Has anyone comparerd the Xitone wedges to CLRs?

Hey,

I just read through four pages of this post because I was interested in the Xitone cabinets vs. CLRs, etc. Thanks for making this thread completely useless with regards to the OP.

Reactions: Ole
Hey,

I just read through four pages of this post because I was interested in the Xitone cabinets vs. CLRs, etc. Thanks for making this thread completely useless with regards to the OP.

I'll try to help get it back on track but I have a Xitone Cab powered by a Matrix GM50. At the time I ordered mine, Mic said that they did not sound that much different; although he has tweaked the design of the wedge a lot since then. This is all IMO so take it for what its worth. The Xitone is a bit of a different animal than the CLR. It is a lot closer to a traditional guitar cab than a FRFR monitor. I have the Eminence Beta LTA in my cab. IMO, the LTA is a great sounding speaker and really compliments the Matrix power amp. I believe it is a coaxial speaker with what is called a whizzer cone so it is not like a traditional coax with a separate HF driver and crossover like the 12CX. The LTA is pretty much FR but the high end trails off after about 8K (which is beyond the range of the guitar). This is why I think it makes the Xitone more of a hybrid cab versus FRFR monitor. I've owned and tried a number of powered monitors and had an Atomic powered cab before the Xitone. I always have thought the high end was a bit harsh/shrill sounding with the FRFR monitors/Atomic powered cab. That is not the case with the LTA, it has a smooth high end that is very musical. Mic and I traded numerous emails about speakers and he really steered me towards the LTA and it worked for me. He even offered to install the 12CX right before he shipped my cab and I still went with the LTA based on his recommendation.

IMO, the Xitone and the CLR sound similar, however feel a little different. The CLR is a pretty amazing speaker but it is more like listening to your modeler through reference monitors/head phones (i.e., a great sounding mic'd guitar cab/studio recording). Whereas the Xitone is closer to a poweramp/cab combo (i.e., more amp in the room to my ears). With the Atomic, I pretty much keep my EQ flat and dial down the treble a little. With the Xitone I boost the mids and high end some and cut the bass a little. Side by Side the CLR still has a little bit of the high end harshness but has a bit tighter low end than the Xitone. The Xitone is much more directional than the CLR, once you get off center the Xitone starts losing high end and gets a little mushy. This is where the CLR really shines, I can move around a lot more on stage without the tone of the CLR changing. I was trying to sell my Xitone but I've decided to hold on to it for a little while. Right now I'm running a HD500 through the Xitone for practice. They are both great speakers. Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. I am trying to compare because there are many considerations unique (somewhat) to my situation. Obviously the Xitones are much less expensive. I prefer the smaller size and lighter weight due to back issues and space limitations. The added expense of the CLRs isn't a consideration for me. I fear I will likely need to endure the additional transport weight to get the FRFR system I desire. It's great to have the choices. Just difficult to make them.

Hey,

**EDIT** Posted this hoping to help the thread back on track - but in writing it missed ipressthebutton's excellent post, which did that. +like

I've been trying to work out the differences in another thread, and have noticed (!!) some sensitivities with some people regarding (it seems) CLRs. Take a look, but the CLR is being portrayed as a different sort of thing to the Xitone which is a 12" and 1", 2-way ported cab. From the CLR manual, you discover it's also 2-way, but horn-loaded with DSP, and the active has three modes according to its orientation.

There's disagreement over whether the clever mounting of the LF CD ought to require delay to ensure a smooth blend; but users swear by it, and the manufacturer says it's good for bass guitar and keys as well. There are also trade secrets in the design.

Too good to be entirely true??? I hope to find out when I'm invited to buy one. But to be frank, one very experienced and sensible gigging member Yek, advocates and uses the CLR, which is a big personal recommendation for me.

Last edited:
I'll try to help get it back on track but I have a Xitone Cab powered by a Matrix GM50. At the time I ordered mine, Mic said that they did not sound that much different; although he has tweaked the design of the wedge a lot since then. This is all IMO so take it for what its worth. The Xitone is a bit of a different animal than the CLR. It is a lot closer to a traditional guitar cab than a FRFR monitor. I have the Eminence Beta LTA in my cab. IMO, the LTA is a great sounding speaker and really compliments the Matrix power amp. I believe it is a coaxial speaker with what is called a whizzer cone so it is not like a traditional coax with a separate HF driver and crossover like the 12CX. The LTA is pretty much FR but the high end trails off after about 8K (which is beyond the range of the guitar). This is why I think it makes the Xitone more of a hybrid cab versus FRFR monitor. I've owned and tried a number of powered monitors and had an Atomic powered cab before the Xitone. I always have thought the high end was a bit harsh/shrill sounding with the FRFR monitors/Atomic powered cab. That is not the case with the LTA, it has a smooth high end that is very musical. Mic and I traded numerous emails about speakers and he really steered me towards the LTA and it worked for me. He even offered to install the 12CX right before he shipped my cab and I still went with the LTA based on his recommendation.

IMO, the Xitone and the CLR sound similar, however feel a little different. The CLR is a pretty amazing speaker but it is more like listening to your modeler through reference monitors/head phones (i.e., a great sounding mic'd guitar cab/studio recording). Whereas the Xitone is closer to a poweramp/cab combo (i.e., more amp in the room to my ears). With the Atomic, I pretty much keep my EQ flat and dial down the treble a little. With the Xitone I boost the mids and high end some and cut the bass a little. Side by Side the CLR still has a little bit of the high end harshness but has a bit tighter low end than the Xitone. The Xitone is much more directional than the CLR, once you get off center the Xitone starts losing high end and gets a little mushy. This is where the CLR really shines, I can move around a lot more on stage without the tone of the CLR changing. I was trying to sell my Xitone but I've decided to hold on to it for a little while. Right now I'm running a HD500 through the Xitone for practice. They are both great speakers. Hope this helps.

Cool... thanks for this ! That is the feeling that I was getting... that the Xitone sounded more like a real amp in the room, and the CLR sounded like a Polished recording studio sound... and the guys who really wanted the live amps sound / feel were digging the Xitone, while people who liked the sound of a well recorded/ polished guitar sound like the CLR's...

To each his or her own... pick the best for what kind of sound YOU want...

I have the CLR...just not knocked out like it seems everyone else is...
Have talked to Mick @ Xitone...here's what I know...he has bended over backward to get me one of his cabs to try next to the CLR. Dont have it yet but will soon and will let all know my humble opinion.... Customer service? Sorry...so far NO One beats Mick...NO ONE!....I'll elaborate later on this....

I have the CLR...just not knocked out like it seems everyone else is...
Have talked to Mick @ Xitone...here's what I know...he has bended over backward to get me one of his cabs to try next to the CLR. Dont have it yet but will soon and will let all know my humble opinion.... Customer service? Sorry...so far NO One beats Mick...NO ONE!....I'll elaborate later on this....
I have had a very similar experience with Mick so far. Hopefully sometime over the next week or two, I will have a CLR, and RCF 12NXa, and a
pair of the latest Xitones in front or me with the Matrix GT1000FX and a VHT 2/50/2 for use as power with the Xitones.
We is gonna to do a little Boston Cab shoot out :)

I have had a very similar experience with Mick so far. Hopefully sometime over the next week or two, I will have a CLR, and RCF 12NXa, and a
pair of the latest Xitones in front or me with the Matrix GT1000FX and a VHT 2/50/2 for use as power with the Xitones.

I should have a CLR in my possession to bring to that party.
Very excited to compare to xitone. I agree mick bends over backwards, working on refining his offerings.
So many killer options now a days.

You guys should sell tickets!!

BTW, I was comparing the Xitone wedge to my headphones today, and dagnabbit, I just couldn't tell any difference. Crude test, but with my old setup I definitely heard a difference comparing what comes out of the cab to the headphone sound. Really happy with the Xitone and another wedge is on the way...

Last edited:
The FW10 improved "amp-in-the-room" cab sim options led me to look afresh at FRFR, as I prefer that sound on stage, but can see the point of hearing what the audience is hearing. I therefore really do relate to what you guys are saying about the Xitones.

Maybe the best of all worlds is the Axe's FOH signal being so PA\engineer friendly, whilst still retaining the more live sound from the backline.

Trouble is, the classic guitar sounds we all love stem from severe abuse of analogue equipment - with all the problems and limitation that results in for prolonged use (what's that you say?).

You guys should sell tickets!!

BTW, I was comparing the Xitone wedge to my headphones today, and dagnabbit, I just couldn't tell any difference. Crude test, but with my old setup I definitely heard a difference comparing what comes out of the cab to the headphone sound. Really happy with the Xitone and another wedge is on the way...

Hey randolfo! What kind of headphones?

I have the same experience as you.. no discernible difference between my Grado's and my cabs....

Thanks,

Mick

Trouble is, the classic guitar sounds we all love stem from severe abuse of analogue equipment - with all the problems and limitation that results in for prolonged use (what's that you say?).
LOOOL. Yearh. Bad solder connections, worn-out tubes, leaking cap's, fried speaker-coils, too much beer and tinnitus!

@ kmanick

Please let us know when you think you're going to be able to post the results of your own "shoot-out".
still waiting for my name to be called on the CLR list.
My VHt pwoer amp will be here tomorrow.
Mick has stated that he will get me some Xitone product to A/B ASAP.
BNN (Jay) is local to me and still has an RCf and a CLR so I'm hoping he willb e available to add any missing components to test that I have not yet received.
I've got a quad of KT=77's on their wasy as well as I feel these tubes are a cross between EL-34's and 6L6' so they may be a better poser tube to use with the VHT thatn a straight EL-34.
I've used KT-77's in a Recto and a JSX and they really are like the best of both combined into one.

I just received my CLR. Ive been using a RCF, which is quite good as well, the CLR just seems to be clearer and tends to be a bit less harsh. My presets are tuned to cut through live gig situations (so in isolation they tend to have a bit of upper mid and not be very bass heavy) and it feels like the CLR's are simply better at handling that. The RCF's are close though. The CLR do match my audio monitors (dynaudio bm15a's) which are VERY accurate. I find that match to be quite a good thing, proving to me that the CLR's are accurate. Thats very important to me. Again what you may want for a live situation may differ from a recording situation AND I do not use them as a backline type of speaker. Even when I was using tube amps, I had to use a monitor in front of me to clearly hear solos during louder parts of tunes. I would kill any of the audience (and the singer) in front of me if I played at enough volume to fill most rooms. We are a loud band and I live in Les Paul into a cranked Marshall type of tone.

Again, I have no idea how they sound as a backline speaker (for that guitar in the room thing) as thats not what I do. I also have not heard the Xitones, but i can honestly vouch that the CLR's are accurate when they're pointing at your face.

I will be using the CLR in a gig situation for the first time on Friday, so perhaps my thoughts will change. I tend to doubt it though.

still waiting for my name to be called on the CLR list.
My VHt pwoer amp will be here tomorrow.
Mick has stated that he will get me some Xitone product to A/B ASAP.
BNN (Jay) is local to me and still has an RCf and a CLR so I'm hoping he willb e available to add any missing components to test that I have not yet received.
I've got a quad of KT=77's on their wasy as well as I feel these tubes are a cross between EL-34's and 6L6' so they may be a better poser tube to use with the VHT thatn a straight EL-34.
I've used KT-77's in a Recto and a JSX and they really are like the best of both combined into one.

Confirmed....I will have a CLR in my posession as of tonight. And I have an RCF already in my arsenal.
And I know Mick is always good at getting products to customers, so I imagine you'll have those soon.
Let's line these boxes up and go at it!
I can bring a High Dev Vid cam and a small Tascam HD recorder. I figure we don't need to get much more scientific than that?

Confirmed....I will have a CLR in my posession as of tonight. And I have an RCF already in my arsenal.
And I know Mick is always good at getting products to customers, so I imagine you'll have those soon.
I can bring a High Dev Vid cam and a small Tascam HD recorder. I figure we don't need to get much more scientific than that?

that would be awesome Jay!
I'll get in touch with you and Pete offline as soon as I start getting the "goods" :) :) :)

I was wondering if someone was thinking about doing this. Thanks much.

FWIW, I was thinking that a good approach would be to use the looper to play back the exact same phrase each time so there is no variable in the source material. Also, I think it would be interesting to record at say 6 feet away and perpendicular to the speaker grill, and then again at around 40 degrees or so off axis. One of the things about the CLR that intrigues me are the claims that it sounds the basically the same off axis or on.

Really appreciate your efforts (in advance).

I was wondes someone was thinking about doing this. Thanks much.

FWIW, I was thinking that a good approach would be to use the looper to play back the exact same phrase each time so there is no variable in the source material. Also, I think it would be interesting to record at say 6 feet away and perpendicular to the speaker grill, and then again at around 40 degrees or so off axis. One of the things about the CLR that intrigues me are the claims that it sounds the basically the same off axis or on.

Really appreciate your efforts (in advance).

It would be very great with such a comparison.

And make sure that you put the different speakers in the exact same spot in the room.

Back
Top Bottom