Has the Axe FX peaked?

sirus1987

Inspired
Although I havent posted much on here, I check the site almost daily for new updates. The updates these days are becoming fewer and further between. I cant tell if this is because the pros over at Fractal have run out of places to go or if a new unit is in the works. It would be nice to get some feedback from an admin, but your thoughts guys?

There's ALWAYS room for improvement!

One thing to consider is that for a while the pace of updates was accelerated during the wildly creative cycle of epiphanies and engineering that resulted in Quantum. Now that that "the Q series" has become more solid, things have naturally slowed down a bit.

Most of the "wishlist" items you see these days are things that are already possible. A portion of the remainder are things that are not practical. Others are on the horizon still... and indeed... there WILL be more updates for the Axe-Fx!

As Matt said, always room for improvement. Cruise over to 'Wish List' and see if it inspires anything you might want to ask for. The question is though, what more do you need. or want? I, personally, think that cab development has come very far, but has some way to go before it's 'plug and play' like most analog rigs.

But, cynically on my part, this seems like an attempt to get a 'The next Axe FX' announcement.

Only real thing I'd like and I'm not sure how possible this would be, I'd like the axe pitch block to do drop tuning like the Digitech drop pedal. Outside of that the axe fx is everything I need.

The FAS team continues to evolve the product, and each step forward has been awesome. Like I have said many times, all my other gear just gets older. My FX just gets better.

TBH, I am enjoying the development pace, right now. I feel like the modeling is so good and highly evolved that major, preset destroying updates are not as regularly needed as they had been when regular breakthroughs were to be made. I am not hearing anything lacking tonally in any of the genres I am into... The current pace feels like development and improvements are continuing but not implementing change for change's sake.

Would love to see a new amp and FX only update from FAS; I am getting the best tones I have ever had with any rig so not "needing" huge changes in algorithms.

It's sort of like other areas of tech. Any new technology starts out making mind boggling leapfrogging jumps but over time matures to the point where improvement for that paradigm is primarily incremental going forward or stays peaked for a long time until some major disruptive force from the outside forces a it off a plateau. I think modeling is hitting this and the Axe is the top of the heap.

Much like the iPhone and many tech products that come out, at first there are leaps and bounds, then subtle refinements, but still, we'll always have improvements. If the AxeFX is like the iPhone, will they get rid of the headphone jack in the AxeFX? ;-)

It's still the greatest piece of guitar gear I've ever owned, by far.

The Fractal folks put out more updates in a slow period than the manufacturers of my other gear put out... period... at all... like, ever. I can see many more things in the coming months or even years. The platform is far from its end of life.

I'm really enjoying revisiting things.

For example, I spent a lot of time with the factory presets last night; turning blocks on / off; making a few of my now usual advanced param tweaks. Some great tones in those presets!

Also, I revisited the rotary. I was putting together a Swart preset and added the rotary block; all defaults except for the low rotor rate I increased. Wow, when did the rotary get so frickin good??? Love it.

Back
Top Bottom