Guthrie Govan Leaves Suhr!!! :S....

Suhr's are great guitars but I don't understand the price tag. My friend just ordered a Suhr Modern that should be all white including pickups and everything. Well it came in and had black pickups. Suhr was nice enough to send him the new pickups free of charge though which is cool. That's not the real problem. The guitar has the volume and tone knob the wrong way around. :D So the first knob is tone and the second one is volume. Same guy ordered a nice looking sparkle 7-string Suhr Modern and he wasn't all that happy with the pickups so he thought about changing the pickups and when he took out the pickups he noticed the pickups weren't the one he had ordered in the first place.

So the way I feel about the brand SUHR is not 100% perfect quality. :)

The reason why I question the price tag is that Suhr makes other manufacturers models and most people would rather just get a Custom Shop Fender or a high end Ibanez.

Just imagine how bad would it feel to play a Suhr telecaster and someone comes in to compliment your guitar and goes: "That's a nice looking Fen.... oh, that's not a real Fender". I would most likely start to cry.

Suhr's are great guitars but I don't understand the price tag. My friend just ordered a Suhr Modern that should be all white including pickups and everything. Well it came in and had black pickups. Suhr was nice enough to send him the new pickups free of charge though which is cool. That's not the real problem. The guitar has the volume and tone knob the wrong way around. :D So the first knob is tone and the second one is volume. Same guy ordered a nice looking sparkle 7-string Suhr Modern and he wasn't all that happy with the pickups so he thought about changing the pickups and when he took out the pickups he noticed the pickups weren't the one he had ordered in the first place.

The reason why I question the price tag is that Suhr makes other manufacturers models and most people would rather just get a Custom Shop Fender or a high end Ibanez.

Just imagine how bad would it feel to play a Suhr telecaster and someone comes in to compliment your guitar and goes: "That's a nice looking Fen.... oh, that's not a real Fender". I would most likely start to cry.
I don't know Clark that has been rarely the case. I have seen a lot of people quiet happy with their Suhrs. I mean check out all the great players like Tom Quayle and all,they look like great strats but Suhr do have a lot of recognition in the music community. And which pickups for the Suhr modern did your friend ask for. They basically have the Suhr 7 pickups which are quiet similar to the Alderich pickups.

Clark, with all the raves for Suhr guitars did you every think that knowing you causes bad luck for Suhr owners? :razz

Sorry Clark but I don't think anyone buys that story. If you'd cry over your Suhr not being a Fender, then just get a Fender.

i wonder if Cornford owners went up in arms when Guthrie left?;)

i played a few Suhr guitars at the NY amp show last June.......to me they played kind of just meh......maybe due to bad setup,maybe they're not right for me,they did not feel $3,500.00 worthy.

Last edited:

No guitar maker has 100% perfect quality. I've played some Suhrs that were duds. I've played some $4000 PRS that were dead planks too. That said, I've also played/owned some $500 "cheap" guitars that were absolute monsters. It goes for any maker - always try to play before you buy, especially once the price tag gets up there. I've owned tons of high end Ibanez (and I own a few of them right now) and honestly my Suhr 7 smokes all of the Prestiges and J-Customs I've had. That's not to say that all of them will, but again I played the guitar, loved it, and decided it was worth the price.

I don't really care what the name brand is on the headstock - a great guitar is a great guitar, and a lifeless dud is a lifeless dud, wether it says Suhr, Ibanez or Squire on the headstock. If someone says "oh, that's not a real Fender", then they're judging your guitar by how it looks, and not how it sounds. Who the hell cares what someone like that thinks?

Sorry Clark but I don't think anyone buys that story. If you'd cry over your Suhr not being a Fender, then just get a Fender.

I am being completely 100% honest. This friend of mine isn't on this forum, but he goes by the name KUNU on many forums f.ex. John Petrucci forum so ask him in person if you don't believe me.

No guitar maker has 100% perfect quality. I've played some Suhrs that were duds. I've played some $4000 PRS that were dead planks too. That said, I've also played/owned some $500 "cheap" guitars that were absolute monsters. It goes for any maker - always try to play before you buy, especially once the price tag gets up there. I've owned tons of high end Ibanez (and I own a few of them right now) and honestly my Suhr 7 smokes all of the Prestiges and J-Customs I've had. That's not to say that all of them will, but again I played the guitar, loved it, and decided it was worth the price.

I don't really care what the name brand is on the headstock - a great guitar is a great guitar, and a lifeless dud is a lifeless dud, wether it says Suhr, Ibanez or Squire on the headstock. If someone says "oh, that's not a real Fender", then they're judging your guitar by how it looks, and not how it sounds. Who the hell cares what someone like that thinks?

This is so true. That being said the setup of a guitar plays a huge role in this. Eventually it was best to learn how to set up a guitar quickly.

My newest guitar purchase is the cheapest guitar I've EVER bought: Squier Jim Root Telecaster but I had spare PRS pickups so I put them into this guitar and a 5-way switch. It's honestly one of the best live guitars I've ever had:

1) no trem so stays in tune
2) cheap so no tears over dings so I can jump around at gigs
3) 5-way switch with PRS HFS/Vintage Bass = every tone imaginable with very fast toggling

I have a funny story from two days ago. :) I was playing this gig with two other bands and one of the bands was some Lithuanian Idols finalist's band. Anyways their guitarist had a 1974 Tele and he kept on telling me that it's the best guitar he has ever played since it has unlimited sustain. Well okay... we were drunk and decided to battle. 2012 Squier vs 1974 Fender sustain competition. Mine rang almost twice as long as his. :)

My point is that sure you get more when you pay more but 350€ guitar vs 3500€ guitar is nowhere near 10 times better.

Well what do you do if you live in a place where there are no dealers for the guitars you want and aren't living near a country that has a dealer. You're basically ordering online with your specs,is that a risk?

I'm partial to Ibanez but would love to have a Suhr modern or Guthrie sig. but atm I can't afford either. I have a few < $800 Ibanez guitars that would go up against others I've seen and surpass many of the high end ones from any mfg.
The best investment of your time and money (besides aquiring guitars :)) is to buy a few fret dressing/leveling tools and and learn to solder enough to change pickups etc... and some setup basics IMO.
In the days of the old Teisco and Silvertone alot of guitars did not have the potential to play well no matter what you did to them. Now I find with $119 Squires or $3,500 Gibsons you can make them play great with a little work. (and yes the Gibsons usually need it too)
IMHO :)

^^^ Yup. Have had many guys bring me there new Gibson's, etc. for fret dress and polish. Not the only big name company either. That's how it is with monster (quantity) guitar companies. Sad when you drop a couple to a few "k" on a guitar and have to have fret work done right away.

Have been very lucky. Have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and Ibanez Jem7VWH. Both used and both 2 of the best guitars I've ever been lucky enough to play. Sorry for those who have felt let down in any way with the brands they have invested in. My only advice would be when possible try before you buy. I still crave for a Frank Gamble Ibanez FGM400QM. To date it's been to most incredible guitar I've ever played.

Plexi - this is offensive. "Whilst" is the standard word for "while" in many parts of the English-speaking world. The poster is from the UK, and being Australian I also tend to say "whilst" far more often. There is no need for these sort of remarks.

I know where he's from, I know "whilst" is popular there, and I no offense was intended, of course. It just sounds archaic to US English speakers. In the US it is used solely by folks who take themselves too seriously.

On a more serious note, it also happens that taxes are much higher in those parts of the world, and US-made gear costs absolutely crazy amounts of money. When you drop as much dough on a guitar as he likely did, you're more likely to have unreasonable expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been very lucky. Have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and Ibanez Jem7VWH. Both used and both 2 of the best guitars I've ever been lucky enough to play. Sorry for those who have felt let down in any way with the brands they have invested in. My only advice would be when possible try before you buy. I still crave for a Frank Gamble Ibanez FGM400QM. To date it's been to most incredible guitar I've ever played.

FWIW, I unloaded my Jem shortly after buying my Modern. The two just don't compare. Never had an LPS, pricing is a bit too crazy on the better ones.

Immortal_soloist. As it turns out Tom Quayle is selling his Suhr standard and is now playing Fibenare guitars.
I am more than happy with my custom order Suhr which I got 2 months ago. It's getting a lot more play time than any other guitar I have.

Back
Top Bottom