Handling 3 sets of outputs

jzucker

Experienced
I know fm3 doesn't support 3 different types of output and fortunately, I only use 2 types at a time.
For example, I might use FOH from out1 and powered cabs from out2.

However, I do occasionally use standard guitar cabs from out2 and when I do that, I do not want cabinet modeling. I have presets configured to bypass the cab and route to an out2 block.

But when I play through FRFR cabs, that out2 block can't be there or I will not get the cab modeling. Short of duplicating the presets - one with and one without cab modeling, what's the best way to handle this?

with only 2 outputs, it's difficult to have it always set for 3 types of outputs.

i think you'll have to duplicate presets, or delete the out 2 block or something and re-add each time you play.

with only 2 outputs, it's difficult to have it always set for 3 types of outputs.

i think you'll have to duplicate presets, or delete the out 2 block or something and re-add each time you play.
i think the best answer is some type of stereo splitter box where I can have out1 L/R routed to mains and FRFR, out2 then stays dedicated to non cab usage...

Although, I do like having my FRFR (out2) with a separate EQ block

It’s not the Output block that’s the problem; it’s the Cab block. How about bypassing the Cab block?
that would almost work except when going through the real speaker cab, I also have a filter block to bring down the bass. maybe i'm looking for an excuse to get the FM9?

that would almost work except when going through the real speaker cab, I also have a filter block to bring down the bass. maybe i'm looking for an excuse to get the FM9?
It would totally work. Just bypass the Cab block when you’re going through a real cab.

The headphone out is a copy of Output 1.

If I was in your position, I'd keep Output 2 as my permanent "traditional backline" send in all my presets, and simply use Output 1 and the Headphone Out when running FRFR. FOH might need to use a stereo DI for the Headphone Signal, but you could always just opt to roll with one as part of your kit.

Not sure if 'Stereo' is needed for your FRFR and/or guitar poweramp/cab. If not, you could use Out 2 Left for FRFR with Cab sims, and Right for the real cab without cab sims. And than use a dedicated EQ block for each (CPU permitting) for independent EQ and level adjustments, with the appropriate parameters attached to one of the Performance pages for easy access.

Do your FRFR's have a dedicated output pass-thru? A lot of FRFR speakers have this, QSC K Series, Fender FR Series, RCF NX Series, Redsound MF-10.

With my FM3, I go into a fender FR12 or RCF NX-12SMA and pass from there to FOH
Out 2 could go to a power amp and cabinet if needed.

You could go Out 1 to FRFRs -- Pass thru --> to FOH,
Out 2 to power amp and Cabinets without cab modeling, split off in the preset before the cabinet block.

If your signal to FOH and powered cabs is the same, configure the FM3 output mode to one of the mono options, put the cab block last in line going to output 1, and then create a branch before it going to output 2. Now you can run Output1 L/R (they are copies with the cab block) to the FOH/powered cabs and when needed output 2 to a power amp/traditional cab.

EDIT: Going a bit further...each output block is a mixer block with pan controls for each row, you you can technically run the output in stereo but using mono effects and configure this for 4 unique outputs with dedicated EQ blocks on 2 branches (in addition to the global output EQ). The below image has 4 distinct outputs. Output 1 Left, Output 1 Right which is a mirror of 1 but with an EQ block, Output 2 Left no cab with EQ, and Output 2 Right no cab.

1709400665016.png

Last edited:
If your signal to FOH and powered cabs is the same, configure the FM3 output mode to one of the mono options, put the cab block last in line going to output 1, and then create a branch before it going to output 2. Now you can run Output1 L/R (they are copies with the cab block) to the FOH/powered cabs and when needed output 2 to a power amp/traditional cab.

EDIT: Going a bit further...each output block is a mixer block with pan controls for each row, you you can technically run the output in stereo but using mono effects and configure this for 4 unique outputs with dedicated EQ blocks on 2 branches (in addition to the global output EQ). The below image has 4 distinct outputs. Output 1 Left, Output 1 Right which is a mirror of 1 but with an EQ block, Output 2 Left no cab with EQ, and Output 2 Right no cab.

View attachment 136212
but if I understand correctly, using either option I will lose the stereo effects which is a big part of my sound. I think maybe the best solution is to duplicate my presets

Do your FRFR's have a dedicated output pass-thru? A lot of FRFR speakers have this, QSC K Series, Fender FR Series, RCF NX Series, Redsound MF-10.

With my FM3, I go into a fender FR12 or RCF NX-12SMA and pass from there to FOH
Out 2 could go to a power amp and cabinet if needed.

You could go Out 1 to FRFRs -- Pass thru --> to FOH,
Out 2 to power amp and Cabinets without cab modeling, split off in the preset before the cabinet block.
It does have a "Mix Out" but it's going through the preamp which I'd prefer not to do if recording.

Back
Top Bottom