Guthrie Govan is the best guitar player alive today

Guthrie Govan is the best guitar player alive today

• Total voters
Define "best". The very definition of "best" will vary depending on the subject matter and will be different from person to person.

He is by far my favourite player and a force to be reckoned with as far as his musical abilities regard, however I believe that there are equally impressive players out there with their own style and technique. Shawn Lane is an example. Like people have said, music is completely subjective. There is no "best" player to name, because we could be here all week debating the pro's and con's of each nominated player.

you can take your djents players, slow blues players, jazz, metal whatever, satriani's, vai's, EVH's and every other guitarists in the world, they don't hold a candle to this guy.

I appreciate the fact that he's a really good player. That's obvious. Best? I dunno...so subjective. Best at what? To me, the best guitarist is going to be the one that innovates and influences multitudes of players that come after him in some fundamental way. We saw that with Clapton, Hendrix, and EVH. Satch and Vai kinda were post-EVH players with their own style.

Whether Govan will have that kind of influence or bring the same level of innovation to the art is yet to be seen. I'd bet that outside of a relatively small group of guitar players, and especially players that frequent forums like this, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's even heard of him.

Last edited:
i'm surprised to see that it took 22 post before Henderson was mentioned.

I've sampled some Govan, technically he's great but I don't pick up on the soul and feel that I do with someone like Henderson. I like a lot of players, many bring something unique to the table, none of them are a master of all facets.

I think he stands above any other player in the fact that he can inhabit so many styles at a VIRTUOSO level. Are there better metal, country, jazz, blues players at their respective genres...sure, but I don't there any other guys that play so many styles at the expert level that Guthrie does. That's why I think if there is a best, he's it...

Unfortunately the "competition" spirit reigns in the virtuoso arena and it bleeds into the rest of the music culture.

Would you say that Robert Johnson was ever the "best" guitarist? Does his work live on? Will it live on longer than such as Malmsteen or Govan? Time will tell.

I think this is a bit like comparing Picasso to Bosch or Van Gogh? Which one touches you spiritually?

I like Scott Henderson's fire and over-the-ramparts charge. I love Frisel's restrained touch and musicality. I drool over Wes's choice of notes and articulation. I certainly like Vai's humor and technical skill. Jeff Beck's rendition of "Ended as Lovers" moves me. Pat Metheny's compositions are exhilarating and stimulating.

Which one is the best? The one I am listening to at that moment.

Well music is not a competition,there are so many wonderful guitar players that represent different things and strengths in their playing.

As far as Guthrie Govan is concerned though,he is an incredible Guitar Player that is absolutely diverse and he can play in so many different styles.

He is a virtuoso without a doubt and keeps everything very musical,definitely my favourite guitar player for sure,along with a few others. He does come number 1 on
my list,other's will have their own choices.

Personally speaking his work on Steven Wilson's album is incredible as well. I think Steven Wilson is an incredible song writer,composer and a very good guitar player;for what he does.

That was just a thought,considering Guthrie Govan played on Steven's album.

Guthrie Govan is the players player,the same goes for Shawn Lane(RIP) and Steve Morse.

GG is an amazing technical player but like many high level players they usually start playing things to keep themselves from getting bored, which can leave even the musician listener, let alone the casual listener saying WTF!!??
Some of Guthrie's playing leaves me in awe while some just irritates me (just like many other favorites)

He is not the best as I don't think anyone is. But he and many others have reached a level that many will never see, so we can all have our heroes I suppose.

As far as changing and influencing the most people and guitar (and players) for what it is/was no one will ever achieve what Eddie Van Halen has.....ever

If he can win one more SuperBowl than I think that you can make the argument that he is the greatest ever to play the game of.....guitar? :ambivalence:

Back
Top Bottom