had a freeze on a gig...

macfly

Inspired
Just curious if this is something that just happens from time to time. AxeFX III and FC12.

FC12 (mkI, fw 1.12) froze, and I didn't think to try to use the front panel on the axe to see if it was also frozen. I just rebooted, and did not have the problem again.

Axe FX mkII is at FW 20. CPU on that preset is around 67. Gig was outside adjacent to a bar on the shore, so in my mind I chalked it up to weird power and/or long runs of extension cords, but who knows. I have a string of outdoor gigs so, I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Great it help's👍
Btw, the new cable delivered by my axe-fx 3 was the trouble..
Maybe usb2 instead usb3?

Sometimes you gotta just be glad it's fixed and move onto the next thing. I hope it is, sounds like it is.
It's just so funny. It had never frozen, but when fw20 came out, I was excited about the new speed in scene changes, yet didn't feel like I was hearing it. I saw a couple of folks say that they didn't either and just decided not to worry about it. Did not even consider that the cool right angle clocking cable I'd bought might be the problem with the lag. Then the freeze...turns out that was awesome...new cable and now the thing works like it should. Fingers crossed that was the freeze problem too. Thanks to FAS support (Matt Picone @Admin M@ ? and Michael Martel), @abde, and @bansta for the help!

I have found that by building all my cables with quality cables and plugs, eliminates problems and provides excellent tonal results. MHO

Just in case: if your problem does happen to return, it may be worthwhile to open the unit and check on the ribbon connectors. In my case that's what fixed the problem. My FC-12 had been freezing about every few hours of use, always requiring to unplug and re-plug the FASLink to reboot the FC and changing the cable didn't help. After I undid, cleaned and re-seated the connectors about 2 years ago it has never frozen again.
Some others seem to have had success with this as well (which is where I got the idea):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-12-freezing.170766/#post-2074924
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-12-switches-stop-working.170778/

Dude...I just got around to trying the new cable and I'd swear that scenes and patches are switching faster! Go easy if the rest of you are thinking, "no shit, dumbass!" LOL Anyway, I'd say that's a good indication that the cable was the problem.
What was the old cable and what's the new cable? Are they like-for-like?

Speak of another glitch, when Im switching presets or even scenes I get these brief cut outs. This isn't ideal for playthrough videos if a person wants to keep it real and not be fake like the signature playthough attempts out there that also have at least 1000 or more edits in post (these types usually also take about a week of takes before they get the part right too).. Looking to just have smoother transitions without that sudden mini dropout or stark sudden glitch when switching. Is this a much lessened issue in the Turbo?

Just wanted to add my experience here, I never had freezing FC-12 issues until I started using Set-Lists, at first I though it was a specific switch that had stopped responding but at the weekend I could not get back to the Master layout or change songs so had to reboot the Axe-FX mid song (luckily I had an opportunity) or I was playing the next song with the wrong sounds dialled in. So abandoning Set-Lists for now although I'm not 100% sure its even related to that!!

Back
Top Bottom