Guitar Solo tone on Queen's "I Want To Break Free"?

iohanr

It kind of sounds like a synth with auto wah? I was wondering what effects I can use to try and recreate that sound?

On the album, I was reading some things from people saying that it sounds like it was done using a patch on an Evantide H3000 DS/X model. Brian was known for using those, but didn't have it in '84, so I'm not sure. The studio could have had one I guess. It could have been done using some sort of an auto-wah / envelope filter as well. Someone with a Brian May model guitar said it was probably done with all 3 pickups on and in phase to achieve that really thick sound.

Live, where he actually did play it with the guitar, it sounds like he had some wah. Someone said you can actually hear it go toe down just before he plays the solo. I haven't noticed that though, so I'll have to take another listen.

I use a patch named Goopy, made by a bass player and posted here.
It's close to that kind of tone, although optimized for low notes.
It's in my patch collection, see Share and Request forum.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@DLM - thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll start by trying out some auto-wah type settings on an AC30 amp model? Maybe even a mix of an auto-wah and a "fixed-wah"?

@yek - I will try the Goopy patch from your collection...

@tonygtr - that's fine if it's a synth and not even played by Brian May. I am still interested in creating a patch that can make my guitar sound as close as possible to that... it seems like something the axe-fx is capable of getting pretty close to especially since I've seen/heard axe-fx do some crazy effects...even ones that sound like a violin.

Back
Top Bottom