Guitar Cab Mic shootout - PT vid

Dyna Cab ribbon does not sound like a Beyer M160 to me?

More like the Shure or Royer IMO?

Ultimately I would LOVE a M160 in Dyna Cab, as well as a Marshall 4X12 with 75W'ers!
My bet is on the 313 and I agree, M160!

The thing that strikes me every time I listen to any of these things is just what amazing value for money the Shure SM57 is. I have no idea how many I have bought over the years, quite a few. I try to keep at least 3 in good working order at any time.
It never ceases to amaze me how crap the Royer 121 sounds. Le siiiiighhhhhhhh.
It does, but it has something at the bottom end that none of the other mics in the shootout really recreate. They are an expensive mic, so I've never taken the plunge, but strangely although I agree with your comments, I'd love to find a budget alternative. I can see the point of them.

Liam

Recently I've found more and more use for the SM57 by itself. I first found that it worked best for me with classic Plexi tones, then I found it worked great for modern high gain too. I used to find dark IRs for metal tones, then try to clean them up, but a moveable 57, to me, gives me all the low end I need without having to spend as long on the cleanup, and really being able to fine tune the mids just right. I tried this with all the Boogie Mark Series with enough built in gain, plus two of the Triaxis models, and the results were glorious.

I think I've pretty much settled on the 2x12 Bassman for the time being. I still think the SM7b is a better mic overall, but I may just find the SM57 more pleasing to dial in right now.

That video mentioned the most important fact, which was that none of the mics were placed in their individual sweet spots, rather they were all in the same spot so the differences could be more easily heard, which means...

...don't judge the mics from that video, rather just note their differences for future reference when you do try to place the one you choose at it's sweet spot for that specific cab/speaker/recording environment/desired tone.

Back
Top Bottom