Guitar Rig - Native Instruments

I used to use GR on my MacBook Pro when traveling. A USB cable to the guitar, and I was able to play on the laptop, which made for a compact rig. That said, it did sound like ass. I was never able to really getting sounding great. Used headphones at the time.

I tried it once on the PC as well, but it wasn't really a better experience. I haven't looked at what might replace it on the laptop. It's been a while since I've traveled like that.

If you want organic amp-like tones, I think Scuffham S-Gear and Amplitube are among the best.
I also like a couple of the Plugin Alliance ones a lot, specifically the Chandler GAV19T and the ENGL E765 RT.
(All these are paid commercial plugins.)

Back in the day I thought AmpKit was perfect for practicing in my hotel room — Sonoma Guitar Jack, plug in a guitar and my IEMs and it didn’t bother anyone else.

“sound quality”? meh, but what do you expect for a couple hundred bucks?

On the same planet as my AFX3 — most certainly not.

Guitar rig is like a 30 year old Geo. It'll get you from point A to point B but it might not sound the greatest, but hey you didn't pay anything for it so it's all good.

Things like Neural DSP and Helix native are like a subaru WRX. Not too expensive, a lot more powerful than the cheapest economy options, and to the average driver it's going to feel like a racecar.

Fractal is the Ferrari of the bunch. The most complicated and fastest out of the three when used properly, but also easily driven into a wall by an inexperienced or uncaring driver.

Search for „Neural Amp Modeller“, also Leon Todd did a Video about it!
It is a FREE high quality Amp Profiler VST Plugin and there are also a lot of free Modells out there - download it on Git Hub, its really good!

Wondering if you could share a few? Been out of the plug-in loop for years. I do wish there was a Fractal VST/AU version.
Aside from what everyone else is recommending, I highly encourage you to try LePou plugins, sadly I heard that he isn’t with us anymore. These plugins kept me busy for a long time, I think cloudkicker uses them on most, if not all of his albums. You can use any effects in your DAW and save a preset that way.

https://plugins4free.com/dev/258/

...easy reamping if needed, it’s a pretty practical sollution
I do record a lot with the Axe III via S/PDIF but sometimes I wouldn't mind using an insert. Tried to re-amp recently via USB and it was snap, crackle and pop. My DAW and OS haven't changed and cables are good so I'm not sure when my compatibility went south.

I do record a lot with the Axe III via S/PDIF but sometimes I wouldn't mind using an insert. Tried to re-amp recently via USB and it was snap, crackle and pop. My DAW and OS haven't changed and cables are good so I'm not sure when my compatibility went south.
Recording over Usb has a fixed rate of 48khz. What you’re describing might well be due to inconsistency in sample rates.

Back
Top Bottom