Harmonizing leads with the FM9

When harmony is being discussed can I mention and add a video by the excellent Gurtej Singh.
Gurtej has done some fab axe fx tuition videos where he explains things beautifully and demonstrates his wonderful tones with passion and love. :) (And he shows that the axe fx2 is still awesome!).

Best I've got for you...

So, in prepping for this summers shows, we have one song where I am thinking about harmony. I already have a couple songs that pitch change and I have the pitch block as the first block after the input block. I tried the trick he uses moving it between the amp and cab and its sounds like poo. But when working a diatonic 3rd, its sounds great between the amp and cab and sounds terrible just after the input block. I am too old and too many drugs in the 80s to know why it needs to be first when changing pitch a half step but between the amp and cab when playing harmonies, lol

I was just watching this video (link) earlier and found the harmony pitch block settings pretty cool.
I have never tried going up as high as the number 7 (perfect 5th?) but it sounds cool in Alex's video.

When you’re using the Pitch block as a virtual capo, you’re simulating a different pitch coming from your guitar. If you want to do that accurately, you put the Pitch block as close to your guitar as possible. That means it’s the first thing in the signal chain.

When you’re playing harmonies, you’re simulation two guitarists — each with their own rigs — playing together. If you want to do that accurately, you put the Pitch block after the Amp block so you get two complete tones in harmony with each other. You put it before the Cab block so you’re not also shifting the resonances of cabs, which would sound weird.

So, in prepping for this summers shows, we have one song where I am thinking about harmony. I already have a couple songs that pitch change and I have the pitch block as the first block after the input block. I tried the trick he uses moving it between the amp and cab and its sounds like poo. But when working a diatonic 3rd, its sounds great between the amp and cab and sounds terrible just after the input block. I am too old and too many drugs in the 80s to know why it needs to be first when changing pitch a half step but between the amp and cab when playing harmonies, lol

When you’re using the Pitch block as a virtual capo, you’re simulating a different pitch coming from your guitar. If you want to do that accurately, you put the Pitch block as close to your guitar as possible. That means it’s the first thing in the signal chain.

When you’re playing harmonies, you’re simulation two guitarists — each with their own rigs — playing together. If you want to do that accurately, you put the Pitch block after the Amp block so you get two complete tones in harmony with each other. You put it before the Cab block so you’re not also shifting the resonances of cabs, which would sound weird.
Thx, Rex...

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom