got my axe fx with a pair of studio monitors,need some help.

bmf5150

playing the axe-fx with stock presets through my krk rockit 5 monitors,i notice the tones are really flat sounding,how do i liven it up?do i do it through the global eq settings?need advice?

Re: got my axe fx with a pair of studio monitors,need some h

I would start with just and amp and a cab to get a tone you like. Pick an amp you are familiar with and then experiment with cabs, try and get a tone you like with the basic amp controls and maybe add a GEQ or PEQ. That should get you going, then add fx. If you like fx from other patches, copy them and add them to your patch after you get a nice tone.

The axe is very influenced by your other equipment, and is the reason Axe-change patches don't always translate very well and why some people love the factory presets and some hate them. I am of the latter group .

IMO

You could also try to send more signal from AxeFx to your monitors to "wake them up"
and then adjust general volume on monitors, might help.

Muris_Varajic said:
You could also try to send more signal from AxeFx to your monitors to "wake them up"
and then adjust general volume on monitors, might help.

This is true. Big difference in tone when I run my poweramp low and crank the AXE versus cranking the poweramp and barely turning the AXE up...

it seems like with these monitors,you need to turn them up some to get all the freq out of them.they cant be played quiet.

bmf5150 said:
it seems like with these monitors,you need to turn them up some to get all the freq out of them.they cant be played quiet.

I have some cheap monitors and that is the case with them as well.

plus im use to nicer computer speakers,and everything is brighter with them.lol..this is my first set of studio monitors

Check around the back of your speakers to ensure proper level of HF is offered. Keeping it "flat" is how the manufacturer generates the data shown for their response, but this does not mean your space won't be a little "dead". The opposite is true in most cases.....

rokit_rp5g2_rear_1200.jpg

diggi said:
Check around the back of your speakers to ensure proper level of HF is offered. Keeping it "flat" is how the manufacturer generates the data shown for their response, but this does not mean your space won't be a little "dead". The opposite is true in most cases.....

rokit_rp5g2_rear_1200.jpg
thanks for the advice,i will make sure im set at 0...do you notice that as well,that they sound flat unless you crank some volume through them?

volume always helps !! :mrgreen:

Not to come off like a smart ass or anything, but...if you had to ask for advice before just tweaking the volume knob on your monitors...you may have a steep learning curve when you dive into the axe.

Just a question about the two inputs: should be ok if I run the Axe into with the XLR and at the same time the sound card with the balanced TRS, or I risk to damage my monitors?
I have Adam A5 instead of KRK Rokit, but should be the same.

I don't have experience with studio monitors.that's why I asked.

Pula said:
Just a question about the two inputs: should be ok if I run the Axe into with the XLR and at the same time the sound card with the balanced TRS, or I risk to damage my monitors?
I have Adam A5 instead of KRK Rokit, but should be the same.

If both inputs or mated (paired) than you can use both inputs at the same time. Sometimes a devices inputs are switched. For instance, I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer that has two sets of inputs; one TRS and one Composite (that's RCA for you youngins), but the instructions specifically warn against using both at the same time. On the other hand I have a set of M-Audio BX8s that I use for playing music tracks AND playing my e-drums (really friggin' loudly) and it works just fine. In fact M-Audio makes a point to advertise that they make sure all inputs on their gear is mated so that you can use the monitors for multiple purposes at once.

bmf5150 said:
I don't have experience with studio monitors.that's why I asked.

No harm in asking. Though, it is kinda' funny to say that your monitors sound too flat when the entire purpose of reference monitors is to have as flat a response as possible ;)

well i figured out the problem.it was the monitors i was using.i was using the KRK rockit 5,they sound horrible with the axe-fx in my opinion.through those speakers this thing sounded like an am radio...i went and exchanged them with jbl lsr2325..what a huge difference!!!!it was like going from an AM radio to FM...the tone is amazing!!!!im in heaven,sorry for any stupid questions,and thanks for all your help!!!

Glad you got it figured out. I found the same thing with my monitors. I have Event BAS20/20's which are decent monitors..but when I got my QSC's it made a world of difference.

I apologize for the comment above... I was just messin' with ya'

I'm so glad I figured it out..its amazing the difference in the studio monitors....no need to apologize,I could have chose better words to convey what I was trying to say.....thanks for your guys help.....

5" monitors usually don't cut it. You want something with an 8" or larger IME.

FractalAudio said:
5" monitors usually don't cut it. You want something with an 8" or larger IME.

NO ONE SAY "THAT"S WHAT SHE SAID" :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom