Have we reached a point

I feel like most axefx owners spend more time here asking for stuff than appreciating what they have and actually using it
Perhaps some, not most. Many of us are just quietly pinching ourselves that we even own this wonderful device at all.

Big reports, requests, wishes - they’re all great. Most are very polite. I find it unreasonably annoying, however, when the occasional rascal tries to ‘supervise’ Fractal Audio.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cliff is getting close to being pleased with his amp modeling since releasing Cygnus. Is it finished? I would be hard pressed to say that he's done trying to improve any part in the current product line, whether it be amp modeling, effects or IRs. Could be that he's working on a completely new platform. Guys like Cliff are once in a generation type people; extremely smart, gifted and passionate, never settling for 'good enough'. He seems to be one of the fortunate ones who doesn't have to work, he gets to do what he loves.

Working From Home, plugged in my Gibson Gold Top, cranked a JCM800 patch, no reverb, no delay, just raw amp sound, cranked my speakers...…yeah, I don't need anything more thank you :)

I’ve used AxeFxs since 2007 and I feel I’ve barely scratched the surface.
I haven't been using FAS as long as you, (since 2010), but I feel the same. I generally tell others asking about FAS that I've probably only got into 45% of the capabilities of what the black box can do. With the continuous updates over the last decade I doubt that I will ever get much past that.

Which is Ok, because over this past decade, regardless of the FAS unit I had, it sounded great and provided for flexibility and creativity. Every. Friggin. Time.

We have it so good at this point that the most exciting update for me to my FM3 has been the shortcut doubleclick functions.

I don't find modeling updates particularly exciting anymore because I have been happy with how Fractal sounds since the Axe-Fx 2 Ares firmware.

Though there is a point with any engineering project where the hardware capabilities create a barrier for future firmware development. Not quite sure we're there yet.

How close are we to filling up the firmware space on the existing III?

Asked another way, how much longer will the III be supported before new features are III Mark II only?

To which Cliff said
It's not extra firmware space. There's already plenty of that.

It's extra FLASH for "future expansion". This might be factory or user cabs or some other data. I have several ideas I'm kicking around that would use it.

I suspect new DSP and CPU will hit the market well before the memory will be used up.

(I said it before and I'll say it again) - it seems to be a pattern that someone drops a post that is kind of instigating....and they never come back to post again. Troll-ish.

(I said it before and I'll say it again) - it seems to be a pattern that someone drops a post that is kind of instigating....and they never come back to post again. Troll-ish.
It could be a Troll post but he might be the kind of person that doesn't live on the forum and has other priorities (not saying that the others here don't) just that this guy doesn't seem to post a lot or could be one of those posts that was done on a whim not really thinking about the fall out of that type of question.

With 320 posts to his credit it's not out of the realm of asking it! I know I did it once back when the Axe FX II was launched and was pounded by the forum for posing that type of question! And I wasn't trying to be a smart as it was a genuine question "Can it get any better?".

To the OP... I can unequivocally say that based on my 15 year of using their products FAS will always continue to improve on their products period! Until Cliff either sells the company or just calls it quits, it will more that likely be that way.

I’ve used AxeFxs since 2007 and I feel I’ve barely scratched the surface.

I hear you there man...I've had Fractal stuff since 2009 and, while I've spend a lot of time over the years poking into the various nooks-and-crannies the devices offer, I've not even come close to discovering, and utilizing, all they can do.

Back
Top Bottom