Has anyone put locking tuning pegs on their guitar?

A
Traditionally, I just grab the string in the middle and give it a good Tug and a Wiggle™ (a wink's as good as a nudge say no more say no more). Then I tune the string back up and repeat until I can do that without changing the string's pitch.
It's served me pretty well for a couple decades now. I recently nabbed the Stewmac String Stretcha (that little plastic thing), and it's pretty good, but the jury's still out on whether or not it's better.
A partially stretched string is a nightmare on a floating trem.

Last edited:
I put Ratio staggered locking tuners on my MIM Charvel DK-24...

They are a direct drop in replacement for the stock (2-pin) tuners.
Both of my Charvels, a DK24 and a So cal, came with Charvel locking tuners that are staggered.

For some odd reason, they installed the shortest tuners closest to the nut on the G-E strings on the So cal. The reverse headstock must have confused their tiny brains....

charvel staggered tuners.jpg

Last edited:
Both of my Charvels, a DK24 and a So cal, came with Charvel locking tuners that are staggered.

For some odd reason, they installed the shortest tuners closest to the nut on the G-E strings on the So cal. The reverse headstock must have confused their tiny brains....

View attachment 111206
I'm assuming those are USA versions, or at least not MIM?

My USA model DK-24 came with Sperzel staggered tuners.

In your tip picture I also see only a single string tree, which is not how my MIM came... It had 2, USA has 1.

I'm assuming those are USA versions, or at least not MIM?

My USA model DK-24 came with Sperzel staggered tuners.

In your tip picture I also see only a single string tree, which is not how my MIM came... It had 2, USA has 1.
Actually, they are both MIM versions. I bought them both new, DK24 from Sweetwater and the So cal from my local guitar shop.
The DK24 has a single tree and the So cal has two.

To be totally honest, the neck on the DK24 is from another blue DK24 I bought new at SW. I liked the neck on the blue one better but my burgundy
DK24(top one in the pic) had the best tone, so I swapped necks and sold the blue one. Didn't notice the staggered tuners until a month later.

I use locking tuners just because it's easy to change guitar strings. If you know how to string a guitar properly and make sure that everything else is working as it should, tuning stability should not be an issue. I never had issues before using locking tuners, I had just gotten really lazy restringing 12 guitars and a bass.

Actually, they are both MIM versions. I bought them both new, DK24 from Sweetwater and the So cal from my local guitar shop.
The DK24 has a single tree and the So cal has two.

To be totally honest, the neck on the DK24 is from another blue DK24 I bought new at SW. I liked the neck on the blue one better but my burgundy
DK24(top one in the pic) had the best tone, so I swapped necks and sold the blue one. Didn't notice the staggered tuners until a month later.
Interesting... Maybe a change over the years. I've had my MIM for 4+ years.

Now they have staggered tuners they should stop fitting the string tree altogether . But that would require them to cut a nut better.
Can't complain though these are spectacular value guitars.

Late to this party but I did a set of Gotoh's on the Gretsch I just bought a few weeks back! Well worth the $89 just for the quick string changing alone. On the topic, another thing that some people tend overlook are loose tuning keys! Sometimes a 1/4 turn of the philips screw does wonders.

View attachment 111206
On my new schecter I thought it looked like the low E was shorter than the high E so I to them off but it was just illusion

Back
Top Bottom