Ground Control Pro - Phantom Power

bigedawg

Ok, I must be really slow, but I can't get the Ultra to power the GCP. Here's what I've done...I've purchased a 7 pin midi cable (rocktron) and connected the Out of the GCP to the in of the Fractal. No Power! I also purchased the Rocktron 5-7 pin midi cable (with phantom power tail). The phantom power tail doesn't connect to the phantom power jack of the Fractal. Both the connector on the cable and Fractal are PIN connectors. I also connected the 7 pin side to the fractal In and the 5 pin side to the GCP Out. No Power. Reversed the connection, 7 pin to GCP Out 5 pin to Fractal, no power. What Am I doing Wrong?

Ok, now I'm even more confused. If I was going to need to plug the GCP power supply into the Fractal, why do I need the 7-5 pin midi cable? I might as well just plug the power supply into an outlet, right? I'm really confused!

bigedawg said:
Ok, now I'm even more confused. If I was going to need to plug the GCP power supply into the Fractal, why do I need the 7-5 pin midi cable? I might as well just plug the power supply into an outlet, right? I'm really confused!

No, the axe-fx has no idea what kind of power supply a controller needs. They are all different. This is the way just about all of them work. What it does it keeps you from having to have a wall wart on your pedal board, just one MIDI cable.

bigedawg said:

Ok here is how it works. Take the wall wart for the GCpro and plug it into the back of the AFX just above the midi in. Then take the 7 pin midi cable and plug it into the midi in of the AFX and the midi out of the gcpro. You are now powered up. The AFX is just passing the power from the wart thru to the midi. It is not providing the power, just passing it. Pretty clever actually. It just means you keep the wall wart where your rack gear is and you only need run the midi cable to the gcpro.

7StringJazz said:
bigedawg said:

Ok here is how it works. Take the wall wart for the GCpro and plug it into the back of the AFX just above the midi in. Then take the 7 pin midi cable and plug it into the midi in of the AFX and the midi out of the gcpro. You are now powered up. The AFX is just passing the power from the wart thru to the midi. It is not providing the power, just passing it. Pretty clever actually. It just means you keep the wall wart where your rack gear is and you only need run the midi cable to the gcpro.

Great explanation!! You set me straight right out of the box. Thanks!

Why start a new thread if you can hijack an old one.

I'm using a rocktron all access midi controller to control my axe-fx, yet... I'm also using a 5-7 pins midi-cable from rocktron, this one:
158050.jpg

but the axe-fx and that 5-7 cable have exactly the same ending, both male.

So I guess I need some kind of double penetration piece or cable. Anyone knows where I can find something like that, preferably EU?

Ya'll are thinking about it wrong. You don't need the power adapter on the Axe side, you need it on the pedal side! The power dongle should fit your Rocktron. You plug your wall wart into the Axe, 7 pin side of the cable into the Axe, 5 pin side into your pedal, power dongle into the power on the pedal. I'm guessing if you had a 7 pin to 7 pin, you could eliminate the need for that dongle all together if the pedal takes a 7 pin in for phantom.

With a 5 to 7-pin cable, you plug the 5-pin side into AFX MIDI IN and the MIDI pedal's AC adaptor into the female power receptacle attached to the cable (this feeds AC to pins 6 & 7 on the other end). This allows you to have your MIDI pedal's AC adaptor back at the rack. The 7-pin end of the cable goes into the MID pedal's MIDI OUT jack. The MIDI pedal must have a 7-pin MIDI out jack and accept phantom power over MIDI for this to work. The All Access and MIDI Mate from Rocktron both provide this feature.

With a 7 to 7-pin cable, you would plug either end into the AFX MIDI IN, and the MIDI pedal's AC Adaptor into the female AC phantom power jack on the AFX. The other end of the cable goes into the MIDI pedal's MIDI OUT jack. The power from that supply is carried over pins 6 & 7 to the MIDI pedal.

That makes sense too.

It would just seem redundant to have the power dongle on the Axe-FX side with the built in adapter. Just plug your brick in there & use a 7pin-7pin.

Its where your footcontroller only has a 5pin in is where you need the 5pin side @ the pedal & a matching receptacle, IE, FCB1010.

Back
Top Bottom