Guitar Instrumentals?

You specified "accessible" and "interesting" in your post. I think Cecilia Ann (Pixies version) is all that and a ton of fun to play. It also checks the surf sound someone mentioned.

Oh I forgot to add my favorite: Michael Lee Firkins!!. Not only does he have perfect technique (think petrucci accuracy, Timmons blues knowledge, with Becker’s playfulness and experimental technical movements of the limits of electric guitar playing). His debut album is excellent all the way through.

Oh I forgot to add my favorite: Michael Lee Firkins!!. Not only does he have perfect technique (think petrucci accuracy, Timmons blues knowledge, with Becker’s playfulness and experimental technical movements of the limits of electric guitar playing). His debut album is excellent all the way through.
It's in my list above ;)

That album is in my top 10 instrumental list for sure!

It's funny - some time after I had become a big fan I read an interview with Jeff Beck and Firkins was the guy he mentioned as current guitarists he was impressed with.

It's in my list above ;)

That album is in my top 10 instrumental list for sure!

It's funny - some time after I had become a big fan I read an interview with Jeff Beck and Firkins was the guy he mentioned as current guitarists he was impressed with.
Oops sorry dude
Can’t believe I missed that in your compendium

that is really cool to hear beck appreciated Firkins; I mean , idk about you man but you seem to have almost the same taste and quality control I have in guitarists, but I feel if anyone was really experimental and progressive with guitars it was Hendrix with sonic amplification and manipulation, but at the time, beside Blackmore and dimeola I mean Jeff Beck made his own technique - anyway not to go too far off, but Firkins is like the modern day Beck - not truly understood or fully appreciated what he did because no one “got it” at the time it was so ahead and progressive , and I feel Firkins kind of hit that wall of so technically beyond the blues limit that he was overlooked like a Tesla....but anyway, Beck giving the tip of the hat is a cool story !

BTW i don’t mean to go off topic but does anyone see a strange pattern of an oddly disproportionate amount of the fastest and melodic shredders almost being 90% + Italian? Or is that just me? It’s making me want to see what is going on in Italy , between 1985 Long Island to the newer ones! Must be something in the water(Ferrari , Lamborghini, lol)

Last edited:
Aside from Satch, Vai, EJ, Holdsworth, Jeff Beck...

Alex Machacek - [sic], F.A.T.
Allen Hinds - Fly South, Monkeys and Slides
Andy Timmons - Theme From a Perfect World
Andy Wood - Junktown
The Aristocrats - everything!
Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back
Consider the Source - Are You Watching
Dixie Dregs - everything!
Forq - everything!
Greg Koch - Strat's Got Your Tongue, Radio Free Gristle
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Jim Weider / Project Percolator - Percolator, Pulse
Lari Basilio - Far More, The Sound of my Room
@Larry Mitchell - The Traveler, Rhythm of Life
Mark Lettieri - everything!
Mattias IA Eklundh - everything!
Michael Lee Firkins - Michael Lee Firkins
Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human
Pete Thorn - Guitar Nerd
Plini - everything!
Richie Kotzen - Electric Joy
Scott Henderson - Vibe Station, People Mover
Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey, others (not all instrumental)
Steffen Schackinger - Fire Dance
Awesome list unix-guy! Have added all to my Spotify library so I can explore further. Thanks!

Didn't see John 5 mentioned. I've only watched a few of his videos, but he's very impressive.
I bought one of his albums a number of years back and the only thing I enjoyed was the chicken pickin' stuff.

His lead playing seems sloppy to when he's shredding... I was expecting to be impressed and was underwhelmed.

Sylvain Gouvernaire, with the band IRIS. I used to listen that CD over and over. I consider it a masterpiece

Ian Mosley (Marillion) on drums
Pete Trewavas (Marillion, Transatlantic, Kino, Edison's Children) on bass

Here is the playlist of the complete album:

p.s.: I cannot believe that The Great JASON BECKER has still not been mentioned :oops:

Who has never been tempted to try to play this?:

Since he is paralyzed by ALS, he composed his last record "Triumphant Hearts" only by moving the eyes, pointing them to a device designed by his father.

The Triumphant Hearts album is a must-listen

Last edited:
From the Land of the Rising Sun:

D_Drive

Narumi

And the young and promising Li-sa-X

Every year (pre-covid era) guitar girls used to play an instrumental jam at NaonのYaon festival
Note the Axe-FX III behind Saki. I've also spotted a Kemper Toaster

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom