Goodbye everyone, I have just sold my Axe Fx II

Its two years now since it arrived. Don't get me wrong - no complaints, great product, godsent for a frequently performing player and those with vast musical imagination. It turned out its an overkill for me even though I am pretty proud of my musical imagination. I realized I was spending too much time tweaking not enough time playing. Last 6 months I was using simultanously Overloud TH2 plugin in my home studio which came included in Sonar X2 DAW. I have come up with many equally satisfying sounds and decided TH2 is my weapon from now on. My heart and mind tell me though I will be missing:

- members of the most friendly and helpful forum i.e. you guys
- Trainwreck, CAE and EVH III amp models
- Black Room preset
- Tone Match, I have never wanted to sound like that or another guy on an album but it was cool to reproduce my own sound from the old past when I used (now forgotten) borrowed amp
- firmware updates, I know no other company or industry to take so much care of its customers

If you are reading this, Cliff, I have great respect for you and admire what you have achieved. And the guys (and ladies) here are in good hands.

Keep doing great music everyone

Best

Pawel

What the most important thing is, is to know what you want and finding something that works for you.

I disagree with your "spending too much time tweaking" stance. That is a personal choice and really has nothing to do with the Axe FX, but more to do with you were looking for a sound you couldn't get and usually this happens when you don't know what you are looking for, you just know it's not "that."

we've seen a few guys say the same thing only to return later on and be out of pocket for a 2nd Axe purchase, so, not saying this is you, but I always hold off selling something until I am completely sure.

good luck on your tone quest.

I would nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnever go back, literally makes NO sense whatsoever, especially to some software thing! I suppose if some band asked me to joint them for a world tour and wanted to lug around 15 Engl STacks for me I would let them :) (Id still keep the axe in my bedroom)

I totally and completely understand the too much time spent tweaking and not enough time playing! Totally. For me I spend so much time playing I hardly have time for tweaking. My priority is playing so my tweaking attempts must be quick and focused. So much programming between the Axe Fx and LF+12+. I have a gig tonight so programming I go.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the kind words. Indeed I could get great sounds instantly and for the first two months preset 30 -Wrecker - was all I ever wanted. It was so tempting to tweak and tweak that I discovered I am not improving as a guitarist nor home studio "engineer". My unit is now in hands of a much better player. I might be back one day though (for the Trainwreck alone)

P.S. Special thanks to Admin who has moved this thread several times so it landed at deepest, farest hole on this forum :)

Last edited:
.....and you didn't had the chance to experience FW 13....you gonna Bite yourself in the butt Boy, if you hear it...

Not for everybody, I get that.
Its the endless tweaking thing I don't get? Especially with the AF II, just use some some basic controls and your off and running, everything else is frosting on the cake. OK the Standard/Ultra I found myself diving in a bit more often. Re-routing effects is a joy on this thing, if you change your mind about the order of things.

But let me tell you what I do remember tweaking!

I remember a rig I had that required 3 midi channels, so I was careful when I made changes to the midi board and took more time and though than I deal with now.
I remember cutting cables for pedal boards, processors and so on (within a rack in my case) audio/AC/midi, soldering all of this together.
I remember trying to keep the audio cables separate from the AC and wall-warts
I remember changing out a processor, having to open up the cable and AC ties in some cases cut more cables to length do some more soldering, fire it up check for ground hum, then re-tie all cables again.
I remember changing tubes.
I remember constantly screwing with the EQ since tubes are in a constant state of change/wear
I remember balancing out all of this gear (gain wise) was not always easy at times, compromises were made,mostly because of the pedals, but there were other factors.

These are the things I remember tweaking!
And don't get me wrong it was a labor of love and proud of my rig but I spent far more time doing this than tweaking the Axe Fx Standard, Ultra, or II.
John

Good point, in your case Axe Fx saves you lots of time. Much impressed with your experience. Like I said godsent for a pro player, overkill for a home recording

.....and you didn't had the chance to experience FW 13....you gonna Bite yourself in the butt Boy, if you hear it...

I will experience FW13 and I am sure I will bite myself and will cry loudly. Part of the deal is I will be helping a new owner to get familiar with it for the next of couple of weeks.

I've never understood these types of posts, especially considering:

Goodbye everyone, I have just sold my Axe Fx II
Its two years now since it arrived.
Afrodrum - Posts: 5

See the same behavior on gaming forums. Is it just some sort of psychological or symbolic "cutting of the cord" or something?

I didn't go on to Angel Soft's website and post a goodbye when I switched to Northern Quilted or anything. I didn't post a farewell on Digitech's forums when I stopped using their stuff. Doubt you'll see a farewell from me here if I ever move on from the AFX.

So to the OP, bye, good luck, whatever. Hope it helps you "move on".

/shrug

It appears he wanted to thank everyone for their help. Nothing more nothing less. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Not for everybody, I get that.
Its the endless tweaking thing I don't get? Especially with the AF II, just use some some basic controls and your off and running, everything else is frosting on the cake. OK the Standard/Ultra I found myself diving in a bit more often. Re-routing effects is a joy on this thing, if you change your mind about the order of things.

But let me tell you what I do remember tweaking!

I remember a rig I had that required 3 midi channels, so I was careful when I made changes to the midi board and took more time and though than I deal with now.
I remember cutting cables for pedal boards, processors and so on (within a rack in my case) audio/AC/midi, soldering all of this together.
I remember trying to keep the audio cables separate from the AC and wall-warts
I remember changing out a processor, having to open up the cable and AC ties in some cases cut more cables to length do some more soldering, fire it up check for ground hum, then re-tie all cables again.
I remember changing tubes.
I remember constantly screwing with the EQ since tubes are in a constant state of change/wear
I remember balancing out all of this gear (gain wise) was not always easy at times, compromises were made,mostly because of the pedals, but there were other factors.

These are the things I remember tweaking!
And don't get me wrong it was a labor of love and proud of my rig but I spent far more time doing this than tweaking the Axe Fx Standard, Ultra, or II.
John

[Head] <--------- Hit nail here.

Some study done somewhere (must find out more) suggested that the less options people have, then they tend to be happier overall.

To the OP: Cutting the cord makes sense. :)

See you soon! :D ;) (Kidding.)

Have fun, and the best of luck.

It appears he wanted to thank everyone for their help. Nothing more nothing less. Seems reasonable enough to me.

I feel terrible then. I'd better go say goodbye to the good folks over at Angel Soft. They kept my bumm nice-n-tidy for years, and I'm betting they're losing sleep over my discontinued patronage. They're probably wondering where I've been.

/snap!

Back
Top Bottom