Gravity Picks

I feel your pain. Fellow lefty playing righty. So, same issues with my right hand.

Thanks for the thread. I have a terrible time with the pick spinning in my hand. I'm a lefty playing right handed and I have awful right hand technique, which is a disastrous combination. :) The trouble with experimenting with these picks is the expense. Since they aren't in the mainstream, you really have to lay out a lot of cash to find one you like. I just ordered a sample pack of the Gravity picks for $40 and it's only a small sample of their offering. After I try them out, I'll be glad to pass them on to someone else interested in trying them, at no cost (for USA shipping). Maybe if there is enough of us out there, we can form a small exchange. I don't mind spending a bunch of money once I decide which pick I like, but the learning process is painful. They really should have a program where you can pay a deposit, receive one of every pick they make, and then have your deposit returned less $10 or $20 when you return the picks.

Also, just FYI, I've been dealing with my grip problem to date by adding one of these to each pick - Cool G-Spot Comfort Zone Grips. They work pretty well.

I tried V-Picks, got the sampler pack and tried them all. I wanted to like them but they were just too slippery. They would rotate in my grip and I would be suddenly playing with the side of the pick. I went back to blue Dunlop Tortex 1mm.

I ordered some of the V-picks a few years back and was given some of the newer models in the last year or two. I like how they feel but couldn't get used to the chirp they add. I'll still use them occasionally but I stick mostly to Jazz III type picks...

I never liked V-Picks ended up giving them away don't know what it was about them i didn't like. Being they are made of the same material i was hesitant to try Gravity Picks but one day they were running a sale so i picked up a couple i dug them enough to order some customs and settled on the classic pointed big mini 2mm as its closest to what i use for my intune picks. Im not fully converted but i do use them quite a bit.

There is definitely a "chirp" problem with the V-picks (at least, some of them). I've learned how to tame it a bit.

I got a sample pack of the Gravity picks as well and I like them. Not that going back to my normal ones when I can't find the Gravities is a punishment, though.

Never had V-picks, but there was another thread here on picks about a year ago. I read some found the chirpyness of the Gravity was less. If they are the same material I don't see why, though. I do think they are chirpier than standard Heavy's.

I also got a bunch of these a few weeks ago, but only the very pointed ones (Sunrise, Striker, Stealth), which I prefer. I was very pleasantly surprised, and they are now my picks of choice. I used to use V-Picks, which I liked but some of them did have the annoying chirp. They also came in a limited amount of shapes and sizes, and slipped out of my grip. The Gravity picks solved all these issues. They might be made of the same material, but I've got no more slippage issues, which may be down to a better size and shape for my fingers and not necessarily the material. All in all, a fantastic product.

There is definitely a "chirp" problem with the V-picks (at least, some of them). I've learned how to tame it a bit.

I wasn't able to learn to tame the chirp. It was too annoying and I went back to Fender heavy. I'd try Gravity, but the comments that they're made of the same material as V-Picks made me turn away.

I also like the Red Bear picks, but when one of them broke I decided they were just too pricey to get used to (I soak my existing ones in olive oil now, and they seem to last much longer...)

I have a whole drawer of picks that I've tried, and keep going back to the Fender's. Why fight it?

Ah. Here it is: starts at the bottom of the first page
forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/87824-guitar-picks-what-do-you-play.html
Gravity often sends out emails with discounts. Get on his list and wait for one.

Tried some gravity picks at NAMM and they gave out some samples.
They're pretty cool....but not a big difference for me.
I've never been picky about picks though....as long as they're thick...I can play it.
I got some custom picks from intune guitar picks last week with my band logo....they're great. I got fluorescent yellow and they're super easy to see on a dark stage.

Saw this thread a while back and from Yek's post looked into the ChickenPicks. I ended up ordering a set, Tritone III series: Bermuda III 2.1 + 2.7.
They took a long time to get from the Netherlands to Texas (15-16 days). Eppo sent me an extra set at no charge because we were afraid they might have gotten lost in the shipping lanes.
Second set was faster, about 12 days. Nice of him to do that.

Any way......they are killer picks.....thnx Yek. The material gives a very sure grip and doesn't get slick when sweaty. They aren't chirpy like V-Picks can be. They come with a knife edge that will soften up a bit after some use.
I've tried all kinds of picks....gemstone, wood (lignum vitae), Raptor, V-Picks, Wegens, making my own from cow hoof, plus all the usual fare Dunlops, Davas etc. These ChickenPicks are my new go to.

When I visited the Chicken Pix booth at NAMM, I was sold. I bought a bunch and dig 'em. They have everything I like about V-Picks (size / shape / bevel) without the chirp.

I enjoyed the gravity pick I tried out. Definitely liked it better than the other two big ones mentioned here. Found V-Picks way too "chirpy," as well. And even the thinnest ChickenPicks were way, way too thick for me.

Boutique picks have always kinda cracked me up, though, to be honest. They strike me a lot like super boutique guitars with insane boutique woods. The hardcore pros/our heroes never use them. And they're legends. If the standard old Jazz III is good enough for Eric Johnson and John Petrucci, etc. it's good enough for me ;)

Check these out. The Brazillian red agate and Australian black jade materials are exceptional.
Prior to these I used strictly V-Picks, now I use nothing but these gemstone picks.

The owner Daryl is great to deal with also.
Solid Rock Products - The ultimate gemstone guitar picks, thousands of years in the making - NEW

I was sold on these rock picks, and bought 2 ($50 each) which lasted 4 years (image that the same picks for 4 years)

However, as good as they are, it was always a pain if i misplaced them and i eventually lost one and the other , it was really hard goign back to regular picks, as the tapper and attack on them were custom

now i use the blue stubbies, for 10$ i can buy 20 of them

sure i lose 1 a week, but i never have to worry about dropping the thing anymore

I might buy a couple of these gravity picks and see if they make me play like sir guthrie govan, or at least feel good (just for the fun of it)

Check these out. The Brazillian red agate and Australian black jade materials are exceptional.
Prior to these I used strictly V-Picks, now I use nothing but these gemstone picks.

The owner Daryl is great to deal with also.
Solid Rock Products - The ultimate gemstone guitar picks, thousands of years in the making - NEW
Agreed, Daryl offers exceptional service... I ordered a couple of Solid Rock Products Quartz Crystal 3.0mm to try as a result of this thread and because one of my selections was not available, Daryl had me select a replacement at no charge.
The unfortunate part of the story is that the first gig i played with one, it started to break and shatter in my fingers... disappointing for such an expensive pick and i've been hesitant to use the others as a result.

I recently bouth a 1.5m standard Gravity pick with the grip holes in and absolutely loved it. Much nicer and smoother than the purple dunlop ones which have a notiecable join in them. I really like the matrial they are made out of. Previously I bought some red bear picks but snapped one and they were too expensive to get into. I think £4.98 for the gravity pick is worth paying and recently bought another pack of 3 so got a bit of a discount. I think there are the best feeling picks I have ever used. Love them. Makes fast picking and sweeping feel easier and less of a battle!

In future I will get more of the Triangle shaped ones. The shape that Frank Gambale points out you get 3 times the life out of..excellent tip!

Back
Top Bottom