If you want to use a TRS - TRS, just shortcut R and S at the mixer end.

Your best bet if you do but want to pay over seas shipping is make one your self. Buys trs to trs cable, buy a ts end cut one end off the trs cable solder it like the manual says and boom you're done

Not sure if serious or just trolling, but do you have a instrument shop near by? Have them make you the cables according to the manual? Most shops have techs or someone capable of making cables.

What I don't know is how the humbuster technology works. That's why I asked...
Humbuster uses a 3-conductor cable. The extra conductor needs to be connected to the shield, at the receiving-equipment end. That extra conductor picks up the same ground noise that the rest of the cable does. The Axe-Fx reads that noise from the ring connection on its jack. Then it sends the same noise back down the cable, except that it's out of phase. The idea is thta the out-of-phase noise will cancel out the in-phase noise.

Bottom line: the extra conductor needs to be connected to the shield at the receiving equipment end. If that happens inside the jack, that's great. But it's not likely. A TRS input at your mixer won't connect them together unless the manufacturer provides a way to make that happen. It won't happen with a TS jack, either. A TRS-to-XLR cable won't do it. Neither will a TRS-to-TRS jack cable. And humbuster won't work if the receiving equipment has a balanced input.

Bottom bottom line: if you're not comfortable making the cable yourself, follow 8string's advice: take your manual to a guitar shop or repair place, show them the picture, and ask them to make you one.

I want to buy some TRS to TS cables
However, I'm having a lot of trouble to actually find such cables.
I'm not that good with polarity and stuff and just wanted to go sure I don't spend money on something that doesn't work at the end.

Also, my question was not where to get TRS to TS cables.

Seriously, stop giving answers to questions never asked. What the hell is wrong with you guys?

I need an answer to the following question:
Does a TRS to TRS-jack adapter cable work in combination with a TS to TS cable?
This is what I'm asking. Nothing else. I don't want to know wether it makes sense or anything else ... I am requesting an answer to this particular question. Because I want to learn something about it, not get advices for stuff I'm not interested in. Jesus...

Look, I know the basics of symmetrical and non-symmetrical connections. I know what ground noise is and how it works.

Just wanted to sum things up.

And its all described in the Manual too.

What the OP is describing isnt a work-around (quite why he referes to it as such??). Theres a reason its described in the manual - its because thats how it works, no other way. 3 core cable at one end connected to 3 connectors - same 3 core cable at the other end connected to 2 connectors, with the 2 signal cables joined.

Humbuster uses a 3-conductor cable. The extra conductor needs to be connected to the shield, at the receiving-equipment end. That extra conductor picks up the same ground noise that the rest of the cable does. The Axe-Fx reads that noise from the ring connection on its jack. Then it sends the same noise back down the cable, except that it's out of phase. The idea is thta the out-of-phase noise will cancel out the in-phase noise.

Bottom line: the extra conductor needs to be connected to the shield at the receiving equipment end. If that happens inside the jack, that's great. But it's not likely. A TRS input at your mixer won't connect them together unless the manufacturer provides a way to make that happen. It won't happen with a TS jack, either. A TRS-to-XLR cable won't do it. Neither will a TRS-to-TRS jack cable. And humbuster won't work if the receiving equipment has a balanced input.

Bottom bottom line: if you're not comfortable making the cable yourself, follow 8string's advice: take your manual to a guitar shop or repair place, show them the picture, and ask them to make you one.
Thanks for this post. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like there is no way around a 'real' TRS to TS cable. Guess I'll have to solder some then.

As a side note I did notice some ground noise when comparing Out 2 unbalanced to mixer with Out 1 balanced to mixer. That's why I made this thread. I might be hearing ghosts here, as the difference is very subtle, but still, it's there.

Back
Top Bottom