Guitar Cab Mic shootout - PT vid

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Wasn't sure where to post this but its a handy vid demonstration of various mic's on a cab all used in the exact same position. A lot of players only use modellers and may not have any real world experience mic'ing up traditional cabs (myself included). Figuring out what mic to use can feel a bit abstract at times in the digital world though you can obviously just hear it but this vid captures the differences nicely. Now with dynacabs this is pretty relevant.

An important part they briefly touched on at the very end is that comparing all the mics placed exactly the same position is not quite "fair" because mics can sound better or worse depending on where they are placed.
right. that was the only thing I kept wondering about throughout. I'm sure certain mic's have better sweet spots.

if it isn't a R121 then it is something that has similar characteristics - I had created a a IR with Mikko 2 using the 57 and 121 and Mega djentv30 cab and when I switched to dynacabs and the recto slant with dynamic 1 and the ribbon the overall sound was genuinely similar - I preferred the dynacabs as was clearer in the low end.

if it isn't a R121 then it is something that has similar characteristics - I had created a a IR with Mikko 2 using the 57 and 121 and Mega djentv30 cab and when I switched to dynacabs and the recto slant with dynamic 1 and the ribbon the overall sound was genuinely similar - I preferred the dynacabs as was clearer in the low end.
all this "clearer" thing is just because of the shorter IR length no ? so less bass... just put 1024 ir length in the classic cab and it should be as clear

Back
Top Bottom