Had an idea for my HK Tubemeister 36...

DavidE

Power User
I'm not a midi guy, but I think this should work if the midi block will allow it.

My HK amp let's me use midi to switch channels (and set output power per channel). So, it seems to me that I should be able to set up a midi block where switch off is clean channel, X is the crunch channel and Y is the high gain channel.

Think that will work?

I send the built in redbox xlr out to the pa, so I could run silently on stage if I wanted.

More possibilities.

My HK amp let's me use midi to switch channels (and set output power per channel). So, it seems to me that I should be able to set up a midi block where switch off is clean channel, X is the crunch channel and Y is the high gain channel.

Think that will work?
Yes.

I do exactly that with my g system and my TM36. You just need to use the midi learn feature on the amp to change the settings depending on the command coming from the fx8. It's really easy

Thanks. Now I have to decide whether it's worth giving up a block since I would have to run a midi cable. It's not much different than putting my small footswitch on my board and running a stereo cable and that would give me led channel indicators for he channel status.

Thanks. Now I have to decide whether it's worth giving up a block since I would have to run a midi cable. It's not much different than putting my small footswitch on my board and running a stereo cable and that would give me led channel indicators for he channel status.

If your amp switches on MIDI PC#'s, with a little planning, you can use SCENES to switch your amp. This way you would not have to give up one of your 8 blocks.

If your amp switches on MIDI PC#'s, with a little planning, you can use SCENES to switch your amp. This way you would not have to give up one of your 8 blocks.

This may not yield the desired results. If he turns on an effect while in scene 1, when he switches scenes to change the channel of his amp the on/off status of the effect will default to the scene setting.

This may not yield the desired results. If he turns on an effect while in scene 1, when he switches scenes to change the channel of his amp the on/off status of the effect will default to the scene setting.

Yes. Scenes take more planning.

Yes. Scenes take more planning.

Eric's point is why switching scenes wouldn't work well for me. So far I'm just using one scene and staying in one preset. If I used a midi block to change amp channels then switched scenes for a reason other than changing amp channels, I'd still go to the default channel for that scene. So, using a regular footswitch for the amp might be the way to go. Last weekend I just kept the amp on the clean channel and used a single drive block with x/y settings to give me my 3 channel amp. Worked great for my purposes.

Last edited:
Can't you trigger a midi pc command from the fx8 when entering a new scene without a midi block being used ? I thought you could.

That way you could have 8 scenes within a preset with the first sending a midi pc - the rest have the pc change switched off but different fx blocks on or off depending on the scene. That way you can have multiple fx on and off at the same time when changing scenes.

Can't you trigger a midi pc command from the fx8 when entering a new scene without a midi block being used ? I thought you could.

That way you could have 8 scenes within a preset with the first sending a midi pc - the rest have the pc change switched off but different fx blocks on or off depending on the scene. That way you can have multiple fx on and off at the same time when changing scenes.

Yes, but Eric's post above. I'm an old stompbox guy and not a fan of presets. I can see having a few scenes set up as virtual pedalboards and using it in stompbox mode. That's how I used my M13 in the past. I can't get along with having to rember that if i want chorus on, crunch channel on, a certain deal and reverb, i have to choose scene 7. But if i want the same sound with the high gain channel, i have to choose scene 9. At least theyd all be in the same bank..... Right?

If my band played the same songs in the same order every gig, i might be able to do it. At that point, i might as well go full on amp and cab modeling too. But its not the way i approach things now. I'm quite satisfied with one amp and some versatile effects.

There are 8 scenes to a preset. Each scene has the same fx block layout but you can choose different fx block on/off/setting per scene for each block.

QUOTE=Rex;1210111]Bank = bank; preset = preset. There are eight presets in a bank.[/QUOTE]

But I thought each of the 8 "virtual pedalboards" in a bank was a scene?

Is there a head about to explod emoji? ;-))

:confusion:[:confusion:[:confusion:[:confusion:[:confusion:[:confusion:[:confusion:[:confusion:

But I thought each of the 8 "virtual pedalboards" in a bank was a scene?
Eight scenes in a preset, eight presets in a bank.

Changing scenes won't change the "virtual pedalboard," but it will change which of those virtual pedals is engaged. And it can change a few other clever things, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom