Harsh Overtones in Moderate to High Gain Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also struggled with some dissonant harmonics especially with simple amp presets. For example, here's a brief example of just playing a single note on the neck PUP of my stock Strat through factory preset 'Plexi 50W', scene 5 (6550 Dry). There's a kind of harmonic just after the note, almost as if there's some kind of additional component ringing different from the fundamental. Maybe someone can classify what I'm hearing and a direction to take if trying to smooth it out?

I hear the same with my LP Custom, and to some extent on any PUP with both the Strat and LP. (I've really gone over the Strat to check for and dampen anything that might be ringing, like springs, backplate, etc., so I don't think it's a mechanical thing.) It's less pronouced with very soft picking, but not so much to suggest it's a picking issue.

If I throw in a T808 and other effects, it's less audible, but I'm really wondering if I can get a smoother tone with just simple amp setups, or I'm chasing something that's just not going to happen.

I've also struggled with some dissonant harmonics especially with simple amp presets. For example, here's a brief example of just playing a single note on the neck PUP of my stock Strat through factory preset 'Plexi 50W', scene 5 (6550 Dry). There's a kind of harmonic just after the note, almost as if there's some kind of additional component ringing different from the fundamental. Maybe someone can classify what I'm hearing and a direction to take if trying to smooth it out?

I hear the same with my LP Custom, and to some extent on any PUP with both the Strat and LP. (I've really gone over the Strat to check for and dampen anything that might be ringing, like springs, backplate, etc., so I don't think it's a mechanical thing.) It's less pronouced with very soft picking, but not so much to suggest it's a picking issue.

If I throw in a T808 and other effects, it's less audible, but I'm really wondering if I can get a smoother tone with just simple amp setups, or I'm chasing something that's just not going to happen.

That's a ghost note. Real amps do that. Do a search on the forum. Set Power Supply to DC to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom