Grunge-style presets?

DoctorAK

So I'm now 9 months or so in with my FM9T and absolutely loving it. I came from a Helix I had for about a year, so I'm still getting to know modelers in general, and the FM9 keeps opening new doors for me.

I've been using a tweaked version of the live preset from Cooper Carter's class for band practice/gigs, and 90% of the time it works great, but the one place I feel it falls short is on 90's rock/pop-grunge style tunes--think Radiohead's Creep, Tonic's If You Could Only See, and Smashing Pumpkins' Cherub Rock.

Wondering how to get that crunch sound on the FM9 (and I guess in general). Is it using a cleanish Fender-style with pedals like the RAT? Or more of a high gain amp in different gain stages for different scenes? As a still relative newbie, literally any help/tip appreciated.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Fender-style and a rat in front. Good clean sounds with a fuzzy distortion sound. Leon Todd's Band Commander settings from his Block Library would be a great start for the Fender sound, then add the Rat to taste.

Im learning a bunch of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Foo FIghters, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden tunes for a couple of grunge shows and Im having success with the Ca3+ factory preset (couple personal tweaks). Been messing with the Tucana and like that too.

I think you can get there with a Fender clean (Bandmaster or similar) and then a JCM 800 for the crunchy and heavier (with a boost in front). Heavier than that and you could look at the Bogner XTC for Alice In Chains, Etc. So many options to get you where you want.

Would anyone know which effect is being used during the guitar solo for Soundgardens Fell on Black Days? is it rotary?

Here's my Cherub Rock preset.
Hey could anyone help me reassemble this preset for FM3??
I imported it and after importing it looks like this
1696117890721.png
Obviously there are some things missing and/or switched around upon import to my FM3 and I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like or the best way to try to make it as close to what it was originally intended to be. A screenshot from FM9 Edit of what it's supposed to look like would be awesome.
Was there only supposed to be a Scene 1 and Scene 8 and are any blocks missing or are they just out of order? I'm assuming it was probably some mega preset with two amp blocks and who knows what all lol.
Maybe @GlennO will see this but if anyone else perusing through here sees this that knows what to do any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Cherub Rock.fasBundle
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
This attached version of the preset might transfer better to the FM3.

View attachment 127329
I imported the single amp version and it came in with no amps if you look at my last post.
Sorry to be causing you any grief if I am with this.
I have an idea though I don't know if it will work but we could try.
I see your picture of how it should look.
Could you save the two different amp channels that you are using to your user library and then share those with me but instead of saving the whole block save them like this: that way I can instead of having two simultaneous amp blocks as you're able to do on the FM9 I could just have one in amp channel A and one in amp channel B and just drop them in the chain myself to piece it together with the rest of the file that's already imported without the amps?
1696121858064.png

Back
Top Bottom