Hard panned or not?

GuttaLaser

Power User
Running the Axe direct to board (left in one mono channel and right in another mono channel) what is the best:
a) hard panning the two channels all the way left and right
b) just a bit panned left and right
c) centered

Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I use dual amps and run the L + R separately to the board as hard panned signals. This essentially gives FOH two amp signals that they can mix together as needed.
Sometimes I'll just use one amp, but a stereo cab, so FOH essentially has two mic'd cab signals that they can mix.

How is your patch setup?

If your presets are set up with stereo effects and the PA is mono then it would be best if you summed L+R at the Axe and sent the board a mono signal. If it's a stereo PA then as dbun suggested send a left and a right signal and let the sound person mix it up so it fits.

My scenario is that the PA is stereo. The Axe out is set L and R. The patches I use are in general stereo because the FXs (choruses, delays, reverbs) with 1 amp and 1 cab IR (sometimes 2 cabs IRs). I don't like the summed L+R coz I want the spatial fxs of - say - ping-pong delays or 2 delays (one short and one long) and I like the wide sound of stereo.
So in this scenario, what is best: hard panning the L and R, just a bit panned or centered?
TNX

Pan them hard. This isolates each sound and gives the sound guy full control to choose the panning that best serves the mix. If you pan them narrower, you limit his options.

Pan them hard. This isolates each sound and gives the sound guy full control to choose the panning that best serves the mix. If you pan them narrower, you limit his options.

my fear is that a too wide panning can result in a unfocused/washed sound expecially against other mono/centered instruments like bass or a 2nd backing guitar

my fear is that a too wide panning can result in a unfocused/washed sound expecially against other mono/centered instruments like bass or a 2nd backing guitar
"Too wide" in one mix could be "not wide enough" in another mix. If you pan hard, the guy at the desk can dial in the right pan for the mix, because he gets both tones in isolation. If you pan them narrow, he gets two channels that are each a blend of your two tones. His panning options are limited, and his job is made more complex.

Reactions: yek

That's a matter of preset design. Even with hard panning on the board, you can design your presets to maintain a centered signal along with the wide stereo effects field.

my personal take is....

pan hard, turn up

when you're pissing folk off, you've hit the spot

Back
Top Bottom