Got the DLM8's today.

zentman

Experienced
So far I like them. First off, look how small they are. It's almost comical. What isn't comical is the huge fat guitar tones I was just getting. I was really worried about low end but I am dialing a boatload of it back.

I don't know about 2000 watts but they are louder than anywhere I will ever get to play them. Nice punch too.

I really liked those things I made (see pic) as they were so guitar like and big sounding. I know it's all about how neutral can your FRFR be but they sounded great to me even though most certainly not flat.

These DLMs started off right out of the box reminding me why a lot of these FRFR things kinda bug me. Always something about the lows (pretty sure it's not my patches). I played around with all the DSP stuff though and got them to really kick it where I like it to be kicked. I am getting nice tones. These are not reference monitor flat thingies but they have enough control to get what you want out of them. They sound much bigger than they look. They also sound very good at low volumes. Amazing tech here.

I called a friend with a church where I can put these behind me Sunday and see how they sound live. I have another friend with a gym sized church that will let me just play to an empty hall to see what they can do. I will report on each of those.

If these can do what I hear in my room and not wimp out live they're keepers.

Did I mention they are frikkin small!????

rrij.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool man... really looking forward to hear what you have to say about them. I have been thinking about the Atomic CLR's and it would be really cool if TK came out with a power house 8" version.

Interested to see how they hold up to a gig.

I ran with the FBT 8ma for a long time - a 8" can do the job. No real 'impact' but they were up to the job. With 2000 watts (!) these DLM's should be able to be heard!

For old church guys like me they will likely never be truly tested. All that Aviom/IEM/No stage volume stuff. Still I will try them in that empty church for giggles. The other gig is so quiet I could use my studio monitors.

I will say that at 6 am on the Sunday's I use them as monitors, I will be glad they weigh 21 lbs. :)

Last edited:
Do you miss the stage volume? There are things—like sustaining a note for four bars while the band plays over it—that you just can't do without a speaker next to you.

Do you miss the stage volume? There are things—like sustaining a note for four bars while the band plays over it—that you just can't do without a speaker next to you.

Sometimes you get lucky and catch it from the house on certain patches. Most of the time it's just not the same. One monitor with you blasting is great for that stuff. Too bad some places don't let you do that. :( A fast vibrato will keep some notes singing but not blooming.

Last edited:
That's what I figured. I totally get the need to tame stage volume; I've wrestled with it from the other side of desk. But I'd sorely miss the sound and feel of it.

my backup choice if the EV ZXA1 doesnt pass the test for me once I get it.. but they look awesome. Glad to hear the hype is warranted so far.

Back
Top Bottom