Good Marshall style amps; bridging the gap between vintage and modern?

The Trip Tik is good. The Archon. The Spawn Quickrod models are good. CAE3+ is modern marshall vibe. The Soldano models are all great too. FAS Hot Rod. Lots of options in there!
I’ll have to check some of these out! I don’t even know what the Trip Tik is! Haha I heard the Spawn Quickrod models are cool too!

My actual Friedman BE-100 sounds just like you've explained, briding the gap between vintage and modern dream Marshall tones. I couldn't bond with the Axe models for some reason however. With the new firmware I really like all the other Marshall-based higher gain options (namely the Cameron and Splawn and even the Trainwrecks).

+1 for Brit Silver.

The new revision of it is spot on from my experience with them (I don’t have any 2555’s to compare it to anymore as they were all sold when I got sounds close enough).

I’ve also started going down the “modded Marshall” rabbit hole with jumped JMP’s by adding input boost and saturation then moving the MV location which brings them into a more modern sound.

Edit - Added “Location” for MV to clarify.

Last edited:
The Friedman BE V1 and BE 2010 with a lowered negative feedback do the job for me. I also really like the Splawn Models and the 800 mod for that.

My actual Friedman BE-100 sounds just like you've explained, briding the gap between vintage and modern dream Marshall tones. I couldn't bond with the Axe models for some reason however. With the new firmware I really like all the other Marshall-based higher gain options (namely the Cameron and Splawn and even the Trainwrecks).
Yeah, something about the low end and low mids that seems a bit much to me. For some reason, when I hear other people play them, they are midrangey and chewy, but when I try them, they either seem too sizzly, or too dark and wooly. The odd thing though is I use it a lot in recording for double tracked rhythms, but I don't gel with them live for some reason.

+1 for Brit Silver.

The new revision of it is spot on from my experience with them (I don’t have any 2555’s to compare it to anymore as they were all sold when I got sounds close enough).

I’ve also started going down the “modded Marshall” rabbit hole with jumped JMP’s by adding input boost and saturation then moving the MV which brings them into a more modern sound.
Where do you move the MV to? How does that work?? :)

To me, the MV defaults of 4 or 5 seems high.
I usually start with MV's at 2 to 3 then up the level to get back to 0dB.
Maybe I just like preamp distortion more than power amp. Idk.
Which is where modern amps get their gain. Jcm800 and back, the gain comes from the whole thing. This is probably why boosting a cranked one works wonders.

From the blocks guide;
IMG_1101.jpeg
Moving the location of the Master Volume can help simulate some common mods where a Master Volume was added to a non master volume amp or an additional one put in to help users be able to push the preamp without the immense volume.

I’ve found that moving this to Post PI and reducing the MV level a little can change the character.

Edit - I’m in no way an expert in any of this, I just mess around with things. I also think this may have been pointed out in a video somewhere by another forum member.

I’ve added the Brit silver to my live gig rig to cross the line between vintage Marshalls and modern ones. Much of the tone comes from the cab block IRs and the speaker impedance curve (SIC) in the amp block.

To me, the MV defaults of 4 or 5 seems high.
I usually start with MV's at 2 to 3 then up the level to get back to 0dB.
Maybe I just like preamp distortion more than power amp. Idk.
Oh, got ya! I thought you meant like, virtually changing the position of the MV one of those internal settings.. my bad hahaha there more I think about it, I wasn’t think when I replied hahah

EDIT: Oh wait... replied too soon again haha so you CAN change the position according to a post above! That’s what I was wondering about :)

Back
Top Bottom