Has anyone thought of any useful ways to implement a Rasberry Pi?

A Raspberry Pi arrived here about a week ago. Here is my RPi setup, so far it works great. It has HDMI and supports up to 1920x1200 resolution. I just installed the midisport-firmware package and it looks like my Midisport 2x2 is recognized. I am unfamiliar with Linux audio/midi, so I am not sure what apps I should install to be able to monitor/merge/route MIDI data.
pi_setup.jpg

Just tried the HDMI sound output, and it is not working, just sounds like digital noise when a WAV file is playing. The board has analog audio out, perhaps that works better. Or it could be user error, I forgot most of what I used to know about Linux.

I am impressed with the RPi so far, and have had no trouble installing large packages in Raspbian Wheezy using apt-get.

The program that has me most excited is Pure Data. This app provides a graphical programming environment similar to Max/MSP, which can be used to generate or process MIDI messages (and audio). Puredata is working with my MidiSport 2x2 interface connected to the RPi. I checked it with note-on, CC, and SYSEX messages, and these all work.

I'm thinking a RPi could be used for all sorts of MIDI processing using Puredata. Some ideas:
MIDI footcontroller 'brain'
MIDI event processor
MIDI patchbay/merger/router/filter

Once the Puredata patch is working it can be set to load on startup, then the RPi can be run headless (no monitor, keyboard, or mouse).

Nice Scrut! I'm very intrigued with the RPi & wouldn't mind getting one to tinker with.

Posting this from my RPi.......

I am seeing lots of problems with the Pi's USB. I was trying to use a 7-port hub (Dlink DUBH7) for power and as a hub, but there is a USB bug which limits the number of devices that can be attached. The DUBH7 appears as two 4 port hubs, daisy chained, so it takes two of the available slots.

A Axe-Edit on Linux-Base would be fine... But I don't think so, that there will be a Linux-Version....

I'm very interested in this. The way I'd like to incorporate the RPi would be as a kind of "in between box" between iPad and Axe FX II so the Axe thinks it's plugged into a PC and Axe Edit is running (somehow) on the iPad.

I haven't messed with Raspberry Pi, but I'm thinking about building a simple little Arduino module that would read the Midi Thru of the MFC so when I work my Wah pedal, the arduino would move a VU meter. Just for coolness.

Back
Top Bottom