Good headphones for the FM9?

FWIW, I've never been impressed with Beyerdynamic headphones. The tracks I've had in to master that I know were mixed on them were also really far off from what I like in terms of frequency response.

Oddly enough, that graph of the DT 240 isn't that far off from what I remember doing to them.

Correct headphone FR is not flat (it's actually not flat for speakers either, though it is simpler than for IEMs or headphones), and Sonarworks actually has a specific non-flat target that they use for headphones (which, AFAIK, they don't publish).

Crinacle's measurements/reviews/rankings (https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/ and https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/) are not a bad place to start.

Remember...what your monitors do well, your mix/sound will do badly - e.g., if your headphones/speakers/etc. are super bassy, what you make on them will sound thin on average.

View attachment 127993
View attachment 127994
View attachment 127995

Personally I have the 560s headphones. Very reasonably priced. Really happy with the sound overall. I don't like booming bass so I really like the bass response. I do find them a little bright in the presence area. you get used to the brightness very quickly but it's their only downside and something to be aware of.These are average measurements from SoundID (Sonarworks....)

View attachment 128018
How did you generate those frequency response curves and do you have one for DT770 Pro?

How did you generate those frequency response curves and do you have one for DT770 Pro?
Sonarworks or as they call themselves now SoundID which is just awful branding from them.
I don't use the calibration software anymore because I don't like the way it sounds but seeing the measurements is really useful.
Here are the various 770 Pro profiles
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 17.19.41.png
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 17.20.39.pngScreenshot 2024-04-28 at 17.21.01.pngScreenshot 2024-04-28 at 17.24.48.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 17.21.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 17.21.21.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 3
Sonarworks or as they call themselves now SoundID which is just awful branding from them.
I don't use the calibration software anymore because I don't like the way it sounds but seeing the measurements is really useful.
Here are the various 770 Pro profiles
View attachment 139538
View attachment 139539View attachment 139540View attachment 139542

Ah thanks man! Much appreciated!

I ordered some DT 770 Pro X - which have a detachable cable that the DT 770 Pro did not. Also the X seem to only come in one impedance - 48 ohm. The X version was just released at NAMM this year (2024). Some sort of Centennial hommage. They might have a different driver than the regular 770 Pro.

I ordered some DT 770 Pro X - which have a detachable cable that the DT 770 Pro did not. Also the X seem to only come in one impedance - 48 ohm. The X version was just released at NAMM this year (2024). Some sort of Centennial hommage. They might have a different driver than the regular 770 Pro.
I use the 770 Pro X for almost everything from tracking to mixing and of course setting up fractal presets.
I swear I bought them in 2023 tho. I like them a lot.

Good stuff! hope you like them.
Personally I absolutely adore open back headphones. it's a great compromise where you can hear almost everything but while there is alot of sound leakage obviously your not going to wake the neighbours.
MY sennheiser 560s are 120ohms and using them with the FM9 I would say I never have the volume past 5% so I imagine 48ohms being even more touchy....so be careful with the volume!

Good stuff! hope you like them.
Personally I absolutely adore open back headphones. it's a great compromise where you can hear almost everything but while there is alot of sound leakage obviously your not going to wake the neighbours.
MY sennheiser 560s are 120ohms and using them with the FM9 I would say I never have the volume past 5% so I imagine 48ohms being even more touchy....so be careful with the volume!
I had 80 ohm DT 770 Pro (non X) and had the volume about half on Output 1. Wasn't blasting my ears either.

Back
Top Bottom