Has anyone comparerd the Xitone wedges to CLRs?

I bet the Xitone and Atomic wedges have a lot in common and sound similar. I might be going out on a limb here but from my own limited experience and with what some users have stated, seems like the Xitone sounds even better with a tad of depth added and the Atomic sounds better with a tad of depth removed. I'd really love to have a CLR handy to play side by side with my Xitone wedge. Just seems like there would be a lot of similarities.

From a customer service prospective I think it is clear that XiTone will provide a better experience. How many times have we seen rants about Tom not responding to emails?

I would respectfully disagree with this... I had a problem getting on the list, and Tom responded within a day, to help fix the problem and was very courteous... even responded to a few questions that he took the time to reply...

I would respectfully disagree with this... I had a problem getting on the list, and Tom responded within a day, to help fix the problem and was very courteous... even responded to a few questions that he took the time to reply...

Same here...he's even taken the time to speak with me on the phone more than once and I didn't get on the list til April 19th...I don't get it...

+1 on Tom's responsiveness and customer service!!! From my own experience with the Atomic Reactors, which are also great cabs, Tom took the time to answer questions over the phone, and get a small problem resolved.

this is the biggest crock of shit statement that constantly used to describe gear on music forums. Could be for anything -- guitar, pedal, amp, cab -- you name it .. it is all bullshit.

Everything between your fingers and your ears affects your tone.

Strings
Cables
Cabinet choice
cab wood
speakers
picks
etc
etc
etc

Even the weather affects your tone!
Let me first say I take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Second I don't own nor have a played a CLR yet but I have heard many ppl say similar comments to the above. I agree everything affects tone but that does not discredit the fact that the Scot's statement may be accurate. I have been using the Axe since the ultra. I started with a k12 for tweaking and played regularly at a mega church in front of 3000+ every week, playing rock to pop to RnB. Their sound system was all Meyers, even my wedge there was Meyers and the patches I made translated well to FOH. When I left there they wanted to buy my ultra. Eventually I moved on to the RCF which kills the k12 and my patches sound very close in FOH to what I make on the RCF so I can swollew Scot's statement. I get that you came from a vintage amp world and you dig the matrix best. From what I keep hearing the matrix is the most amp like. I never cared about that. I wanted to sound good to my self and the crowed. I successfully did that with both the k and the RCF. I have only ever gotten compliments on my tone. I am 100% sure I would do just fine with the Matrix or xitone or CLR. I am in a different place than everyone else though I barely struggled with FRFR and in a very short time had working times with the very boomy and crazy highs k12

Same here...he's even taken the time to speak with me on the phone more than once and I didn't get on the list til April 19th...I don't get it...

I think there are periods where Tom is on a trip or busy handling things (no fault of his own) and is unable to return an email, etc. I was unable to reach Tom for about a week but definitely understand why. He is running a business and things are especially crazy as orders from around the world are coming in for his gear. Matt from Matrix and I played phone tag a few times and completely missed each other day after day. :) These guys are all really busy and we are fortunate that they can keep us in the loop on things. I'm good friends with Robert Keeley (the pedal maker) and went to high school together. I remember back in the old days I could just send him an email and would hear back from him. These days I'd have to probably go to NAMM to see him. :)

Hopefully everyone understands that these guys are doing their best to get back with folks when they can. We definitely appreciate them!

Let me first say I take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Second I don't own nor have a played a CLR yet but I have heard many ppl say similar comments to the above. I agree everything affects tone but that does not discredit the fact that the Scot's statement may be accurate. I have been using the Axe since the ultra. I started with a k12 for tweaking and played regularly at a mega church in front of 3000+ every week, playing rock to pop to RnB. Their sound system was all Meyers, even my wedge there was Meyers and the patches I made translated well to FOH. When I left there they wanted to buy my ultra. Eventually I moved on to the RCF which kills the k12 and my patches sound very close in FOH to what I make on the RCF so I can swollew Scot's statement. I get that you came from a vintage amp world and you dig the matrix best. From what I keep hearing the matrix is the most amp like. I never cared about that. I wanted to sound good to my self and the crowed. I successfully did that with both the k and the RCF. I have only ever gotten compliments on my tone. I am 100% sure I would do just fine with the Matrix or xitone or CLR. I am in a different place than everyone else though I barely struggled with FRFR and in a very short time had working times with the very boomy and crazy highs k12

Some of the fairy tales being pedaled on music forums these days put even the imagination of the Brothers Grimm to shame.

So a grain of salt might not be enough ... LOL

End of the day .. whatever works for you and makes you happy is what counts .

I think there are periods where Tom is on a trip or busy handling things (no fault of his own) and is unable to return an email, etc. I was unable to reach Tom for about a week but definitely understand why. He is running a business and things are especially crazy as orders from around the world are coming in for his gear. Matt from Matrix and I played phone tag a few times and completely missed each other day after day. :) These guys are all really busy and we are fortunate that they can keep us in the loop on things. I'm good friends with Robert Keeley (the pedal maker) and went to high school together. I remember back in the old days I could just send him an email and would hear back from him. These days I'd have to probably go to NAMM to see him. :)

Hopefully everyone understands that these guys are doing their best to get back with folks when they can. We definitely appreciate them!

One person claimed he contacted Tom several times over 18 months to a get repair part and only connected after venting here. If I ever need a repair part for my CLRs, I promise I won't be nearly as patient.

From a customer service prospective I think it is clear that XiTone will provide a better experience. How many times have we seen rants about Tom not responding to emails?

One person claimed he contacted Tom several times over 18 months to a get repair part and only connected after venting here. If I ever need a repair part for my CLRs, I promise I won't be nearly as patient.

Surely you didn't make the first post based on one persons claim on a internet forum? At least I hope not as that would be quite a huge generalization.

All I can relay is what I have experienced in person and Tom has ALWAYS been attentive to any of my needs. I have emailed him with questions on several occasions and received calls within days where he has taken quite a long time to discuss my questions.

I think we are all getting a bit spoiled by the likes of FAS, Atomic, Matrix, G66 etc. to be honest. All have been absolutely a pleasure to work with for me and their customer service has been stellar. I still have trouble tickets and emails sent over 2 years ago to Line 6 that have gone unanswered. :)

Sorry Craig, but I gotta agree with luke on this one. (I don't agree with luke on a lot of things. Sorry luke, no offense intended... just da troof. :D)

I can say for sure that luke's first statement is not based on one person's claim on an Internet forum. I've seem multiple times on this forum, by multiple people making claims of no communication from Atomic after multiple attempts, then Tom will pop in and make it good. Sorry, and I don't mean to offend Tom, but that's simply not good customer service. If there are issues with people getting emails thru to Atomic, then it needs to be fixed. Not once that I can recall has anyone ever claimed that Mick with XiTone was not responding to emails. Not once. So, I completely agree with luke's first statement.

With regard to your statement about us "getting spoiled by the likes of FAS, Atomic, Matrix, G66 , etc."... IMO, that's bullshit. Good customer service is good customer service. Period. We really shouldn't settle for anything less.

Reactions: Ole
Sorry Craig, but I gotta agree with luke on this one. (I don't agree with luke on a lot of things. Sorry luke, no offense intended... just da troof. :D)

I can say for sure that luke's first statement is not based on one person's claim on an Internet forum. I've seem multiple times on this forum, by multiple people making claims of no communication from Atomic after multiple attempts, then Tom will pop in and make it good. Sorry, and I don't mean to offend Tom, but that's simply not good customer service. If there are issues with people getting emails thru to Atomic, then it needs to be fixed. Not once that I can recall has anyone ever claimed that Mick with XiTone was not responding to emails. Not once. So, I completely agree with luke's first statement.

With regard to your statement about us "getting spoiled by the likes of FAS, Atomic, Matrix, G66 , etc."... IMO, that's bullshit. Good customer service is good customer service. Period. We really shouldn't settle for anything less.

Well, my personal experience differs so I will have to respectfully disagree. And you are correct in that we shouldn't settle for anything less. I often have had to just that with many companies over the years and it seems the larger they are the worse it gets. That was the crux of my "were spoiled" comment in that we often have direct access to the companies CEO's etc. with the smaller companies I mentioned. I have personally talked with all of them on the phone. That's just not going to happen with Line 6, Roland, Yamaha etc.

Again, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them all so I have to take that to heart over a few comments that indicate otherwise from forum posts. We are after all talking about a handful of complaints out of what? Tens of thousands of orders? We will just have to agree to disagree here. :encouragement:

Not everything is for everybody.
Ford, Chevy, Acura(my choice)... they'll all get you there.... Opinions are like... Well, whatever YOU are comfortable and confident with.

Oh, and Happy 4th USA!

Tom King was quick and courteous in responding to my email. Thanks to all our service members and their families today. Happy 4th everyone!

Could some Moderator (that also acts like one) stop this catfight, in what used to be an interesting thread.....

Edit: Thank you

Last edited:
Forums are a double-edged sword. They're super helpful and beneficial on one front, and on the other front they create this perception of fact that only the beholding is truly in possession of. Since opinion is the most broadcast element in a forum, armchair addicts get to fabricate their reality well in advance of any gear acquisition. And in the words of William Burroughs, nothing ever lives up to the hype. I've seen this time and time again on other forums - the "special product" released, a few get it, they talk about it, everyone else froths over it - and finally when it gets into the hands of the masses, the masses once again realize that no piece of gear alone is going to elevate their musical prowess as it has - perceptibly - to the other people who'd acquired the same piece of equipment.

It's all personal. It's all individual and independent. And it's all preferential. I for one claim the CLR to be badass. That's not a dickwaving statement to any other people owning different FRFR monitors. My opinion means nothing as it's only my opinion. I'm happy. If people are out there not happy with the CLR, change in. But I think most of this upset is because of the 6 months of anticipation. Nothing can live up to 6 months of waiting - things get way too internally psychologically distorted after a period of time like this.

Reactions: LVC
I've being doing sound and playing my guitar since the early 70's and I have tried more than my fair share of guitar speaker cabs/floor monitors/PA's and the only thing I can say is that they ALL sound different no matter who designs them. NO PERFECT SPEAKER OUT THERE. Trust your ears not what you read. Get what sound great to you not others.

..... by the way, one of the folks that also does not believe that speakers require breaking in is Jay Mitchell who designed the CLR. Whose opinion should I believe, a musician (no offense, I'm a musician too) or someone who is a degreed engineer & has years & years of experience & expertise in the filed of speaker design?

It is your prerogative to believe him and I respect that.

However I don't.

My 40 plus years of playing music and buying amps and speakers tells me different.

I am friends (and client) of some of the top amp builders and designers in the world and they laughed when I told them that someone was promoting the notion that speakers do not need breaking in.

Even speaker manufacturers recommend a break-in period.

To each his own.

Last edited:
And during your 40+ years of experience as a musician, you probably did a lot of controlled testing that ruled out the plethora of alternative explanations and resulting misattributions of causes and effects, right?

Originally Posted by notalemming

..... by the way, one of the folks that also does not believe that speakers require breaking in is Jay Mitchell who designed the CLR. Whose opinion should I believe, a musician (no offense, I'm a musician too) or someone who is a degreed engineer & has years & years of experience & expertise in the filed of speaker design?

Speaker Break-in | Eminence Speaker

Of course Jay Mitchell is never wrong so somebody should write to Eminence about this. You'd think that being the world's largest speaker manufacturer and in business since 1966 they would know something about speakers but apparently they don't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom