Closed Have the ability to set a block channel to Type = 'None' for CPU efficient scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laffinarab

I already load up a scene with the least intensive block types for effects etc that I wont be using within that scene.

For example the shimmer verb in the plex delay block, is only used in one scene so I have channel B set to another type to reduce CPU load when not in use in other scenes.

Is it feasible to take this one step further so the block reserves it's place on the grid whilst having minimal impact on CPU usage? Obviously when you hit the bypass switch nothing would happen unless you changed channels again.

Im just trying to avoid having to switch presets live, but also not have the CPU running harder than it needs to either - hits high 80s in my shimmer verb scene.

Apologies in advance if I have missed this feature or it has been asked for before - I have had a look and couldnt see any info on it.

I believe that the effect algorithms need to be loaded even if not active, so I don't think it's possible... But who knows?

No, you can’t leave out an effect you’re going to use until you want to use it. When you want to use it, you don’t want to have to wait for it to be loaded into your preset.

No, you can’t leave out an effect you’re going to use until you want to use it. When you want to use it, you don’t want to have to wait for it to be loaded into your preset.
But as i say, in these instances i dont want to use those effects. In those scenes i switch channel on any unused block to one which has least cpu impact, so it would be irrelevant to me if it wasnt available via bypass switch. Seems only the block's loaded channel has bearing on cpu useage so i would sacrifice a channel to allow for minimal load

But as i say, in these instances i dont want to use those effects. In those scenes i switch channel on any unused block to one which has least cpu impact, so it would be irrelevant to me if it wasnt available via bypass switch. Seems only the block's loaded channel has bearing on cpu useage so i would sacrifice a channel to allow for minimal load
A channel is just a set of numbers describing how a block should be configured. The block is still present and running in your preset, regardless of which channel you're using to configure it.

Let's say you only want to run Reverb and Plex Delay separately, and never together — to save CPU. You're running your Reverb scene, and you switch to your Plex scene. Which block gets bypassed/unbypassed first? If Plex gets switched first, you're briefly running both blocks. If you want reverb tails to ring out after the scene change, you have no choice but to run both blocks at once. It's safer to just make sure that all those blocks together don't blow past the CPU limit.

Not true, if i switch my plex delay block from shimmer verb channel to plex delay channel, my cpu usage drops ~12%.
I'm asking if a channel type can be created to further reduce this load - accepting the fact the block would be effectively nullified until you switch channels again

Not true...
All true.

I'm asking if a channel type can be created to further reduce this load - accepting the fact the block would be effectively nullified until you switch channels again
Maybe I wasn't clear on what your wish is. From the thread title, I took it to mean that you wanted the block to essentially not exist when set to the "none" channel. Minimizing CPU usage with a non-functional channel might be a feasible idea. It might also cause a bit of user confusion when blocks are "engaged but not." )

This is a cool idea but could lead to mass confusion.

“I set the block type to none and I get no effects.”

“I have the Plex block in Scene 1 and the CPU is 80% but I switch channels in Scene 2 and now my cpu is over 95%, why?”

Also the concept is that the block is there ready to go at all times. Sure some types use less CPU than others in the same block, but I’m not sure how it would handle the Plex block going from 5% low cpu “none” usage to suddenly 25%. Not sure anything but reverb can do something that drastic.

Maybe it could work but I think we’ve discussed this before for the Axe2 and it’s just really complicated for an already deep device.

Maybe a 'Null' model could be created as a low CPU placeholder?

What would you gain with the CPU temporarily less, when on the bypassed 'Null' model? When you change to your needed channel, the CPU will increase to where it is with the current way that it is.

And there would likely be a gap while the working model is loaded when changing channels.

In all fairness Chris, this is exactly what you experience with CPU optimised scenes anyway - some scenes have a high CPU usage compared to others.
in practice, i would null my delay block while using shimmer verb as one example, then use scenes to switch out shimmer verb and give me acces to delay again. This would actually just maintain CPU rather than have it spike in the heavy scenes

In all fairness Chris, this is exactly what you experience with CPU optimised scenes anyway - some scenes have a high CPU usage compared to others.
in practice, i would null my delay block while using shimmer verb as one example, then use scenes to switch out shimmer verb and give me acces to delay again. This would actually just maintain CPU rather than have it spike in the heavy scenes
You would loose any Delay and/or Reverb tails?

You would loose any Delay and/or Reverb tails?

Lose, not loose. Of course this sort of "none" channel should be avoided when you want effect trails on bypass.

I could see this being useful with other blocks if the switching could avoid CPU spikes. I don't think it would be a big deal to hear the dry sound for a few dozen ms when something like a flanger bypasses before a chorus goes out of "none" mode to engage.

There is a spreadsheet somewhere with the cpu usage of various block types. Just choose the cheapest one as a proxy for your null mode. For example., I think spring reverb is the cheapest reverb.

There is a spreadsheet somewhere with the cpu usage of various block types. Just choose the cheapest one as a proxy for your null mode. For example., I think spring reverb is the cheapest reverb.
Thanks for the suggestion, I do already do this though

I get null or other placeholder might be confusing for some users - as per Chris's examples.

What might be easier on users/support staff, is when the mix is set to 0% (and no modifier attached), the block effectively gets turned off to save CPU.
Anybody who bothered to RTFM would know this trick, but others would be never impacted.

The logic could apply to all blocks universally to save CPU as and when a user needs.

IMHO no one pointed out the biggest concern: load time to switch from null to something else. That will create latency during scene switching as the block will need to mute its I/O when loading the algorithm and setting the parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom