Gonna order an FM9 Turbo

Nice Rack Canada in Toronto does at least some repairs. They swapped the display in my Axe-FX. I’m using the FM9 with the same EV, give me a shout if you want, OP.

Thanks. I've been looking at my EV tonight. I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't really played with it much. When you use it with your FM9 do you set the bass\treble flat?

Thanks. I've been looking at my EV tonight. I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't really played with it much. When you use it with your FM9 do you set the bass\treble flat?
Yes, and I set it to Music. The others modes don’t sound good to me.

I was playing around with those modes with my guitar straight in. I will have to wait till I get the FM9 to see what I think sounds best.
I think there’s another mode called Club that I thought sounded good at first. Then I realized it was way too much bass.

Buying new is it worth getting the 3 year extended warranty as well?
Imo, no. I've been here 3.5 years, and have seen hardly any FM9 issues. I have the Axe III (also 3.5 years), waited until the 1 year warranty was almost gone, then opted not to get it. Haven't had a single issue, and it gets used every day.

One might argue, But an FM is subject to a harsher environment, and that is true. But if the overall quiet-ness of any problems with Fractal devices in general is any indication (there have been a few USB issues I remember seeing with FM3's), FAS has built the FM9 with that consideration well in hand.

Plus, I'd wager most any issue caused by gigging would probably not even be a warranty issue.
What is the general reliability of these units?
Among the absolute best imo, of any product.

I typically gig my FM9 in mono through a single FR10 having previously played regular amps through 1x12 cabs. No complaints. However, adding an additional 1x12 makes stereo a possibility which can sound glorious in the right environment.
As for a guide to getting started, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Cooper Carter Masterclass. Totally worth the price of admission and will give you a terrific understanding of the unit and how to get the best from it. For reference, I've used modellers since the Pod2 kidney bean was released and still learnt a ton of stuff)

I checked out the cooper carter masterclass on his website. Watched a couple of his videos on youtube. I'll probably give my self a month or so of self discovery and getting familiar with the unit via the owners manual. Then I'll invest in the masterclass
When you pay for this do you get access to videos indefinitely or is there a time limit?

Thats what I figured. I won't really be interested in a stereo speaker set up for stage, at least not initially. Maybe never. I'd rather keep my set up small. For me with traditional amps the difference between 1X12 and 2X12 is dramatic. I'd prefer 4X12 but 2X12 is a good compromise to keep the volume down (and sometimes 2x12 is a struggle) as well as 4X12 cabinets just aren't practical to haul at my age. The EV ZLx is pretty light for a powered speaker. I've had it connected with its bluetooth function and I've had it in a headphone jack of my SSL2+ interface just to hear what it sounds like. Seems like a very quality speaker.
I guess sometime next week when I get my FM9 I'll see how it works with that.

I use a Center Point Spacestation XL for mine. 1x12 FRFR with a couple 1x8 side speakers to project the stereo imaging. Has a pair of XLR outs on the bottom of the rear side for FOH to use (or for daisy-chaining, if you need to be that loud).

Here's an old pic, from when I was running the Axe FX III:
20200924_132521.jpg

if you need to be that loud).
I'm hoping this whole digital thing negates the need to be loud anymore. Its getting harder and harder to use tube amps at venues due to the volume requirements. Last year I played a fair where the sound man basically had my amp turned down to where it was almost off. It was a massive stage and a big room. No cage around the drums and his volume was 10x mine. I'm hoping for venues like that I could just plug in to FOH and have him feed my guitar through the monitors. Maybe not ideal but for those bigger venues maybe the best way to go. And the lack of gear I'd need to haul would be a benefit.

I'm hoping this whole digital thing negates the need to be loud anymore. Its getting harder and harder to use tube amps at venues due to the volume requirements. Last year I played a fair where the sound man basically had my amp turned down to where it was almost off. It was a massive stage and a big room. No cage around the drums and his volume was 10x mine. I'm hoping for venues like that I could just plug in to FOH and have him feed my guitar through the monitors. Maybe not ideal but for those bigger venues maybe the best way to go. And the lack of gear I'd need to haul would be a benefit.

I find it helps a lot with getting the cranked tone at a more reasonable volume. That said, nothing gets around Fletcher/Munson, so if you play too quietly, it will sound a little bass and treble deficient, just like anything else. That can be fixed somewhat with some EQ, but you only want that on the line out to your on-stage monitor, to help what you hear sound better at low volume. Since the FM9 has two pairs of XLR outputs, you can use one your for monitor and one for FOH, and each has its own separate volume knob and Output EQ.

I use a PEQ block controlled by one of the Manual knobs (which I've added to the Global Performance controls) to bump up or drop the lows and highs, which works decently to get a good sound at a quiet level....

Flat:
Screenshot%202024-08-03%20at%2010.52.45%E2%80%AFAM.png

Boosted "loudness" curve (useful for when you are playing a live preset in your house and your OL complains "it's too loud!"):
Screenshot%202024-08-03%20at%2010.53.34%E2%80%AFAM.png

Cut "loudness" curve (useful for when you make a preset at a quiet volume and it's all boom and sizzle with not enough mids):
Screenshot%202024-08-03%20at%2010.53.50%E2%80%AFAM.png

The knob can get any point in between, too....

I checked out the cooper carter masterclass on his website. Watched a couple of his videos on youtube. I'll probably give my self a month or so of self discovery and getting familiar with the unit via the owners manual. Then I'll invest in the masterclass
When you pay for this do you get access to videos indefinitely or is there a time limit?
I'm pretty sure it's pay once and you can access indefinitely.
I thought I had a pretty good idea of modeller basics having had a Pod2, AX8, & HX Stomp before the FM3 and now FM9. My only regret is not checking out the masterclass sooner- I found it much better than trying to cobble ideas together from various YouTube clips.
Enjoy the FM9. Once you get to grips with it you'll find it extremely capable and enables you to do stuff that just isn't possible outside of the Fractal ecosystem.

Interesting Joe comp and gate after amp and cab - I never tried that always before any reason why you decided to do that ? I'll have to try that - thanks

The gate is triggered by the input signal, but located after the noisy bits.

The comp is set so leads just break over the knee/threshold, to keep reins on accidental volume spikes caused by stuff like drives and boosts in front of the amp . Rhythm stuff is a bit less loud, and passes straight through unrestrained....

The gate is triggered by the input signal, but located after the noisy bits.

The comp is set so leads just break over the knee/threshold, to keep reins on accidental volume spikes caused by stuff like drives and boosts in front of the amp . Rhythm stuff is a bit less loud, and passes straight through unrestrained....
Thanks my Friend appreciate it - cool layout

Hello everyone. I'm from Canada. I did look to see if there was an introductory section but couldn't find one. So hopefully its ok for me to introduce my self here.
I've been trying to break in to the modeling game for a while now. Happily played my tube amps live on stage for 45+ years. I did dabble in some processors (Roland GP16\D50) back in the late 80's\early 90's while with a touring band. But since then its been fairly simple with tube amps and pedals.
A couple months back I sprung for a Helix Floor from Long and McQuade. I spent lots of time with it for a few days and then returned it. I think the main thing I have to get my head around the fact that its different than tube amps. I have to concentrate on creating great sounding patches.
I also considered the Tonex but I think I want something more than just amp models.
In all my research and reading reviews I have never read a bad thing about the Fractal gear, other than steep learning curve if you want to get fancy. It seems to be almost universally agreed on that its the best sounding, closest in feel of tubes, of all the modelers. So I'm seriously considering a leap of faith in ordering an FM9 Turbo. I retire from my IT job in a few years and would like to get away from my independence on tubes that seem to be getting more and more expensive. My main use for the FM9 will be live stage, which I will probably use, initially with an EV ZLX 12" powered monitor until I get the hang of the unit and source maybe a better FRFR solution. I will likely also experiment with some recording as I have a decent set up. I'm not too interested in purchasing third party patches, etc. But who knows what the future brings. I'd like to get it gig ready the way it is and play that way for a while.
The band I currently play with isn't too serious so mostly small venues with sound coming off stage. Although every summer we do have a few fair gigs with soundmen that will have us FOH.
I thought about waiting for a used one to pop up in Canada but they aren't that expensive new so maybe I'll just spring for a new one. I will likely sell my Mesa Fillmore 50 and cabinet to help cover the cost (although not right away) and keep my other amp, which is a Fargen Double british classic 50 head and 2x12 cab. Although that amp is much bigger and heavier to haul to a gig then my mesa I can't ever see parting with it. I love that amp.
A couple questions:
Buying new is it worth getting the 3 year extended warranty as well?
If it does go down, does anyone know if there Canadian locations for repair, or does it simply have to be shipped back to the US?
What is the general reliability of these units?
I found the Helix floor pretty well built. Is the FM9 build quality equal or better?
I can pretty much guarantee you will not be disappointed with a FM9T once you own it! I did not get extended warrantee and have not had any problems except for the learning curve.

I found the Helix floor pretty well built. Is the FM9 build quality equal or better?
In my opinion you can't go wrong with an FM9. All the floor models are built like tanks, and to be honest as an ex helix floor owner, the Fractals are more robust.

If you check over on the line 6 forum you'll see there's been an ongoing issue with the footswitches on the Helix floor. I never had any issues with mine but I wasn't gigging it and I was using socks on my feet to operate it. A couple of guys, and o e in particular I remember, who was using it in a professional capacity, had an issue where the switches stopped working and it was a very disappointing conclusion trying to get it fixed.

The Helix has got that nice satin type finish too, which looks great when it's new, but scratches really easily. The finish on the Fractal seems a bit more built for purpose

As a fellow Canadian who went from AX8 to Helix to FM9, I can confirm build quality and reliability feels better.

No real knock on the Helix - I preferred the interface and the unit felt solid, with built-in dual-purpose expression pedal being a great touch. I did have issues with the footswitches that were intermittent and I learned to deal with in the ~2 years I had mine. Sold it to a guy who has been using it religiously for about as long and he loves it!

You can tell when you see, touch, lift, and operate the FM9 that is built to last and perform under pressure. I don't throw my stuff around or crush footswitches but enough pros use this gear that Fractal would have to anticipate and account for that. The only issues I would speak of for me were software related but get fixed with updates or a reboot - just like any electronics - and are really not happening often. And sound? It will gratify you instantly and leave no doubts as you explore it over time.

For what to buy? Get yourself a proper expression pedal and 1/4" TRS cable and you're pretty much set. Later on you might decide you want a second one, but a single gets you started. A decent FRFR wedge really gets you into the "modeler mindset" because your ears will adjust to listening for "that sound" instead of the head+cab in the room you're used to.

If it sounds a little odd to you at first, don't be discouraged, just be open to listening and feeling for the nuances in models and IRs and you'll realize how flexible this piece of gear is. Factory presets are a great starting point, and the Dyna Cabs are an awesome tool for crafting and fine-tuning the sound that is good to you, and great coming out of a loud PA

Welcome to Fractal land and enjoy the ride!

Front speaker is MONO L+R. Side speakers are MONO L-R and R-L respectively (same signal, one side wired out of phase with the other to flip the diff). It's basically the Mid-Side mic technique in reverse.... FOH can take your XLRs from the FM9, and you can enjoy a little personal bubble of great sound for your personal monitor. :)

The (more or less current) FM9 rig (moved a couple small bits around since then):
1000012003.jpg

The XL gets loud enough to get the OL complaining in the other end of the house with the bedroom door shut. Should be loud enough for your requirements, and fits the one cab requirement while delivering some space to your sound, should you decide you like it....

I received the FM9 today and had to immediately run out and pick up an FR12 as I wanted that to be the first thing I plugged in to. I was prepared to be a little disappointed listening to some of the factory presets. I know I was with the Helix Floor. Even after a few days of constant tweaking with the Helix floor, I didn't feel I came up with anything useable.
So I power up the FM9 and the first thing that comes up is 59 bassguy. I was pleasantly surprised. This would actually be useable on stage right now. If this is my starting point I'm looking forward to what I can do once accomplish the learning curve.
In years of dabbling with digital modeling in one way or the other this is the first time I can believe "Couldn't tell tube from this in a blind test".

Attachments

• fm9.jpg
    fm9.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom