Wish Hand size Axe?

I don’t think a hand-sized Fractal unit is doable. The number of presets doesn’t affect the size of the box.

Would that then be a Hatchet FX? :p

a3760613-309d-4e12-b770-814e21dd4e0e

I don’t think a hand-sized Fractal unit is doable. The number of presets doesn’t affect the size of the box.
In ten years I might be possible. But it would have all the amps cabs and effects we have on the FM3,

Reactions: Rex
Right- all good points - so until then how about a great sounding hand unit with a few clean / dirty presets - a bit more than fender micro you can take to the motel

I'd love a HX Stomp sized Fractal unit

I really like the size of the Stomp, but Fractal sound so much better to me

Reactions: Rex
I'd love a HX Stomp sized Fractal unit

I really like the size of the Stomp, but Fractal sound so much better to me
And that's the crux of the problem. It takes a certain amount of hardware to pull off Fractal-quality modeling. With today's technology, you can't fit that into a hand-sized device.

If they can make a unit with 250 amp and 2000 speakers that most can’t tell they are not the real thing they can make a unit to beat out all others . . I am pretty sure the Fractal team doesn’t use the word “can’t.

If they can make a unit with 250 amp and 2000 speakers that most can’t tell they are not the real thing they can make a unit to beat out all others . . I am pretty sure the Fractal team doesn’t use the word “can’t.
Again, it's not about the amount... It's about the processing power to run 1 amp model. Think about it... The unused blocks and Amp/Effects types don't use processing power.

Has Fractal considered making a hand size portable unit you could down a few of favorite presets to travel and practice with?
It's a great idea and very doable. It would have to be stripped down compared to an AxeFX of course. But the FM3 shows Cliff isn't afraid of creating a stripped down version. The HX Stomp has been a tremendous success, so I'm sure Cliff has considered something similar.

Imho the fm3 is the answer to that question. A lot of power and three buttond for at least a bit of controllability. My personal preference (wish) would be a full blown axe3 floor unit with mfc 101 number of buttons. For me personally that would be the ultimate unit. One less case to carry and all the options of the mothership.

I'd say it could be pretty doable, just not with current gen algorithms i.e. Cygnus. Not betting anything on Cliff and co willing to offer anything below current standards, tho.

I bet Cliff has considered a mini-unit and may even have something drawn up

Whether or not if sees production is another matter entirely

It's a great idea and very doable. It would have to be stripped down compared to an AxeFX of course. But the FM3 shows Cliff isn't afraid of creating a stripped down version. The HX Stomp has been a tremendous success, so I'm sure Cliff has considered something similar.
Line6 is a larger company backed by Yamaha. They can have economy of scale purchase power that helps make things like the HX Stomp plus they have built their architecture to support that sort of scalable product lineup better than Fractal's does. I'm sure Fractal also has no interest in competing in that price bracket because it's a pretty tough one without making severe compromises. The HX Stomp already makes those by having a significantly worse user interface than the full Helix.

As much as I would love a more compact unit than the FM3, I don't see it happening for this generation. I've thought about building a custom housing for the FM3 that doesn't have the switches but it would not be much smaller because of the size of the main PCBs on the inside.

If you want something very compact, just go buy a HX Stomp. It's a great sounding unit.

I'd like to have a compact modeller also - thought of getting HX stomp but also watching the steady improvement of plugins for mobile devices enabling use of my iphone as a modeller - I have little hope of seeing Fractal models in plugin form though as I think that's come up before, and is a non-starter. Lately I'm liking Amplitube for Mac/Ios but it has a ways to go - would be cool if Neural did their plugins in ios.

Back
Top Bottom