Grrrrrrrr Microsoft!!!!

Wasted a day this week trying to set up a Windows build process at work. We need an automated way to build native DLLs using the MSVC tool chain. But this is really challenging because W10 updates the first chance it gets, which means it essentially refuses to be packaged up as a part of a build pipeline, as you may have a build artifact in 15s or 15m.

At this point I asked IT to set up a Windows server I can call out to when needed, stipulating it needs to be running 24/7 so it isn’t frantically updating. What a waste of my time, their time, and computing resources.

Wasted a day this week trying to set up a Windows build process at work. We need an automated way to build native DLLs using the MSVC tool chain. But this is really challenging because W10 updates the first chance it gets, which means it essentially refuses to be packaged up as a part of a build pipeline, as you may have a build artifact in 15s or 15m.

At this point I asked IT to set up a Windows server I can call out to when needed, stipulating it needs to be running 24/7 so it isn’t frantically updating. What a waste of my time, their time, and computing resources.
The company I work for has 50k users, most running Win10.

There are NO updates that the in-house Windows team don't control. So it is totally possible to prevent.

Most likely (as I believe has been suggested) it's done via domain membership and Group Policies (GPOs).

Also, blocking access to download updates might be a solution in your pipeline.

I'm a unix / Linux guy so I don't have to deal with this nonsense myself ;)

The company I work for has 50k users, most running Win10.

There are NO updates that the in-house Windows team don't control. So it is totally possible to prevent.

Most likely (as I believe has been suggested) it's done via domain membership and Group Policies (GPOs).

Also, blocking access to download updates might be a solution in your pipeline.

I'm a unix / Linux guy so I don't have to deal with this nonsense myself ;)
The university I work for also has updates only when the IT department gives the go ahead.

Is it really too much to ask to simply warn the user that the OS needs an update (you know, like Apple does)?

Apparently it is. So the OS just updates whenever M$ feels it is necessary despite a 20 page document being open with complicated equations that took me several days to author. Fortunately I didn't lose much work but the outcome could've been a lot worse.
1. Run gpedit.msc
2. Navigate to Local Computer Policy->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update
3. Double-click "Configure Automatic Updates" in the panel on the right.
4. Select the Disabled radio button
5. Click OK

I've been running this way for years and have never had an update occur without me manually going to Windows Update and checking for updates.

Back
Top Bottom