Guitar Magazine Time Capsule

Well shoot if you're ever rolling through San Luis Obispo toss a few in the trunk and swing by the ranch! 😅

I only ever subscribed to Guitar World; what about GFTPM set it apart?
At the time GFTPM was geared more towards modern (mid to late 80's;)) guitar playing. They also had full song transcriptions not just the solo. Guitar World had a good lesson section with modern contributors for the time frame. Guitar Player was geared more towards the older player, but the lessons were in depth with theory and technique.

At the time GFTPM was geared more towards modern (mid to late 80's;)) guitar playing. They also had full song transcriptions not just the solo. Guitar World had a good lesson section with modern contributors for the time frame. Guitar Player was geared more towards the older player, but the lessons were in depth with theory and technique.
Yeah, that's a good summary.

I think the transcriptions were better quality, too. Overall, I just liked the vibe and content the best.

Also the In the Listening Room section was also very interesting and unique in GFTPM. They would take a player and have them listen to four or five songs, without telling them anything about the songs, then they’d have the player give their impression of each one; it was a really insightful way to bring out the thought process of the player. Right now I’m remembering the Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche reacting to a Cacophony song. And Joe Satriani’s articles were the best and most thoughtful; I guess I love everything about that guy. Also John Stix’s interviews seemed to me to come from such a place of understanding, far beyond anything else I was reading at the time. Finally, not only were the transcriptions scrupulously accurate, but the Performance Notes for each song were tremendously helpful to try to get inside the minds of the players. It was just perfection cover to cover, in my book. Man I miss that era of guitar.

Edited for 1,000,000 swiping errors.

Last edited:
Also the In the Listening Room section was also very relaxing and unique in GFTPM. They take a player and have them listen to for or five songs, without telling them anything about the songs, then they have the player give their impression of each one; it was really interesting. Right now I’m remembering the Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche reacting to a Cacophony song. And Joe Satriani’s articles were the best and most thoughtful; I guess I love everything about that guy. Also John Stix’s interviews seemed to me to come from such a place of understanding, far beyond anything else I was reading at the time. Finally, not only were the transcriptions scrupulously accurate, but the Performance Notes for each song were tremendously helpful to try to get inside the minds of the players. It was just perfection cover to cover, in my book. Man I miss that era of guitar.
Yes, In The Listening Room was great. I remember Warren DeMartini going full fanboy on a Steely Dan track.:D

Back
Top Bottom