Good headphones for the FM9?

anyone using these 120 ohm hp's with their FM9?
Sennheiser HD 560 S
To answer your question you will need a quality headphone amp around 500$ to drive those even then it wont compare to 1,000$ IEM's

Those HD800's are around 1,500$ - bass is terrible with two amps - took quite a loss but happy they are gone - rip off

IEM's will be fine without an amp but I use two amps on them - my Theiaudio Monarch II's and now my new Theiaudio Monarch III's anyway I like to have headroom with loud quality clean bass mids and treble
OK, thnk you, was wondering about using high ohm hps w/fm9, my interest was to see if there was a corded hp that was better than what I'm using.

I don't have a specific recommendation for headphones to buy....it almost seems like people hear headphones differently, and I wonder if the shape of people's ears have more of an effect on headphone sound than most people want to admit.

Just as an example, I've recently seen a handful of people online saying that MDR-7506s or MDR-V6s are their reference headphones. I've had one set of those or another sitting around since like 2006. They're all crazy bright to me. I like them for specific things and can use them. But, I'd never call them a reference set for me.

I've heard good things about getting headphones from Sonarworks with an individual calibration profile. But...you can't use their calibration with the fractal unless you put a computer in the way of your headphone signal....which is an option as long as you can do it with low enough latency. I almost wish Sonarworks would release a headphone amp that lets you use the calibration profile via DSP by just plugging it in.

What I do is to not use Output 1 for anything else while I'm using headphones/IEMs and put a PEQ block before it. I'll set it up to output pink noise from my computer on both the headphones (through the fractal) and my main speakers (not through the fractal) and adjust the headphone EQ until they sound "close enough".

If there are other issues with your headphones, it won't fix those. But if it's just frequency response, you can probably get a lot closer. Also, FWIW, I don't think I've ever had headphones or IEMs that didn't "require" or at least sound better with some EQ. I also don't think I've used anything "nicer" than Shure 535s, and I don't think I've ever heard anything that was meaningfully better than some of the 5 or 6-driver KZ chi-fi IEMs. I also strongly prefer IEMs to headphones in general for some reason.
You asked for a headphone amp with eq. Mini dsp makes a headphone amp with a programmable 10 band eq.

https://www.focal.com/headphones/clear/

If price is not an issue, these are the best I’ve used with Fractal gear
55 ohms. No headphone amp needed?

I did a comparison in a local shop, and brought my Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X phones. I tested brands such as Audeze, HiFiMAN, Focal, and Meze. The Meze Audio 109 Pro really stood out, and I have a pair on order now. Expensive but I'm using phones a lot lately and I hate ear fatigue.
Same question for you Yek. No need for headphone amp?

I have Sennheiser HD650, Beyer DT 770 250ohm, and Ollo s5x headphones I use these days. My first choice is the Ollo, because the audio difference between them and the others is very obvious.

The FM9 drives all of them well, but I trust the Ollo to match the sound of my EV cabinets, whereas I drop in a compensating curve to counter the others when EQing.

I have Sennheiser HD650, Beyer DT 770 250ohm, and Ollo s5x headphones I use these days. My first choice is the Ollo, because the audio difference between them and the others is very obvious.

The FM9 drives all of them well, but I trust the Ollo to match the sound of my EV cabinets, whereas I drop in a compensating curve to counter the others when EQing.
Thanks for your response Greg, this also helps me, I am however, concerned with the additional volume a open headphone may bring in my apartment when playing at louder volumes in the late/early hours, I've not used open before so wondering will an open headphone make the sound significantly louder in the room? (cant wake the neighbors or better half)...

Thanks for your response Greg, this also helps me, I am however, concerned with the additional volume a open headphone may bring in my apartment when playing at louder volumes in the late/early hours, I've not used open before so wondering will an open headphone make the sound significantly louder in the room? (cant wake the neighbors or better half)...
OK never mind I found this article and my answer is here
cheers,

They're not loud at all on the outside; If they were loud enough to disturb someone in another room they'd be loud enough to seriously damage your hearing.

I have my HD650 on a stand beside my computer, and if I'm not wearing them but sound is being routed to them I can barely hear them. The speakers are positioned so close to our ears that it doesn't take much volume to make them be loud less than 1" away.

PS - SoundGearLab says that the outside sound is estimated at ~30-35% of the internal volume.
Open back headphones are estimated to leak about 30-35% of sound.
My girlfriend likes a quiet house, so I use headphones a lot. Both the HD650 and the Ollo S5X are open-back and she's never complained. She'll close a door if I have an amp at conversation level in comparison. That's anecdotal but might give some reference.

Last edited:
I have Sennheiser 560s and they are slightly bright around the 5-6k area but the low end is nicely balanced and the mid range is impressive.
I was looking to buy something better but I didn’t realise it doesn’t get too much better….

I have Sennheiser 560s and they are slightly bright around the 5-6k area but the low end is nicely balanced and the mid range is impressive.
I was looking to buy something better but I didn’t realise it doesn’t get too much better….
Typically sound reproduction runs into diminishing returns as the price goes up. There's a big selection of medium-priced headphones that work well and need a little compensation. I like my Sennheiser and beyerdynamic with some small EQing, but the Ollo S5X, which are a bit more expensive don't need any. They're my favorites for everything.

I've tried several headphones. I'm enjoying the Beyerdynamics DT880 250ohm the best now, or the DT 700 pro x when I need more isolation (Virtual Capo or playing my 335). I also like the Drop HD6xx and the sennheiser HD599se, which have a bit of low boost not good maybe for dialing tones but I like it for playing.

So I was going to order a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, then I saw the Beyer dynamic, DT 240 PRO, and they were sold out, so just wondering if anyone is using a par on their fas system.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 08.33.43.png
Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 08.32.47.png
Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 08.31.39.png

Personally I have the 560s headphones. Very reasonably priced. Really happy with the sound overall. I don't like booming bass so I really like the bass response. I do find them a little bright in the presence area. you get used to the brightness very quickly but it's their only downside and something to be aware of.These are average measurements from SoundID (Sonarworks....)

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 17.08.15.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom