Gravity Picks

I love gravity picks. They are my favourite of the boutique picks (v-picks, red bear, wegen, etc). They are made from the same material as V-picks, but they have a lot more options in terms of shape, size and colour. They also have grip holes, which are great (the whole thing about V picks sticking to your fingers is not true). I'd recommend getting the master finish also, as it sounds really cool (this is the equivalent of the v-picks unbuffed finish). V picks are nice too (I especially like the dimension junior), but since I tried gravity I've hardly used my V picks.

PM Mark Day he uses Gravity Picks !

Also, can someone to explain the difference(s) and/or similarities between V-Picks and Gravity Picks ... ?

I just ordered several Gravity Picks, the Razor model, in varying sizes and thickness. I'm playing around with them now to figure out which one I like best. I'm surprised that I kinda like the 2mm size after using this picks for do many years.

Yup. I really liked their clear, red, one that they sent me but...couldn't get my head around the price. Found a nice alternative in Dunlop Gel H picks. Not quite the same edge, but the same material and thickness.

I love gravity picks. They are my favourite of the boutique picks (v-picks, red bear, wegen, etc). They are made from the same material as V-picks, but they have a lot more options in terms of shape, size and colour. They also have grip holes, which are great (the whole thing about V picks sticking to your fingers is not true). I'd recommend getting the master finish also, as it sounds really cool (this is the equivalent of the v-picks unbuffed finish). V picks are nice too (I especially like the dimension junior), but since I tried gravity I've hardly used my V picks.
Hi, I have a few V-picks with holes(looking at one now with 6). That being said, I don't have any that are unbuffed. Do they really grip better? Are there any pics on their site of the master finish ones? To me they all looked buffed.

I like both V-picks and Gravity picks. For me, the V-picks grip better.

I have two Red Bear picks that I don't play because the V-picks stick better. (Yes, you can lick your fingers to make the Red Bear picks stick well. Because, of course, we all want to be doing that when we play...)

I like both V-picks and Gravity picks. For me, the V-picks grip better.

I have two Red Bear picks that I don't play because the V-picks stick better. (Yes, you can lick your fingers to make the Red Bear picks stick well. Because, of course, we all want to be doing that when we play...)
What kind of finish are on your V-Picks, buffed or unbuffed?

Hi, I have a few V-picks with holes(looking at one now with 6). That being said, I don't have any that are unbuffed. Do they really grip better? Are there any pics on their site of the master finish ones? To me they all looked buffed.

The master/unbuffed finish doesn't effect grip. It has a massive effect on tone though. Basically the unbuffed/master picks have rough, slightly abrasive edges, while the standard ones are smooth and shiny. I'm a jazz III guy so the Gravity classic pointed mini is my favourite, but always unbuffed! You get a really cool, percussive almost violin bow sounding tone from the master finish. The high frequencies in particular are very different to traditional picks. I particularly like it with hollowbodies and darker sounding guitars. The big grip holes are fantastic on the gravity picks. That said, my favourite classic mini doesn't have a hole. They all sound a bit different, as the finish is done by hand.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!! Anyone have any idea what pick in the Gravity line is closest to the Dunlop Tortex Orange Medium? I sent Gravity a message on FB, but they haven't replied yet.

Here's my take on it. Both are made from acrylic and both grip very well. Much better grip than tortex, nylon, or pretty much anything else. Both are are available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes including small (like the Jazz III) medium (like the classic pick shape) large, and humungous. Both Chris (Gravity Picks) and Vinny (V-Picks) are great guys and a pleasure to work with. Either company will offer something like what you are looking for. So, the pro's and con's...

V-Picks - Excellent grip. I tried quite a few models and settled on "The Snake". I also like the Diamond (like the Snake but smaller). I prefer thicker picks and both are. Bevel is perfect for my style of playing. I don't like super pointy picks. Both picks are effortless coming off the strings. Excellent for strumming, sweeps and linear phrasing. They are super durable. If they start to drag on the strings, I just buff them on the carpet (don't tell my wife). Good as new. One downside is legato playing. It takes some getting used to when trying to make the picked notes blend well with the legato notes, probably due to the mass of the pick. But with a little practice it works. Another downside is the acrylic "chirp" in the pick attack. The dreaded chirp is a deal killer for some players. I find V-Picks chirp is more pronounced than Gravity picks.

Gravity Picks - Much the same as above. I tried many Gravity picks before settling on two that I favor. I use the Striker (3mm) regular size and big mini. It is even sided (all sides of the pick have the same profile). This is especially useful for performing. I do a lot of palming the pick. Having all sides the same means I don't have to pay attention to the orientation of the pick. Which ever side is used is the same. For me, a very useful feature. Chris sent me some of the Sunrise models and they are great. The big mini size is very similar to a Jazz III. The have a superb bevel and are effortless coming off the strings. The gravity picks have less chirp than the V-picks, at least to my ears.

So, parting thoughts... if you like clear picks, good luck if you drop it on a dark stage. With either pick you are never tempted to throw them to the audience. Both Vinny and Chris are great guys and a pleasure to work with. Sales are quick and customer service is top shelf. Some say the picks are expensive, but after a couple of grand for the fractal, $8oo for the foot controller, another 4k for the Suhr Modern, etc... is $10 for a pick expensive? Nahhhhh.

Thanks for the thread. I have a terrible time with the pick spinning in my hand. I'm a lefty playing right handed and I have awful right hand technique, which is a disastrous combination. :) The trouble with experimenting with these picks is the expense. Since they aren't in the mainstream, you really have to lay out a lot of cash to find one you like. I just ordered a sample pack of the Gravity picks for $40 and it's only a small sample of their offering. After I try them out, I'll be glad to pass them on to someone else interested in trying them, at no cost (for USA shipping). Maybe if there is enough of us out there, we can form a small exchange. I don't mind spending a bunch of money once I decide which pick I like, but the learning process is painful. They really should have a program where you can pay a deposit, receive one of every pick they make, and then have your deposit returned less $10 or $20 when you return the picks.

Also, just FYI, I've been dealing with my grip problem to date by adding one of these to each pick - Cool G-Spot Comfort Zone Grips. They work pretty well.

Thanks for the thread. I have a terrible time with the pick spinning in my hand. I'm a lefty playing right handed and I have awful right hand technique, which is a disastrous combination. :) The trouble with experimenting with these picks is the expense. Since they aren't in the mainstream, you really have to lay out a lot of cash to find one you like. I just ordered a sample pack of the Gravity picks for $40 and it's only a small sample of their offering. After I try them out, I'll be glad to pass them on to someone else interested in trying them, at no cost (for USA shipping). Maybe if there is enough of us out there, we can form a small exchange. I don't mind spending a bunch of money once I decide which pick I like, but the learning process is painful. They really should have a program where you can pay a deposit, receive one of every pick they make, and then have your deposit returned less $10 or $20 when you return the picks.

Also, just FYI, I've been dealing with my grip problem to date by adding one of these to each pick - Cool G-Spot Comfort Zone Grips. They work pretty well.

I'd like to try some as well, Jim!

Back
Top Bottom