Guthrie Govan + Axe-FXII @ Jam Track Central

I might be going to see him Sunday night. Just so happens he is in our neck of the woods. I'm sure it will be great and I will be all depressed afterwards, LOL.

maybe depressed about the playing part, but honestly, you created a machine that INSPIRES him to play so great... even a great player has trouble executing when using crappy gear.

so you can definitely be happy about that :)

Sounds good, but to me he's one of a small handful of players on the planet where he has a perfect combination of blazing chops and soulfulness. What really stands out to me is his vibrato; its so tastefully expressive. Plus he comes off as such a nice guy in his seminars and stuff.

Not sure if I can trust someone who is clearly hiding something. ;)
Exactly. More often than not, players like this sound sterile and robotic. Guthrie's playing is just awesome. Tons of character and feel.

If you have a chance to see him live - it is really a special experience.
I saw him in 2009 at a small basement performance room at a music store near Chicago when he was doing promo work for Suhr dealers.
Honestly was no bigger than a 50'X40' room with chairs set up in front of a small performance stage. Maybe 75 people packed in.
He played a very long set of fusion type tracks and selections from his CD with a backup group of his own mates and local musicians who were excellent.
Here are a few pics I took (not the best quality):

Guthrie Govan pics - a set on Flickr

He then stayed and signed autgraphs and chatted with everybody.
Great guy and loves to play.

My favorite was a Tommy Bolin/Billy Cobham medley he played from the Spectrum album.

I might be going to see him Sunday night. Just so happens he is in our neck of the woods. I'm sure it will be great and I will be all depressed afterwards, LOL.

Where is he playing? Checked his official web site and there is no info.. He's always amazing, saw him at Berklee last time he played there.

To all the people hating their own playing on account of Guthrie:

If you're disappointed with your rate of progress, DO SOMETHING about it!
Don't just sit there depressed!

p.s. Cliff, if Guthrie was playing anywhere near me, I'd be there!

I remember the first time I heard Steve Morse play the Bash! Then 30 years later I find Guthrie. Wow do I have to wait another 30 years to be that impressed again? Thank god he got an Axe!

From what I've seen he's not only a unique and gifted player, but one of the most laid back and friendly people in the music world.
His style of playing is fantastic. Just when you think he's a slow laid back player his fingers will go to 11.
Cool news for Fractal and musicians alike !

From what I've seen he's not only a unique and gifted player, but one of the most laid back and friendly people in the music world.
His style of playing is fantastic. Just when you think he's a slow laid back player his fingers will go to 11.
Cool news for Fractal and musicians alike !

I see, that is why he is holding back his pinky in the hooked position most of the time. He is hiding his 6th finger so he can use it when shifting to 11, shred gear overdrive.

Slow and methodical, then a sudden BLuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...................... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :eek:

Does it break one of the 10 commandments to Covet your neighbor's Fingers??

You guys are neighbors? :-|

Ha Ha - Hardly brother. So Cal is a long long way from GG's digs. I was just borrowing from a widely read book, where it said; "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." I always thought that meant kind of a global village type context to the word neighbour...

However, if the way you read it prevails, then I can in fact go ahead and riotously covet basically all wives, houses, ox and various ass of assorted type other than those belonging to Thy neighbour..

Wow, this whole time I was limiting myself. I can not only covet Govan's fingers, (all eleven of them) but it is also clearly OK to covet his woman as well..

Amen. That's exactly how I feel after I see Larry Carlton or Robben Ford play live... a combination of elated, and depressed because "I'll never ever be that good., not enough time left in life to catch up even if I tried." Elated+Depressed == ElDepressed.

They're probably just slightly tweaked factory presets anyway. That's what Guthrie told me he used last time.

from the JTC website:

For the many thousands that have watched or downloaded Guthrie Govan's brand new Late Night Sessions 2 jam track series, you should have noticed that he is using his trusty Axe Fx II. We are sure that many of you are wanting to know just how he got those amazing tones. Of course, the player helps but due to the incredible power of this fantastic unit, Guthrie actually used five factory presets. The only modification was to remove the reverb and delay so that we could add as required for the final mixes.
The factory presets used were:
East City Central Lights - Friedman HBE
The Open Highway - Friedman HBE
Seal The Feel - Plexi Treble
The Best Of Times - USA Lead
Time To Let Her Go - Class A 15 Watts TB
I guess it goes to show that this is one incredible unit. Of course, we could have spent hours delving deep into the roots of what the unit could do, but these presets already hit the nail on the head.

Back
Top Bottom