Gonna order an FM9 Turbo

golfnut

Inspired
Hello everyone. I'm from Canada. I did look to see if there was an introductory section but couldn't find one. So hopefully its ok for me to introduce my self here.
I've been trying to break in to the modeling game for a while now. Happily played my tube amps live on stage for 45+ years. I did dabble in some processors (Roland GP16\D50) back in the late 80's\early 90's while with a touring band. But since then its been fairly simple with tube amps and pedals.
A couple months back I sprung for a Helix Floor from Long and McQuade. I spent lots of time with it for a few days and then returned it. I think the main thing I have to get my head around the fact that its different than tube amps. I have to concentrate on creating great sounding patches.
I also considered the Tonex but I think I want something more than just amp models.
In all my research and reading reviews I have never read a bad thing about the Fractal gear, other than steep learning curve if you want to get fancy. It seems to be almost universally agreed on that its the best sounding, closest in feel of tubes, of all the modelers. So I'm seriously considering a leap of faith in ordering an FM9 Turbo. I retire from my IT job in a few years and would like to get away from my independence on tubes that seem to be getting more and more expensive. My main use for the FM9 will be live stage, which I will probably use, initially with an EV ZLX 12" powered monitor until I get the hang of the unit and source maybe a better FRFR solution. I will likely also experiment with some recording as I have a decent set up. I'm not too interested in purchasing third party patches, etc. But who knows what the future brings. I'd like to get it gig ready the way it is and play that way for a while.
The band I currently play with isn't too serious so mostly small venues with sound coming off stage. Although every summer we do have a few fair gigs with soundmen that will have us FOH.
I thought about waiting for a used one to pop up in Canada but they aren't that expensive new so maybe I'll just spring for a new one. I will likely sell my Mesa Fillmore 50 and cabinet to help cover the cost (although not right away) and keep my other amp, which is a Fargen Double british classic 50 head and 2x12 cab. Although that amp is much bigger and heavier to haul to a gig then my mesa I can't ever see parting with it. I love that amp.
A couple questions:
Buying new is it worth getting the 3 year extended warranty as well?
If it does go down, does anyone know if there Canadian locations for repair, or does it simply have to be shipped back to the US?
What is the general reliability of these units?
I found the Helix floor pretty well built. Is the FM9 build quality equal or better?

I don't believe there is a Canadian repair shop. I think you would need to ship it back to the USA for repair.

I have not had Line 6 gear so I cannot compare directly but the Fractal stuff seems well built.

Hard to say if the extra warranty is worthwhile. Depends on how much gigging you will do with it and how strapped financially you would be to repair or replace it.

Welcome to Fractal land.

Welcome @golfnut!

Many of us here had similar experience. Decades happily playing tube amps, but looking to delve into the convenience and power of a great modeler. You won’t find a more roadworthy and tour-proven unit than Fractal Audio. In my 13 years of gigging them, I’ve had no failures at all. If you ever need service, they are quick to fix and return your gear. What further separates them is the after-the-sale firmware and community support. There’s nothing out there that even comes close on those two important factors.

Jump in, you’ll enjoy it. Bit of a learning curve, but completely giggable as received. And you can tweak as you learn, with lots of help available here.

one additional question. If I purchase the FM9 Turbo, other than an FRFR cab, is there anything else thats necessary or recommended to buy with it?

one additional question. If I purchase the FM9 Turbo, other than an FRFR cab, is there anything else thats necessary or recommended to buy with it?
I’d suggest you consider an expression pedal if you like wah/volume/mix controls. Not necessary, but adds to the fun. FAS also has good expression pedals as well.

Welcome! A few thoughts:
1. There is no need to get bogged down in the complexity of the FM9 at first. Find a preset you like, copy it to the user section, and tweak to taste. The more you play with it, the more you learn.
2. I've done well over 100 gigs with an AX8 and an FM9. Not a single issue.
3. A volume pedal can be used before the input (any pedal, in fact), but an expression pedal (TRS cable) is needed as an external controller. Almost any will work, and far more flexible.

I have a mission volume pedal. Would that work?
Some volume pedals can be adapted to expression pedal use, so you might check with Mission support to see if your specific pedal does have the capability. Mission makes good pedals, in my experience.

Question for anyone that can answer.
I'm planning on using a powered EV monitor that I already have, initially. Just a single 12" speaker. In the past I almost always preferred 2X12 combos or 2x12 cabinets.
With modeling I know its going to be a different animal. Is there much benefit to 2x12 speakers over 1x12?

And one other question, is there a good getting started document I can download?

I'm planning on using a powered EV monitor that I already have, initially. Just a single 12" speaker. In the past I almost always preferred 2X12 combos or 2x12 cabinets.
With modeling I know its going to be a different animal. Is there much benefit to 2x12 speakers over 1x12?

And one other question, is there a good getting started document I can download?
no! Many folks her run either1 12 like you have or 2 for stereo or mono with 2 cabinets.

I presume you mean that you preferred 2x12 guitar cabs. You can get that "2x12" tone or "4x12" tone or whatever via a 1x12 FRFR and FOH. There is simply no comparing a guitar rig component with a hi-fi system.

I presume you mean that you preferred 2x12 guitar cabs. You can get that "2x12" tone or "4x12" tone or whatever via a 1x12 FRFR and FOH. There is simply no comparing a guitar rig component with a hi-fi system.

Thats what I figured. I won't really be interested in a stereo speaker set up for stage, at least not initially. Maybe never. I'd rather keep my set up small. For me with traditional amps the difference between 1X12 and 2X12 is dramatic. I'd prefer 4X12 but 2X12 is a good compromise to keep the volume down (and sometimes 2x12 is a struggle) as well as 4X12 cabinets just aren't practical to haul at my age. The EV ZLx is pretty light for a powered speaker. I've had it connected with its bluetooth function and I've had it in a headphone jack of my SSL2+ interface just to hear what it sounds like. Seems like a very quality speaker.
I guess sometime next week when I get my FM9 I'll see how it works with that.

One really cool thing with a modeler is that you can use 4 virtual 4x12 cabs and get GOBS of sound and not have to carry the cabs, and not have to have any more volume than you actually need. If you use Cab-Lab, you can actually use even MORE cabs by combining the IRs.

Keeping it simple, just choose the virtual cab you want, no compromise.

I don't believe there is a Canadian repair shop. I think you would need to ship it back to the USA for repair.

I have not had Line 6 gear so I cannot compare directly but the Fractal stuff seems well built.

Hard to say if the extra warranty is worthwhile. Depends on how much gigging you will do with it and how strapped financially you would be to repair or replace it.

Welcome to Fractal land.
Nice Rack Canada in Toronto does at least some repairs. They swapped the display in my Axe-FX. I’m using the FM9 with the same EV, give me a shout if you want, OP.

I typically gig my FM9 in mono through a single FR10 having previously played regular amps through 1x12 cabs. No complaints. However, adding an additional 1x12 makes stereo a possibility which can sound glorious in the right environment.
As for a guide to getting started, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Cooper Carter Masterclass. Totally worth the price of admission and will give you a terrific understanding of the unit and how to get the best from it. For reference, I've used modellers since the Pod2 kidney bean was released and still learnt a ton of stuff)

Back
Top Bottom