Has Cliff posted any clips of the new Pentode-based modeling yet?

It's possible that the Premier Guitar video with Dweezil features that new modeling, although there's been no mention of it around the thread for that video. It did feature the new Lonestar model, so it's quite possible that he implemented the new pentode modeling with the Texas Star at the same time.

mm I think the pentode modelling is new and after La amp show .I could be wrong but I think the Lonestar lead ,IR capture was done for that ..but the pentode modelling and an updated Cameron are more recent

The new power amp modeling was done after the show. A few people have beta copies. I sent a copy to Mortega. He claims it sounds better than his Triple Recto.

I've since made some refinements and added a transformer matching parameter so you can now adjust the OT primary impedance. This allows you to make the virtual power tubes clip sooner or later relative to the phase inverter.

It's going to be a little while longer while we get the USB installer, Axe-Edit, etc. finished.

can't wait for this update, i think it will address all the issues i have with the 2. How exciting.

Ah, cool! Any negative feedback stuff being added since you have the pentode tube now? (Just remembering my Egnater amp seminar circuit...)

The new power amp modeling was done after the show. A few people have beta copies. I sent a copy to Mortega. He claims it sounds better than his Triple Recto.

I've since made some refinements and added a transformer matching parameter so you can now adjust the OT primary impedance. This allows you to make the virtual power tubes clip sooner or later relative to the phase inverter.

It's going to be a little while longer while we get the USB installer, Axe-Edit, etc. finished.

Did I say "better"? It blew it out of the water... starting with 2.0 it made the Axe-fx II a Beast... but now (to use Scott's infamous quote) 2.1 has made this thing a "Monster"... I had mentioned in another post how I had to kick up the bias and kick up the low end and some high end in the 8-band EQ to make it sound close my buddy's Triple Recto... but now I didn't even have to touch the bias or the EQ...

The Carvin F1200 with the Axe2 sound really...

My buddy is jamming with us in PigWeed now so his Recto has been in our jam room for a couple of weeks and we're A/B'ing it using my two Identical (slant/straight) Marshall cabs... Still haven't had a chance to critically hear via my monitors or BD headphones since we jammed on Monday and watched Paranormal Activity last night... We're jamming tonight and we have a show opening up for 10 Years tomorrow here in SA... Big free show at BackStage Live... 2.1 will be there...

I was never truly content with the Ultra since I started with it at FW 5.13... And even with the Axe-fx II on the first firmware I wasn't totally convinced... But 2.0 and now 2.1 makes me not even think about any tube amps...

P.S. The Cameron sounds freaking mean now... Pissed off even!!!! Can't wait to start using that amp sim... It's times like these that I wish I had two Axe-fx II's... One at the jam room and one at home... Gotta hit the lotto soon!!! ;)

I do not have clips; been too busy rehearsing/gigging/studio work (Saturday is an all day recording session) and I can probably share something after that point (well, Sunday evening I'll be in the clear till Wednesday).

This new firmware and the G2 Pentode modeling is useful, practical and powerful. With one parameter (as it is in the version I have at this juncture) you can dial up the 'tightness' or the 'give' of the power amp in addition to the G2 Triode preamp modeling. This allows you to essentially 'tune' in your tubes for not only the preamp, but now for the power amp.

This makes FRFR a different ballgame again (Cliff has a way of changing the game consistently), and IMHO makes everything pop and cut better without any apparent sizzle/fizz/hash on the top end... just more dynamic and (gulp, cliche) organic. There now is more 'meat' on everything. It holds better as you play dynamically, has more girth and slam while also being *user adjustable* so you can - with one parameter setting - really dial in your preferred feel and response. I'd just call the Pentode/Triode parameters the 'feel' parameters. Adjust these to taste, and you've essentially tube-swapped, biased and tweaked out your amp to fit YOU, not some snapshot profile that someone else likes. Just this feature -alone- makes the evolution of what Fractal is doing skip ahead even further than before. FRFR is getting more and more attractive and I am digging it.

The IR capture also can be thought of not only 'make your own cab IR' but will let the 'match EQ' thing out of the cage. This will turn out, if I am right, to be the next 'big' thing folks grab onto and share. This is the Axe-FX II's "add your own User IR's" big 'holy sh**!' addition that spins everything differently. Yes, you can do things like shoot IR's of anything that passes sound and essentially hands you 'profiling' with 60+ amp profile 'bases' (instead of just 2 from own well discussed yet to be released box). Again, the game and possibilities are changed - even when you thought, 'what the hell is left to even do with this? Where else can it go?"

The TxStar is really my favorite Mesa type of tone that I've ever heard/used; and the Cameron's now have more 'meat' to go with their 'sizzle'.

There is still work to be done on the USB side - but the possibilities for monitoring will be worth the wait.

As this goes, this is indeed a very very desirable firmware update. If I had to give it a name (ala the Android paradigm of naming their major firmware updates) I'd call this the 'Holy Sh**' firmware. :D

This is worth waiting for guys. Let them have the time to get all the ducks in a row, dot the 'i's and cross the 't's.

This one is a big deal.

Last edited:
nice ! is that similar to the Gen 1's Transformer Match parameter ?

Most of the AC/DC tones I've heard (some pretty darn good) from the AxeFX have always seem to lack something that I hear in Angus's tone. I'm not sure if the difference I hear is a tone that is less complex or lacks some harmonics found in his or what, but when I heard that the AxeFXII only had modeling of the triode I thought "Hmm... that could explain it. There's a big difference between triodes overdriven and pentodes overdriven...."

Back
Top Bottom