Has anyone done Tone Matching with a real amp yet?

I've done the 4 channels on my Hughes and Kettner Coreblade, sounds pretty good. Gonna do them again with a bunch of other amps next weekend using a synth block and see how it compares.

I think Cliff said early in the process of rumors and development, that you'd need to use a mic (provide your own) and a mic pre. Has anyone done it this way, as opposed to recording it in your DAW and transferring it into FXII with USB? Is this still a way to do it?

Please guys: Do use testtones like sine sweeps you can get from the synth block for much more accurate matchings than you`ll get by shreddin guitar.... More Infos on this thread including Cliffs manual for activating a working testtone with the synth block here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...r-nearly-perfect-amp-matching.html#post662468

I am shure we can bring the matchings come damn close to the real deal if we work on a standardized matching process. This will allow the community sharing "AMP Match Presets" with [AMP+TMA] Blocks only in the grid.

DO NOT use Guitar shredding for REAL AMP matchings. Use accurate Testtone signals like a SINE SWEEP, which can be created out of the synth Block. This will achieve much better and consistent results.

Cliffs Tip: "The third voice of the synth was added for this reason. Connect an LFO to the Freq parameter and use it to sweep the DUT and the amp block at the same time. Pink noise also works very well."

I`ve matched my Koch studiotone Amp this way with my Axe Standard + Ozone EQ match and processed a CAB IR from the match result. Exactly this technique and the same process has Cliff now put into the Axe II with the TMA Block! This is AWESOME! Because i am sure we can match our real amps and share it in a "dead on" quality. Here my Koch Studiotone and the matching results:

Koch Studiotone Tube Amp

Axe FX Standard

Dead on? No? ( whole thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...axe-standard-ultra-comparison.html#post627993 )

So, my recommendation in general:

TONE MATCHING: Use similar guitar playin like on the audio file you want to match the sound =
(real) AMP MATCHING: Generate testtone from synth block like sine sweep automated through LFO (to frequency)

.... and share your results as [AMP+TMA] presets named wih the description of Amp / Cab / Mic you use for matching!

What do you think, community??????

Last edited:
This is what i got with a test tone :
TM5153.wav

The "room" sound is too big.
I'm not sure test tone is the right solution to match a sample or there is a weird phenomenon.

This is what i got with a test tone :
TM5153.wav

The "room" sound is too big.
I'm not sure test tone is the right solution to match a sample or there is a weird phenomenon.

Can you upload a A/B Test? A = real Amp B = Tonematch with a predefined Amp Block and similiar gaining. Eliminate to much room with your blanket ;)

Actually i search for a good Video recording tool to do a Tutorial for you guys ...

Can you upload a A/B Test? A = real Amp B = Tonematch with a predefined Amp Block and similiar gaining. Eliminate to much room with your blanket ;)

Actually i search for a good Video recording tool to do a Tutorial for you guys ...
I think i found the bug for the blanket. IMO it was a routing issue.
I've been able to match amps correctly. (check the XTC module i've done here...or with my Ultra)

Now i've got issue with samples.
This one is a sample not an amp matching, check here :
Tone Match this - The Gear Page

Today i was able to do something without the "room" but test tones gives me something muffled.
I'm not sure that using a test tone is correct with a sample because the frequency excursion is bigger and perhaps leads to issues.
I need more experimentation with this bloc.

see my other post I tried with my deluxe reverb, the results were so so usable but not mind blowing.
I will experiment more this weekend, one question is when playing the reference does increasing the
"time setting" increase the quality?

I am not sure the sine sweep test tone is the greatest either. The integration time of the sample would need to be larger than overall sweep duration, otherwise you lose portions of the frequency spectrum. Much better is pink noise which is all parts of the frequency spectrum at equal power.

Ultimately, regardless of what you use as the excitation, your ears are the final judge on whether or not you have a good match. Certainly, you want to have all parts of the input spectrum represented when doing matches, but some parts of the spectrum are better than others.;)

Last edited:
see my other post I tried with my deluxe reverb, the results were so so usable but not mind blowing.
I will experiment more this weekend, one question is when playing the reference does increasing the
"time setting" increase the quality?
With V6 the cleans are much better than before.
I tested today the deluxe module of my RM50. It sounds not fantastic but with NOS tubes it's ok.
The model of the Axe 2 sounds better with poweramp ON than the same one tonematched. So tonematch does not help here.
With PA-OFF it helps and sound better with the tonematch applied.

"Drama" - care to make a video? or a step-by-step instructional post? :)

I'm planning to do exactly that. I was thinking to show a few different ways ie. Playing a riff and matching, pink noise, sweep etc. I mean they're pretty similar in execution but it might be useful to show em all.

Will film everything I do this weekend.

YES, I DO!

Has anyone done Tone Matching with a real amp yet?

YES, I DO!

Watch out the comparison between the real Deal and a AMP match with Sine Sweep with just a Axe Standard an Ozone EQ Match. How better will that be with the Axe II ?

thread is in german, but there are many embedded Soundcloud A/B comparisons you should understand and give you an idea, what a AMP match with Sine Sweep can do for you!

Fractal Audio Axe-FX II Userthread - Seite 96

For the Axe GEN1 Users: Preset and Matched CAB IR is there waiting for download. Give it a try!

Take a look to the photo of this beautiful looking and sounding tonemonster i put just into my Axe Standard right now ;)

Attachments

• tonematch HOSS PLEXI.jpg
    tonematch HOSS PLEXI.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom