Got my BeyerDynamic DT 880 Pro, 250 ohm, but hardly any volume

Even if I dial up the output 1 volume to the max, the sound is just ok and I would like to turn up the volume more. Do I need a good headphone preamp to get this to work at it's best? Also, patches that don't clip start clipping when I use a headphone! All I do I switch back the cabs in the global menu.

Can anyone please help?

thanks

There should be more than enough volume without any preamp. Sounds like there is some issue with your presets or global parameters (maybe global mix is too low?).

There should be more than enough volume without any preamp. Sounds like there is some issue with your presets or global parameters (maybe global mix is too low?).

Well, I work with a Two Rock and the four cable method, and I have set the levels to a maximum with a 12db pad as suggested in the manual for maximum SNR

With the 12 dB pad on you are getting 12 dB less out of the outputs. That's 1/4 the signal.

Hi Joost, I own 880s too, 250 Ohm.
It's correct that you gotta crank the output level on the Axe for decent signal.
If you want louder signal, use a headphones amp (anything will do), or use a small mixer if you have one.

Is it signal clipping or is it CPU overload?
Enabling cab simul. Increases CPU usage a lot.

I've never really liked the sound of beyer dynamics without a nice headphone amp. The resistance is damn high. If you compare to something like the audio technica ATH M50 which has an impedance of 38 ohms, they are a pain in the ass to drive.

With the 12 dB pad on you are getting 12 dB less out of the outputs. That's 1/4 the signal.

Yeah, I was afraid of that, but I need those pad settings to keep the noise down when using the 4CM, setting the SNR to an optimum as the manual suggests. Also, I need to switch the cabs in and out and switch back to stereo. That means using a headphone while using the 4CM is a real pain. Resetting the levels and pads, changing from mono to stereo, cabs in and out. It would be really cool if you could setup the headphone out differently than output 1 (with cabs all the time and always stereo for instance)

Hi Joost, I own 880s too, 250 Ohm.
It's correct that you gotta crank the output level on the Axe for decent signal.
If you want louder signal, use a headphones amp (anything will do), or use a small mixer if you have one.

Ok, thanks, I'll get one.

Is it signal clipping or is it CPU overload?
Enabling cab simul. Increases CPU usage a lot.

No it's really output 1 clipping.

I have the exact headphones & there is plenty of output volume - 12:00 on the Output Volume is all I can stand.

If you're using the 12db pad - I can see how you could max out the volume but it still "should" be plenty loud (but everyone's idea of loud is different).

FWIW - I use the Sony MDR-7509HD (@ 24Ω) w/ the Axe II - I think they sound quite a bit better.

got the 770s and over half the volume my ears starts bleeding ;) so there might be an issues with your lvls

test it with: new preset and a synth with 1khz sine lfo at 0db ;)

Even if I dial up the output 1 volume to the max, the sound is just ok and I would like to turn up the volume more. Do I need a good headphone preamp to get this to work at it's best? Also, patches that don't clip start clipping when I use a headphone! All I do I switch back the cabs in the global menu.

Can anyone please help?

thanks

You may want to swap as new for the exact same headphones except with a 32 ohm input...I went from 600 ohm to 32 and it made huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom