Goodbye, safe travels...

Dendrite

Inspired
Does anyone else get a little emo when you sell a guitar? It's not like it's my best friend, or my girlfriend, or anything other than a few lbs of wood and metal. But it always feels a little like I'm abandoning a small child at the UPS store. Guess I'm too much of a sensitive 90's guy!

Speaking of... I got one on the way out. In the past I've used the box from another purchase to box up my departing guitar, but I don't have that right now. Does UPS have the right boxes, or what's the best way to source it for cheap?

Speaking of... I got one on the way out. In the past I've used the box from another purchase to box up my departing guitar, but I don't have that right now. Does UPS have the right boxes, or what's the best way to source it for cheap?

Check with your local guitar shop. I know the local shop here tosses out (recycles) boxes from guitars they put on display in the store and I can get boxes for free.

Does anyone else get a little emo when you sell a guitar? It's not like it's my best friend, or my girlfriend, or anything other than a few lbs of wood and metal. But it always feels a little like I'm abandoning a small child at the UPS store. Guess I'm too much of a sensitive 90's guy!

Precisely why I can never sell my guitars - no matter how little I play it - or that thing that annoys me about playing one - I just can't do it - I just keep amassing them for the estate sale some day when I'm gone....

No, because I don't sell the ones I play or am attached to. I watch the local craigslist for good deals on old guitars and when I bring a new one home, I'll find out pretty quickly if it's one that's just going to collect dust or one that I'll get attached to. Those will get traded for something else or sold again for profit towards some other music toy.

There was one guitar, a mint condition rg7620 I got for $300. Original receipt was in the box for $1100 in 1998. I don't play 7 strings much anymore so I sold it to a friend. It's funny though because I didn't even play the guitar more than a handful of times but it was in such good condition like it had never been played in 20 years. I do feel bad for selling that one.

Oh man, based on your title I thought this was about buying a motorcycle or something....

Anyway,

I recently sold my SG - have had it about 10 years. Sad, but I haven't played it in about 5 :)

I also made money on it, so that's good.

Boxes can usually be had at local music stores - call around first though.

Now you've depressed me by making me think of my 74 Les Paul Deluxe which I got used in 81 and was my only guitar for 11 years......

Got the box. Quick in and out at GC. Now if the guy would just pay I can get it shipped.

Yeah... selling girlfriends gets kinda tricky. Particularly when your married.

Bought and sold a few. My only selling regrets are my 1965 Guild Thunderbird and my 1965 SG Custom (cream color and maestro trem arm). Sold the T-bird due to hard times and sold the SG to get a Martin D-41 (which I still have). For those of you who are thinking that was really dumb, I'm right there with ya. That was really dumb.

I would get way more emotional selling a guitar than I would selling a girlfriend.

Well, with the right girlfriend, you could sell her over and over.

purple%20pimp.jpg

I have some that will go to the grave with me, but some were just good buys and in the future I can flip when needed and make a few bucks. I have sold a couple I regret, and the last one I sold through Reverb was a nightmare situation that finally got rectified. So i'm not selling for a while if ever again.

I recently sold my first high quality guitar, a PRS custom 22. I just wasn't playing it and picked up a les paul R8 that I loved. I actually gave the PRS box a kiss before heading into UPS to drop it off. I have this rule with gear and guitars that I need to unload gear to buy gear. It keeps my finances in check but most gear is easy, not the PRS. That said I really only have two good electrics right now (R8 and Nash Strat) and I'm already thinking I really should have more than 2 solid electrics :)

I have this rule with gear and guitars that I need to unload gear to buy gear.

Yep, this. It's the only way I can justify a new purchase to myself... keeps things revenue neutral(ish). So I suck it up and kiss the old goodbye. Then start the fling with the new!

Most of my guitars or basses I bought used, so I think of it as sending them off on another adventure with another player.

I always hope the other person enjoys the instrument as much as I did or more so (since I am selling it off).

Also, I am always curious if the songs the "new" person plays on the instrument are similar to the ones I played on the instrument, or the ones a previous owner prior to me has played on it.

The only thing I’ve ever sold is my AxeFx II mark 1 on reverb...went painlessly in less than an hour....don’t think I could sell a guitar, even the ones I’ve grown to hate.....

Back
Top Bottom