Guthrie Govan Lead Tone Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2llLs4D5PA :shock

I love this guy play, and this lead tone in the video with the axefx is outstanding, sweet, tasty, absolutely what I'm looking for. Of course 90% is in his fingers, but maybe here I can get a few ideas how to get close. I can hear the delay, but apart from that I have no idea which amp, maybe settings he uses. Seems to be the bridge pickup. I play PRS SE Custom 24 myself. Any ideas? :numbness:

I know he dug Freidman amps and the Suhr Badger, so might want to start with those amp models. I run some compression on a deluxe reverb in parallel with my solo tone and mix it to taste. Gives it a bit more dynamic, organic sound. You get to hear a lot more of the string sound and pick attack etc. which can help a lot too.

Ok, Gonna try this. Wondering how he gets this creamy singing tone without nearly no overdrive/distortion? :-o holy grail in tone for my taste :)

Last edited:
try the new friedman small box. at that time who knows what model he was using.. like said above a suhr badger with a ruckus pedal might get you in that ballpark too.

Guthrie has stated that the tones in his videos are FACTORY PRESETS with tweaks only to delay and reverb mix.
I don't remember the numbers or the amp types, but it really goes to show that tone comes from the hands!
I think of things like this every time someone tells me they can't enjoy the factory presets.

i just love watching guthrie. such great phrasing and feel. no idea what amp he's using....the axe fx screen is out of focus unfortunately!

Under this video it says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFQbq3wvPw

Axe FX Patches used:
Rendezvous: Preset 9 1987 X Treble
Groove On: Preset 24 USA Lead
Remember When, Bigfoot + Too Cool For School: Preset 24 Friedman HBE

On a related note..

He's using one of his sig GG Charvels but sans the Old style Floyd. Looks like a regular Gotoh 510 with bent steel saddles. Wonder why the change!? I never understood why anyone would want a floyd without the fine tuners other than to keep the overall size and awkwardness down. Sorry..
Back to your regular scheduled programming.

FWIW I seem to remember him using a Cornford. That amp sim seems to be improved greatly in the latest firmware (18.0)

Guthrie has stated that the tones in his videos are FACTORY PRESETS with tweaks only to delay and reverb mix.
I don't remember the numbers or the amp types, but it really goes to show that tone comes from the hands!
I think of things like this every time someone tells me they can't enjoy the factory presets.

I always wonder about that too. I personally like many of the factory presets, especially when using low output guitars (like my Strat.) I have to personally do a lot more tweaking with my higher output guitars, but the presets for me have been really pretty good.

GG is a just a monster player. So freaking good.

On a related note..

He's using one of his sig GG Charvels but sans the Old style Floyd. Looks like a regular Gotoh 510 with bent steel saddles. Wonder why the change!? I never understood why anyone would want a floyd without the fine tuners other than to keep the overall size and awkwardness down. Sorry..
Back to your regular scheduled programming.

FWIW I seem to remember him using a Cornford. That amp sim seems to be improved greatly in the latest firmware (18.0)
Dont know much about this technial aspects of vibratos. But i think in general this guitar is fantastic. Was searching for some good Reviews, but could only find some youtube vids (sorry offtopic)

So true. I've existed on factory presets with reverb tweaks, both in studio and live, since 2009. Awesome sound... zero regrets.

For those who haven't already heard it check out Steven Wilson's newest album Hand. Cannot. Erase. Guthrie has some absolutely stellar solos on it, I've no clue if he was using the AxeFX for them, but the tone is absolutely fantastic.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think Guthrie's tone has improved dramatically since he started using the Axe, I remember him always sounding a little harsh and boxy with the Cornfords.

OK, thanks so far. The tip with the Friedman Stock preset was great. I can get in the ballpark with BE/HBE, but have to roll off tone poti on my guitar to lower treble (which i normally never do).
So today I learned a few things:
1) Stock presets (at least since FW 18 ) are great and do their job if you wanna play more and tweak less.
2) I never liked the Friedmans, but in FW 18 they are fantastic.
3) should use my tone poti on guitar sometimes.
8)

Back
Top Bottom