Guitar Picks, What do you play?

Dunlop Ultex sharps and Jazz III. I also really like the Dava control picks. I generally tend to gravitate towards. O.88-1

I use Hot Licks Cooper picks #10, long discontinued. I use the side of the pick. I bought a lifetime supply, I hope.

That brings me back... I used those back in the late 80's/early 90's when I pretty much did nothing but down picking palm-muted kind of stuff... Also used some stainless steel ones around the same time... Great for palm-muted metal riffs, but as soon as I started doing more strumming I found them limiting...

It was because of threads like this one that I started using Jazz IIIs and haven't looked back. I tried the JP Jazz IIIs but found them too big compared to the normal Jazz IIIs, but they are good picks for the times I want to play bass with a pick.

Tortex the white ones with the Turtles - I like Turtles -
Ha back in the day if we did'nt have a pick we'd fold up a matchbook and strum with that.

Tortex the white ones with the Turtles - I like Turtles -
Ha back in the day if we did'nt have a pick we'd fold up a matchbook and strum with that.

You know there's like 3-dozen styles of tortex picks with a turtle on them, right? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used the regular black nylon Jazz IIIs for nearly 20 years (I used to order them by the bag of 48 when I was gigging a lot), but at the start of last year I got curious about all the new varieties of them Dunlop had started to make. I ordered up a few of each from FleaBay and spent a couple of weeks A-Bing them all. At first I hated the carbon fibre because it was giving me a pronounced scrape across the string (I was holding my pick at an angle), but I couldn't get away from how much brighter and cleaner they sounded - so I spent a few months redeveloping my technique and now the pick is just about flat as it crosses the string and I get a cleaner, brighter sound with more attack.

tl;dr - Carbon fibre Max-Grip Jazz IIIs.

Maybe you guys know where to get picks cheaper in larger quantities? Say dunlop picks for example?

Maybe you guys know where to get picks cheaper in larger quantities? Say dunlop picks for example?

I tend to get everything off Ebay - strings too. I don't just look for the biggest packs either - I've found sometimes the smaller packs end up with a lower unit price, although heaven only knows why.

I use 2mm Gator grips and derlin's for the most part. The re-issued Adamas Graphite 2.0's are worth a look. Just a hair larger though...haven't used them as much as the Gator's. I may try a Red Bear once they start up production again. I've used JB's in the past as well that are very nice as well.

A few months ago, I switched to the John Petrucci jazz III, after using the purple Dunlop Tortex 1.14 since the mid-nineties

dunlop usa nylons, various thickness depending on the plank .6's on my jem cause of the lighter string guage and .8's everything else
I like the chimey u2 style attack from the textured finish, so i hold them upside down too, I also tend to buy 12 in a pack for the unit price

6xNylonPicks.jpg

I just received some Jazz III ultex XL size and there great. Some picking styles are easier with the larger size, sweeping and arpeggios just need to adjust since I've used the Jazz III size picks for the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom